Inventory Management

WhisperingPond

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is there a file manager for my inventory that connects to SL without me using the viewer? If I launch the viewer I find a dozen other things to do and then I don't finish what I started. I've accumulated so many items for building, boating, driving, textures, for sale signs, greeters, free stuff etc. I need a week to organize it. I can't do it if I launch SL or Firestorm because I'll start building, or sailing or flying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 answers to this question

Speaking of textures, isn't there something like a texture HUD that holds a lot of textures so you can look at and try out a lot of different textures with just the press of the buttons?  That might be helpful.  I don't have one but have thought about getting one.  Can anyone recommend a good texture HUD for builders?  

18 hours ago, WhisperingPond said:

Thanks for the tips. I tried the Radegast viewer. No fuss, no muss. I finished the job and didn't get sidetracked. Thank you Bree.

If you've already finished the job, your inventory wasn't so bad off after all.

Even with Radegast and thus no other inworld distractions, it would likely still take me a month or more to get my inventory sorted out and properly organized.  Actually, a month might not even be long enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2020 at 4:18 PM, FairreLilette said:

Speaking of textures, isn't there something like a texture HUD that holds a lot of textures so you can look at and try out a lot of different textures with just the press of the buttons?  That might be helpful.  I don't have one but have thought about getting one.  Can anyone recommend a good texture HUD for builders?  

There are literally thousands of texture organizers out there.  Try searching on "texture organizer" in the Marketplace.

These organizers fall into three groups.

The first is what I'll call a "texture board".  These are objects that you rez in world.  They display a pallette of between 16 and a zillion texture images, and usually have a forward and back button to load additional pallettes.  Some of them are more complex, with additional buttons for different categories of textures, like wood, wallpaper, floors, etc.  They range in price from free to over a thousand $L.

The second is a subcategory of these.  I'll call them "loaded" boards.  These can contain tens of thousands of pre-loaded textures.  Almost all of them are stolen, either ripped from the web or stolen from other creators in SL.  Most of the textures aren't really that great, or are unusable for one reason or another.  You'll spend a good part of your life just paging through them trying to find one you want.  The worst of it is, most of them are darn near free.

The third is a texture HUD.  This is similar to a texture board, but it's attached to a screen slot instead of being rezzed in world.  This has pluses and minuses.  On the plus side, it doesn't take up any land impact, and you can view it even if you're somewhere you cannot rez things.  On the minus side, only you can see it, so you can't discuss "which texture should we use" with someone else.  There are probably more of this type, but here is one that I found:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AAC-Texture-Organizer-Hud/4269422

So right now when I need a texture I go to the texture folder on my inventory. (Somehow I have 2. One in my library and another with my other folders. An issue for another day.)

Anyway, if I have an organizer or board or HUD, am I able to select a texture from it or do I still go to the texture directory?

Some textures came with other purchases and so are in various folders. Will an organizer scoop them all into one viewing screen without physically changing their location? 

A scripted object like a texture organizer cannot do anything to change your inventory. In fact, it can't even see your inventory.  LSL cannot be used to address things in your inventory, which resides in the LL servers.   A scripted organizer only sees what you have entered into it. So, if you want to have a way to thumb through all the textures in your inventory and choose one, you have to copy each texture from you inventory into the organizer.  The organizer sorts its content, not your inventory's.  If you want to apply a texture that you have chosen, you are applying it from the organizer, not from your inventory.

Your other minor question about having two Texture folders is easy.   The one in the Library at the bottom contains textures provided to all SL residents by Linden Lab.  You can copy them into your own Textures folder if you wish, but you don't need to.   Your own Textures folder holds the textures that you have bought, uploaded, or been given.  If you get textures when you buy clothing or other items, they will usually be delivered in folders with the clothing.  If you would rather have them in your Textures folder, you can move them easily.  You can also choose to leave them where they are.  You can always search for anything in inventory by name, and can set a filter to search only for Textures, so that you find them wherever they are, and you can display items in each folder alphabetically by name or by date.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.

I never move textures that come with clothing into my Textures folder.  They are doing their job right where they are by sitting in the folder for those clothes.  I can open the folder, and view that texture to remind myself what that outfit looks like.

Also, when you download a snapshot you take in SL to your computer, edit it, and then upload the finished picture back to SL, it shows up as a texture.  I put these in my Snapshots folder, NOT in the Textures folder.

Another time to keep textures in a different place is if you make ads for your products or business.  I keep those in a separate folder.

Or, if I have textures that are associated with a specific project, something I've built.  I'll put those in a little sub-folder within the project's folder.

The thing about Textures is that they serve many purposes.  They can be pictures, or instructions, or slides for a presentation, as well as being textures that you use for building things.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:45 AM, WhisperingPond said:

Is there a file manager for my inventory that connects to SL without me using the viewer? If I launch the viewer I find a dozen other things to do and then I don't finish what I started. I've accumulated so many items for building, boating, driving, textures, for sale signs, greeters, free stuff etc. I need a week to organize it. I can't do it if I launch SL or Firestorm because I'll start building, or sailing or flying. 

You say that like it is a bad thing...

Organizing inventory is a problem. It sounds like you are over thinking it. Everyone has to figure out what works for them. Keep it simple.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.