What approximately can you earn as a DJ in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nope, no contradiction whatsoever:

1. The definition of "job" does not mention anything more than performing a task for an agreed upon form of compensation.
  2. "None" is still an agreed upon amount.
  3. Second Life DJs do not often have any costs they must recoup.
  4. Freelancers do get paid - hence the listings.
  5. Reality still is not in your corner.

Now then, feel free to further respond/twist things around/look for "gotcha" moments to your heart's content - you're not changing a single thing and no further responses are really needed. not serious ones at any rate.

Have fun yelling at the clouds.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

Just now, Zack Massiel said:

@Solar Legion yelling at clouds can be fun though! :D

True enough. It simply gets very irritating when someone insists upon doing so despite getting feedback from multiple sources - including present and former members of a particular profession (some little more than hobbyists, yes) - correcting their mistaken ideas.

Irritating and tiresome.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

You contradict yourself.

Because the definition of job is a paid position or regular employment. The definition of employment is the state of having paid work and according to you a DJ is not a job, that's what it comes down to. WRONG.

Payments are made in Second Life in $L or Linden Dollars.

"Unless" otherwise specified. Open the Job forum, and few are transparent about it.

Now, your statements about the DJ. I only read excuses but you forget one thing. No matter how the DJ performs his "work", it remains a "job" and here we go again "the definition of job is a paid position or regular employment. The definition of employment is the state of having paid work"

Circular argument is circular. Please get off the merry go round.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Circular argument is circular. Please get off the merry go round.

Rather, I think people should stay on-topic or open their own thread. You are actually violating the Guidelines. 🚩

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

Edited by Heathcliff Harbrough
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

Rather, I think people should stay on-topic or open their own thread. You are actually violating the Guidelines. 🚩

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

He is and so are all of us. You opened the discussion to what the definition of a job is and we have been saying what it is. And yes, it became a circular argument because it’s going round and round the same debate. 

28 minutes ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

Are you for real or is this some kind of performance art? How is pointing out you are using a circular argument breaking any guidelines? My first post in this thread was on topic as was my subsequent ones were, whereas you chose to go off topic from the OP. And now you are threatening to report me for responding to your post. Be sure to report your own off topic posts when you report mine.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Are you for real or is this some kind of performance art? How is pointing out you are using a circular argument breaking any guidelines? My first post in this thread was on topic as was my subsequent ones were, whereas you chose to go off topic from the OP. And now you are threatening to report me for responding to your post. Be sure to report your own off topic posts when you report mine.

Furthermore, what he defines as "off topic" is quite irrelevant. Linden Lab makes that call, no one else.

funny how it's only now supposedly "off topic" ... I wonder why that could be ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

Rather, I think people should stay on-topic or open their own thread. 

If you do any reading of other posts here, especially in this General Discussion section of the forum, you'll find that threads often take on a life of their own in regards to where the topic strays off to.   

I didn't really think there was much diversion from the topic, as most of what I read seemed to do with DJ jobs and DJ pay in SL.

If you're a freelance DJ, then I would assume you could look for jobs where you would have some negotiating room on determining the payment for your services.  For clubs, either look for places where you don't have to split tips with the host or the venue, or keep looking until you find a club that pays a rate along with tips.  I get the feeling from things I've heard and read that SL club owners are not making a fortune, if they net anything, from running their clubs.  If you put as much energy into looking for jobs that pay what you think you're worth as you do in debating the meaning of things in this thread, you should do well. 

I'm not really surprised that other working DJ's have not come here and posted what they are making, this being a public forum and all.  You might do better striking up some acquaintances in the DJ community and club owner community and asking people individually, after you've established some relationships. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

I agree, if they use the word "hiring" or "job" this involves $L for providing service or labor, LOGIC.

When they don't pay it's not a job but volunteering under false conditions or flat-out said they live in a selfish bubble so they can make money.

When people say: "Ahh this is SL and you don't do it for the money"

Right, first of all, don't think or talk for me. One comes for fun, but most for a second life. Guess what, that describes the whole definition of "Second Life".

Well, if they say it's a job with no pay,  there are no false conditions and you are free to walk away.  Why do you think there are 574658498374 DJs in SL?  Because it's basically an unskilled HOBBY.  I save the job for RL so I can pay for my SL hobbies.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Well, if they say it's a job with no pay,  there are no false conditions and you are free to walk away.  Why do you think there are 574658498374 DJs in SL?  Because it's basically an unskilled HOBBY.  I save the job for RL so I can pay for my SL hobbies.

And 574658498372 play the same stuff.  Maybe find one playing other stuff here and there...

9 hours ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

Because the definition of job is a paid position or regular employment. The definition of employment is the state of having paid work and according to you a DJ is not a job, that's what it comes down to. WRONG.

Damn all this time my parents lied to me when they said it was my job to take out the rubbish and do the dishes. I didn't get paid for it. Clearly I should have. Might go and sue them for underpayment.

Not to mention all those poor bank robbers who say their next job will be opening the safe in the National Bank. How dare those banks with all that money not pay those robbers for doing their 'job' in a bank.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Haha 4

I'd say that nowadays a good dj earns around L$ 1 000 in tips per hour set, knowing that it depends where and at which time he/she performs. Can be much higher especially for live singers or musicians if paid directly by a land owner or club (some even in real money), knowing that it stays at a so little amount compared to real life that it is still interesting for some people to hire on SL. For the others let's say a few hundred L$. Good hosts are quite in the same level (and many others are "starving"). Anyway for most djs (and especially hosts) consider that it is first for their own passion and to pay the SL bill, may it be renting or clothing. On the other side also consider that most clubs owners spend time losing money and really do that by passion, knowing here again that on SL that passion is low cost compared to RL ... And you forgot one population making money on djs = "agents" ... and they make money setting up agendas and events. PS: Keep in mind that tips are much smaller than they were 10 years ago and really good djs or musicians are not so numerous ... being a good SL club (good selection / friendly place) or good dj (with a real musical culture) is not just doing Youtube bis or a radio. 

[Moderator Edit: Link to MKT Product Listing Removed]

Edited by Dakota Linden
[Moderator Edit: Link to MKT Product Listing Removed]

• 3 weeks later...

I used to go to a lot of clubs when i 1st wondered in to SL 2006/7 , but now i hardly vist , I perfer live singers more now, and now and again i will come across a DJ at a celebration or party. 

But regarding the topic -of Payment for DJ or Entertainment, I would prob Hire (paid) if i felt they had the skills and the skils would be something like a Commercial Broadcasting licence, real cd/vin mixers, + references   & some sort of following, weather that be facebook, sound cloud or in-world following. But if they are a dj, that just uses sam,mix, or a copied version of V-Dj, they have no references, & no following , then yea, sorry but there is millions of you already & its going to be tips only. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, julieare said:

But regarding the topic -of Payment for DJ or Entertainment, I would prob Hire (paid) if i felt they had the skills and the skils would be something like a Commercial Broadcasting licence, real cd/vin mixers, + references   & some sort of following, weather that be facebook, sound cloud or in-world following. But if they are a dj, that just uses sam,mix, or a copied version of V-Dj, they have no references, & no following , then yea, sorry but there is millions of you already & its going to be tips only.

You won't find anyone will those "skills" today.  Commercial broadcast licenses are only for a broadcast station owner (not internet stations).  DJ's have never needed a technical FCC radio license, and today most don't know the difference between an electron and a ripe banana.

DJ hardware is obsolete - most commercial stations and DJ's use computers for all music and programming.  CD's are about as useful today as a 1960's dial telephone with copper wires.  Digital software is now the standard. Anyone using analog or early digital standalone hardware is just too old to upgrade. But photos of the racks are still impressive.

A following, eg fans, is about all that's important.  Most DJ's with fans have active promotion, managers that spam the clubs.  A DJ with a harem also helps, BDSM, GOR, Bloodlines, Bikers - wherever you can collect willing slaves to attend your sets is useful :)  Even the most popular DJ's with 1000 fans in their groups (a handful in SL) will be lucky to get 20 of them come to a set, if it's a new club.  The largest crowds are attracted to the club atmosphere and reputation, not the DJ.  And those clubs do not pay the DJ.  Those clubs do well when their house stream is on, and no DJ or hostess present.  And don't forget the hostess - a popular hostess, with 1500 friends on her list and a really great forward personality can bring in more people than most DJ's.  Sadly, there are only a handful like that.

My tips for a 2 hr set range from 2,000 to 10,000 - tips only - depends much on who is in the audience.  Average is 2500/set for 4 sets/week.  I don't think I am unskilled - was a professional FM radio DJ back when we could choose our own music and program themes - before 1980 and corporate radio bought out all the independents.  In SL it is basically a hobby with pocket change.  A hobby does not mean unskilled, just not profitable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your comments Jay. You are ambitious or just have more time to spend than I do. I am new to forums, been in sl for a while and DJing for 4 years. I used to do weddings in rl, but only as a weekend hobby, not as my livelihood. I DJ at one club only, in a regular spot Friday nights for two hours. I don't talk a lot and never over the music except at the end of the fade out. I use two laptops for players (MIXX (local),  Spotify (streaming)), a NADY 401 VHF wireless mic system into a TASCAM 106 6 channel mixer and out to the streaming computer using WinAmp's Shoutcast add-in. A 4th computer serves as my viewer computer and I use Firestorm. I build my playlist before hand to fill the 2 hours and then I take requests and dedications. If I play a song and that song generates chat for another song or that artist I'll pop in that song or artist after a couple songs. All the people who run the club (owner, manager, host) and the usual guests are all friends. I told the owner I would work for tips but he "tips" me a small base amount every week and rest comes from the guests. The usual "crowd" is 10-15 people. Anything over L$1000 is a good night for me . Every couple of months some high brow friends of the owner make an appearance and lay down some fat tips to the venue, host and I. The venue does not publicize any that I am aware of, its more like a private party really. I just enjoy playing the music and its a couple hours of downtime and fun for my wife and I. The L$ I make covers my Shoutcast rental, monthly music subscription. Once a quarter I have more L$ than I can possibly spend so I cash out a bunch. It amounts to US$100 a year.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.