Monopoly? Here, Let me forcefeed you.

PekeNL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Drakonadrgora DarkfoldLooks to me like someone got a chip on their shoulder here.

OC is an opensource project doesn't have an owner or an official group. Just because Linden Labs allowed the original group creator to assume ownership of a group they abandoned on their own volition doesn't make it so.

Whichever team produces the best improvements, is the most reactive and maintains the project in the long term is the reference. Being at the origin of an opensource project doesn't grant you anymore power on that project than any other developer.

When someone disappear for 3 years and suddently comes back because they don't like the way things are going, it is irrelevant that they created said project, they have to prove their worth and commitment allover again. The world hasn't stopped turning in their absence.

To quickly reply to the OP @PekeNL There is no monopoly going on here, grab the code and make it your own. The goal of opensource software is to give everyone the right to control and modify the softwares they use. It doesn't mean anyone has to write it for you or that it has to be for free.

• Haha 1

incorrect it does have an official group just because you and others of vd dont want to admit that OpenCollar is the official group doesn't make it so.

Fireflower is nothing more than a fork of the original group and scripts.

Incorrect vd is not the most reactive or maintaining the scripts the most or the reference to how the scripts should be at all. dont come here spouting your lies to try and confuse more people as that group did. the vd changes are not the best improvements to the scripts either by any means.

incorrect they are still the official owner of the group and project, doesn't matter that they took a break for a few years.

your words are typical and to be expected because you are a known supporter of vd and the creator of vd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I completely agree with you.

I purchased the Peanut No. 9 scripts and began to use them in my products until the political activism began. As a highly political person, even I don't want politics in my SL. Every creator I know who uses the scripts had angry customers. We did not agree to any of this before making the purchase of these scripts. Besides, news and activism isn't the same thing. I thought the news meant updates on the products. ( As an American, it's extra annoying to be lectured by someone who doesn't even live in your country.) As I began to learn more, I found out that there's more controversy surrounding this creator than most realize. Peanut No. 9 scripts have a kill switch in them so she has the ability to break the products of any creator or customer who upsets her.

Thankfully, I found out the original OpenCollar project owner came back with some team members to update the project that is now available in Second Life again. I simply changed all of my collars to use the original OpenCollar scripts again. You can delete the Peanut No. 9 scripts out of any collar and replace them with the OpenCollar scripts. If you aren't a builder and you need help with setting it up, feel free to IM me in world. You can find the original OpenCollar project here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/KBar West/28/80/1201

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

@Drakonadrgora DarkfoldLooks to me like someone got a chip on their shoulder here.

OC is an opensource project doesn't have an owner or an official group. Just because Linden Labs allowed the original group creator to assume ownership of a group they abandoned on their own volition doesn't make it so.

Erm.. that is not how opensource works. The original creator always retains copyright and ownership and gives a license to use the product. Wendy was stated by the original owners as just, to put it in their words, a housekeeper until they came back and specifically stated that they are still in charge.

Whichever team produces the best improvements, is the most reactive and maintains the project in the long term is the reference. Being at the origin of an opensource project doesn't grant you anymore power on that project than any other developer.

Odd considering that 'power' that the original creator has, has meant VD having to stop selling Heartcore due to changes made to the open collar script rending it useless and broken.

Your phrase would be akin to saying Linden Lab has the same power as Firestorm developers for their opensource viewer or that the Firestorm Viewer is the reference viewer because it is more popular. LMAO try again.

To quickly reply to the OP @PekeNL There is no monopoly going on here, grab the code and make it your own. The goal of opensource software is to give everyone the right to control and modify the softwares they use. It doesn't mean anyone has to write it for you or that it has to be for free.

There was a monopoly when VD joined with open collar as the way it was managed gave the impression that open collar and VD were the same thing so people just bought those products not knowing that VD was actually separate to the free open collar. The website also showed releases for both systems rather than having two separate websites. Now they have been separated again hopefully that monopoly mentality will diminish.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

Erm.. that is not how opensource works. The original creator always retains copyright and ownership and gives a license to use the product. Wendy was stated by the original owners as just, to put it in their words, a housekeeper until they came back and specifically stated that they are still in charge.

That's cute. I've personally heard her in multiple instances declare the project belonged to her.

Edited by Saucey Sinister

12 minutes ago, Saucey Sinister said:

That's cute. I've personally heard her in multiple instances declare the project belonged to her.

Doesn't necessarily mean she was telling the truth. Go read the OC blogs to find out what actually happened. Its all written out how Athy and Nandana never gave her ownership other than ownership of the SL OC group which is not the same as passing copyright of the source code. Sure she maintained it and altered the code accordingly however that was as far as it went, of which Athy and Nandana were very grateful to her for maintaining it whilst they dealt with RL issues.

No matter what she said she could never claim copyright of the source code without specifically being handed it over to her which never happened. Opensource does not and never has implied that no one owns it, ownership always stays with the creator unless otherwise told differently.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.