Monopoly? Here, Let me forcefeed you.

PekeNL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In responds to a blogpost on the OpenCollar website (https://www.opencollar.at/blog) and me asking groups why I am getting completely unrelated messages from my product, I feel curious what the community thinks as a whole about the practise of using the product you have (which, lets face it -  there's no competition) and make it display several non product related messages and political messages whenever you log in.

People claimed the news feature can be turned off, but I have and I am still getting them somehow.

Yet many people feel offended by receiving 512kb of text once every other week. They call it spam, political propaganda and behave offensive and aggressive in their responses.

Make no mistake! I'm used to being kicked in the face most of the time I publish something, or stand up for what I believe in. Many activists have to deal with that stuff online, especially women.

No. I'm not offended by recieving something every once a week. I -do- get annoyed when its something I am not interested in. Just because you think you're an activist, doesn't mean you get to forcefeed your opinions and topics of interests down my throat. Now - you say: Just ignore it, and yes, I would if it wasn't that often. But OpenCollar has a monopoly position within Second Life, and using that 'power' to stroke your self-rightious SJW material on us isn't something I signed up for when I get OpenCollar.

This is always about what matters to me, because I'm so emotionally entangled in Second Life®, and live a part of my life on this beautiful and creative platform, I obviously want to share on SL what I care about and do in RL.

A lot of people come to SL to escape real life, to have a safe haven from the daily problems and stress of the living, working world we live in. its great you see SL as part of your RL - Keep doing it! But others don't.

Imagine having such a massive ego that you can't just release a product without having to tie it to something completely unrelated because you feel morally obligated and eveyone else but you is wrong. What does me having sexual activities to collar functions have to do with an oil spill, BLM or the extinction of hedgehogs in the UK.

Nothing.

/r

Anybody got any opinion or ready to pick me apart? Go ahead! I'd love to hear anybody's take on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I was typing that too with more words and too many typos so I gave up and put the kettle on instead 

Brits unite. I've got the builders in today. Luckily I know how to make the perfect builders' brew. Cup of char for you?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, PekeNL said:

OpenCollar has a monopoly position within Second Life

Not actually true

The Virtual Disgrace system a.k.a Peanut is not actually run by the people behind OpenCollar - the names get interchaged incorrectly and to the annoyance of each set of designers - it has an opencollar web address I guess from a heritage stance. Both systems share a common and colourful heritage and so are mostly compatible and may appear to be the same but are actually quite different under the hood in the code and updates.

Opencollar itself is at this website https://opencollar.cc/ 

Edited by Kade Huntsman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

what's that about?  :) 

Cup of char = cup of tea. Scouser = person from Liverpool.

12 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

us scousers do like a proper builders brew.  In a mug?

Of course in a mug! 

I also hoped this thread would be about the board game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Brits unite. I've got the builders in today. Luckily I know how to make the perfect builders' brew. Cup of char for you?

Too strong for me but I'll take a biccie, ta.  Just keep the bums out of sight.

To the OP;  I don't use the device/HUD/I don't know what but I detest being bludgeoned by irrelevant messages.  I walked out of a well-known performance art show because they were spouting long paragraphs of political lectures inbetween acts of the spectacle I came to see.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Of course in a mug! 

BTW  builders and tea.... recent work done on my house = 2 bags of sugar in a month when generally a bag of sugar lasts me at least 3 months.

back to the OP.  Yeah there are more than one open collar versions.  Use the version that suits your needs

• Like 1

Just now, Cindy Evanier said:

BTW  builders and tea.... recent work done on my house = 2 bags of sugar in a month when generally a bag of sugar lasts me at least 3 months.

back to the OP.  Yeah there are more than one open collar versions.  Use the version that suits your needs

You see. I didn't know that (Not bad for someone on SL for like 5/6 years, right?). I legit thought there was only one version, lmao.

Makes me feel stupid for ranting like I did :P

• Like 1

Just now, PekeNL said:

You see. I didn't know that (Not bad for someone on SL for like 5/6 years, right?). I legit thought there was only one version, lmao.

Makes me feel stupid for ranting like I did :P

Don't worry.  We like a good rant.  Gives us a chance to derail and talk about builders tea.  If you hang around a bit you will get some Taylor Swift, Jason and Rachel memes :D 

This got on my nerves a lot too, and I'm both a woman and support the same positions she does. I still loathe being forcibly advertised to!

Sadly, with no refunds, the only real options are moving back to the free open source scripts, or scripting your own if you can - the latter being what I opted for. The only tricky part was having the follow function because I'm vector-challenged.

edit: extra bit deleted - regular Opencollar works just like the Peanut clone, it's just harder to figure out where to get the scripts. OpenCollar Headquarters, for the record, and you too can stop being annoyed!

Edited by Cinos Field

3 hours ago, Kade Huntsman said:

Both systems share a common and colourful heritage

It's not only the heritage that is colourful, the language used between the two rival developing team is too. :P

3 hours ago, Kade Huntsman said:

The Virtual Disgrace system a.k.a Peanut is not actually run by the people behind OpenCollar - the names get interchaged incorrectly and to the annoyance of each set of designers

For those who aren't familiar with the story already, the original Old Team of OpenCollar developer decided to withdraw from the project a few years ago and assigned a New Team to take over. However, after a while New Team started to take the project in a direction Old Team wasn't really happy about and and eventually they stepped in, persuaded LL to give them back ownership of the group and launched their own update to OpenCollar.

New Team didn't give up though, they still had the website and the Temple of the Collar region and controlled most of the existing users. So they rebranded their version to Virtual Disgrace and Peanut and kept going.

---

46 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

The regular opencollar one isn't quite as good as Wendy's copy, and it's absolute agony to copy all their scripts into SL since there are no updates.

What do you mean no updates? Last OpenCollar update was only four months ago.

• Like 2

that is not being done by opencollar.. that is being done by a competitor of opencollar.. vd.. run by a different person.. 

what you are probably wearing is a vd or peanut collar which has no affiliation with opencoallar at all.

opencollar.at is run by vd and not the original OC group byt the creator and founder of the fireflower group. which has turned to using her product and groups and discord for activist reasons

the address related to the true open source open collar ends in .cc not .at

if your collar says peanut in its settings menu.. its a vd not an OC.

I know the hole history of what happened between the two groups I was there during it all. it wasnt pretty.

and the new oc collars are just as easy to use as vd collars and just as easy to update. but they do use a new system which is not compatible with the old vd scripts.

currently oc is on 7.5 with an alpha version of 8.0 in the works.

i myself use a 7.3 hybrid that I made by using various scripts from both oc and vd to suit my needs.

seach in world for OpenCollar to find the real OC group.

or search in places for KBar West to find the real place to get the real OC collars.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

that is not being done by opencollar.. that is being done by a competitor of opencollar.. vd.. run by a different person.. 

what you are probably wearing is a vd or peanut collar which has no affiliation with opencoallar at all.

opencollar.at is run by vd and not the original OC group byt the creator and founder of the fireflower group. which has turned to using her product and groups and discord for activist reasons

the address related to the true open source open collar ends in .cc not .at

if your collar says peanut in its settings menu.. its a vd not an OC.

I know the hole history of what happened between the two groups I was there during it all. it wasnt pretty.

and the new oc collars are just as easy to use as vd collars and just as easy to update. but they do use a new system which is not compatible with the old vd scripts.

currently oc is on 7.5 with an alpha version of 8.0 in the works.

i myself use a 7.3 hybrid that I made by using various scripts from both oc and vd to suit my needs.

Yea I'm using a Vd and just got a spam about an oil spill or something like that..

I like the collar itself, but if those messages get to where they start to annoy me I'll probably switch..

It's just in general chat anyways where i see it.. So I'm not too worried about it right now..

If they start to get political, I'll drop it like a bad habit..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.