Maitreya Body

Keiko Kiyori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Also, make sure you get demos of various bodies, Maitreya is not the only mesh body around, It is also not the "best" one. In fact, there may be other bodies which characteristics would suit you better so make an well-informed decision, get demos and choose the one that is best... FOR YOU.

• Like 2

Belleza is also only inworld. 3 different bodies. Slink, 2 different bodies, is in the Marketplace and inworld.

It also depends, how hard do you want to work? It is many more bodies, and for the other bodies, you have to search for clothes and hope you find some.

It is mainly Maitreya, Belleza Freya and Slink Hourglass you find clothes for now. It can change in the future, of course....

For the sake of fairness, it is a body called Legacy and Legacy perky. It has a history..... Read the thread about TMP Legacy here: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/435825-tmp-legacy-mesh-body/

But Legacy is gaining popularity. Look close at the demo, and decide if it is worth the price. Here is a recent survey about what meshbody most people use: https://www.xxsaltandpepperxx.com/mesh-body-survey/

Edit: Another survey, and this one is from June this year, totally fresh: https://www.seraphimsl.com/2020/06/13/mesh-body-survey-female-body-results/

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Keiko Kiyori said:

Which other ones are there and where would I get them?

How much does clothing supply matter to you?

Maitreya is the gold standard in availability of clothing. It far outstrips anything else.

Belleza Freya, Legacy Classic, and Slink Hourglass are widely catered for by clothing creators. The other two Belleza bodies, Slink Physique, and Legacy Perky are rigged for by some but not most creators these days. And any other body would had a limited selection of clothing.

It may be that the shape you can get with the body matters more... which is completely fine! It's a highly personal choice, based on your own needs and desires.

• Like 2

If I made a new avatar today, knowing what I know about the available mesh bodies, I'd go with Maitreya as my first pick - you can always get another body down the line if you want to use it for those outfits it works with (or if you just prefer it without clothes), but since the vast majority of creators rig for Maitreya, you'll just about never have to feel like you made the wrong choice. It's also inexpensive enough that most people can get it when they start out (unless they absolutely want to go the freebie route). Unlike certain other bodies

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It is mainly Maitreya, Belleza Freya and Slink Hourglass you find clothes for now. It can change in the future, of course....

It is mainly Maitreya, Legacy, Freya and Slink Hourglass you can find clothes for now. In that order.  Although its a tossup on Freya vs Legacy for availability. Hit up any current shopping event to confirm.

Edited by missyrideout

I am a Maitreya user.  There just is no other body for me because I can get photos where it looks like a real body compared to the others.  Be sure to get some Bento dances and Bento AO's so your mesh body doesn't contort.  The dances and AO's will say BENTO and most of these are available for DEMO inworld so you can try out Bento AO'S and dances prior to purchase.  If dances or AO'S don't say Bento, they most likely are not.   The non-Bento dances and AO's are for the Classic avatar that comes with SL when you join.  

Maitreya is also the lowest lag body on the grid as per triangles/polygon counts which is a plus also.  Maitreya also comes with a HAND AO in which you can animate the hands.  So be sure to look for the HAND AO after your purchase as it's a cool feature.

Also, if you choose Slink, which I never would, you can buy the hands and feet separately but I believe you can get a package deal inworld with hands and feet that is a bit cheaper.  But, I would not ever use the Slink, the feet and hands could keep flying off - very annoying.  

The hands and feet are included when you purchase the Maitreya body.  No need to buy a bunch of feet as with Slink; however, with Slink I am not sure of their current deals but with Slink you need three pairs of feet.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

But, I would not ever use the Slink, the feet and hands could keep flying off - very annoying.  

I have worn Slink for a couple years, and before that, I wore Slink hands and feet on the system body for several years.  I never had problems with the feet or hands flying off. 

There are 'bundles' at the in-world store which come with hands and feet as part of the bundle, and on the BOM (Redux) version of the female body bundle the hands and feet are no longer separate items from the body.  When you buy a Slink body, you will get both the regular version (with all the onion-skin layers and with alpha cuts) and you will also get the Redux version - which is the BOM version of the body without the onion-skin layers.   

In terms of clothes, Slink Hourglass clothes do seem to be more available than Slink Physique at large events (though at some events even Slink Hourglass may not be as available as the more popular brands listed in posts above).  However, there are still a lot of creators still creating clothes for both Slink bodies.  I think it really depends on what style of clothes you want to wear, and how/where you prefer to shop (Marketplace, big-name events, smaller events or favorite stores that you've come across, etc.).   I tend to not be a big-name event type shopper.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

have worn Slink for a couple years, and before that, I wore Slink hands and feet on the system body for several years.  I never had problems with the feet or hands flying off

Yeah, I probably need to correct that...lol.  It was in the beginning when Slink feet were first invented that the feet would fly off my avatar as these were feet for the Classic Avatar at the time.   The Slink feet were invented first before the Slink body was.  This was also when mesh clothing was first invented too, but at that time, my feet were flying off as it was odd attachment points.  This is quite a few years ago as Slink feet may have been the first kind of a "mesh" item to exist in SL.  We had no mesh bodies nor heads at the time, only Slink feet.  

22 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

There are 'bundles' at the in-world store which come with hands and feet as part of the bundle, and on the BOM (Redux) version of the female body bundle the hands and feet are no longer separate items from the body. 

Are you saying the feet and hands are permanently attached to the Slink body now?  Wow, that is news if that is so?  

If not permanently attached, are there 3 sets of feet or is it set up like Maitreya now where it's one set of feet but the HUD repositions the feet?  

Edited by FairreLilette

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

Yeah, I probably need to correct that...lol.  It was in the beginning when Slink feet were first invented that the feet would fly off my avatar as these were feet for the Classic Avatar at the time.   The Slink feet were invented first before the Slink body was.  This was also when mesh clothing was first invented too, but at that time, my feet were flying off as it was odd attachment points.  This is quite a few years ago as Slink feet may have been the first kind of a "mesh" item to exist in SL.  We had no mesh bodies nor heads at the time, only Slink feet.  

Are you saying the feet and hands are permanently attached to the Slink body now?  Wow, that is news if that is so?  

On the Redux (BOM) version of the body they are if you have the bundle.   I only unpacked the Redux (BOM) version, so I can't say whether they are attached on the non-BOM version or not.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moira Timmerman said:

On the Redux (BOM) version of the body they are if you have the bundle.   I only unpacked the Redux (BOM) version, so I can't say whether they are attached on the non-BOM version or not.   

Wow, that is cool.

To the OP, Keiko, don't buy Slink Feet separately on Marketplace - you don't need those.  Each pair of feet is 675 lindens each and there are three sets, flat, mid and high so it's close to 2000 linden just for feet! on Marketplace.  These Slink feet would be for a Classic avatar if you wanted to add feet but the separate feet are not what you need.  

So, look for the bundle inworld as Moira is speaking about because that will save you a ton of money plus it sounds like a new upgrade to Slink.  Also, looking in the Slink store on Marketplace it shows the body and feet available for purchase separately, this is why you need to go look for the bundle inworld as it could save you a ton of money plus inworld would be the newer upgrades.  

For all the mesh bodies always use ADD and not wear to help avoid things "flying off".  Something we've all had to learn eventually.  

Wear is for your shapes always as with a shape you must always choose WEAR and how to change a shape is to simply wear another shape, and Classic skins, but everything else should be ADD when putting items on to your mesh avatar.  It was a bit different with the old Classics pre-mesh avatars.  

All this Slink information is in case you want Slink.  If you want Slink you really need to shop inworld to get a good deal and for the current upgrades to Slink mesh avatars.  

Edited by FairreLilette

8 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

The hands and feet are included when you purchase the Maitreya body.  No need to buy a bunch of feet as with Slink; however, with Slink I am not sure of their current deals but with Slink you need three pairs of feet.  

Slink's new packages come with 5 feet... ummm... foot positions.

The body, feet, and hands require one attachment point. Or there is a separate body, feet, and hands.

5 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

If not permanently attached, are there 3 sets of feet or is it set up like Maitreya now where it's one set of feet but the HUD repositions the feet?  

You only get the bundle if you have purchased minimum 4 sets of feet. I, as many others, had the three most used ones. It made me disappointed, but it is their business, not my way to say how they do it.

You only get the feet with a HUD to switch between feet if you have the DeLuxe feet with 5 options, Kitten and Pointe added to the rest. They are expensive, and no refund or reduced price, if you already bought some of the feet as separate.

For these reasons, and another reason I keep to myself, I am not buying from Slink anymore.

The bundle comes with the 5 feet. So you get a "bonus" if you have 4 feet. If you have 3 feet, you get them updated, but not a bundle and no more types.

https://slinkstyle.com/slink-redux-and-bakes-on-mesh-faq/

Can I upgrade my hands, feet and body purchases to a bundle

Female:

• Hands
  • Deluxe Feet or at least Four of the single sets of feet
    (Flat, Kitten, Mid, High, Pointe)
  • A Physique body (Original or Hourglass)

You can request an upgrade to a bundle, by sending a message with your avatar name and a list of the Slink body part items you own in-world to Slink Resident (if you do not have all the pieces listed above you may purchase what is missing before contacting her) . You will receive a bundle that contains the same body that you own. There are advantages to the bundles that weren’t included in the separate packs that are worth converting for! An all in one attachment for body, hands and feet as well as asymmetry harness.

Edited by Marianne Little
added more info about DeLuxe feet
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, missyrideout said:

It is mainly Maitreya, Legacy, Freya and Slink Hourglass you can find clothes for now. In that order.  Although its a tossup on Freya vs Legacy for availability. Hit up any current shopping event to confirm.

9 hours ago, missyrideout said:

Seraphim body survey results reflect the current mesh body situation pretty accurately, imho

On 6/18/2020 at 7:49 AM, Marianne Little said:

Belleza is also only inworld. 3 different bodies. Slink, 2 different bodies, is in the Marketplace and inworld.

It also depends, how hard do you want to work? It is many more bodies, and for the other bodies, you have to search for clothes and hope you find some.

For the sake of fairness, it is a body called Legacy and Legacy perky. It has a history..... Read the thread about TMP Legacy here: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/435825-tmp-legacy-mesh-body/

But Legacy is gaining popularity. Look close at the demo, and decide if it is worth the price. Here is a recent survey about what meshbody most people use: https://www.xxsaltandpepperxx.com/mesh-body-survey/

Edit: Another survey, and this one is from June this year, totally fresh: https://www.seraphimsl.com/2020/06/13/mesh-body-survey-female-body-results/

That is why I wrote the parts under that you do not quote, about Legacy, and also the link to the Seraphim survey. I was not sure if I should recommend Legacy to a newbie because of the price, and the very high render complexity that can lag out people.

But for the sake of fairness, I included Legacy plus a link to the massive thread where it is discussed. So they are free to make their opinion, but they should know what they get before they buy.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

You only get the bundle if you have purchased minimum 4 sets of feet. I, as many others, had the three most used ones. It made me disappointed, but it is their business, not my way to say how they do it.

You only get the feet with a HUD to switch between feet if you have the DeLuxe feet with 5 options, Kitten and Pointe added to the rest. They are expensive, and no refund or reduced price, if you already bought some of the feet as separate.

For these reasons, and another reason I keep to myself, I am not buying from Slink anymore.

The bundle comes with the 5 feet. So you get a "bonus" if you have 4 feet. If you have 3 feet, you get them updated, but not a bundle and no more types.

https://slinkstyle.com/slink-redux-and-bakes-on-mesh-faq/

Can I upgrade my hands, feet and body purchases to a bundle

Female:

• Hands
  • Deluxe Feet or at least Four of the single sets of feet
    (Flat, Kitten, Mid, High, Pointe)
  • A Physique body (Original or Hourglass)

You can request an upgrade to a bundle, by sending a message with your avatar name and a list of the Slink body part items you own in-world to Slink Resident (if you do not have all the pieces listed above you may purchase what is missing before contacting her) . You will receive a bundle that contains the same body that you own. There are advantages to the bundles that weren’t included in the separate packs that are worth converting for! An all in one attachment for body, hands and feet as well as asymmetry harness.

Thanks Marianne, this is very helpful.

The OP said she was looking for Maitreya on Marketplace.  Then the 3nd response to the OP in this thread says to TRY ALL BODIES... that is why I was trying to tell her to shop inworld as I thought I saw a bundle in the Slink store - but you are saying one can only get the bundle if one has already purchased feet.  That is very expensive!  

Since the 3nd response to the OP in this thread was to try all bodies, I was trying to help a newbie understand this about Slink and it's many feet.  I don't think Slink is a good choice for a newbie unless they have lots of money to blow and the OP just might if Slink is the one she wants.  

My choice is Maitreya for me.  I've loved it since the day I got it.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Everyone will tell you Demo demo demo, and that is good advice. i didn't do it though. What I did do is spend a whole lot of time talking to people in world who had bodies I liked. Eventually I was finding that the people with the looks I liked best had Maitreya and so I eventually went with that. Whatever you do, get information so you are making an informed decision.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Thanks Marianne, this is very helpful.

The OP said she was looking for Maitreya on Marketplace.  Then the 3nd response to the OP in this thread says to TRY ALL BODIES... that is why I was trying to tell her to shop inworld as I thought I saw a bundle in the Slink store - but you are saying one can only get the bundle if one has already purchased feet.  That is very expensive!  

Since the 3nd response to the OP in this thread was to try all bodies, I was trying to help a newbie understand this about Slink and it's many feet.  I don't think Slink is a good choice for a newbie unless they have lots of money to blow and the OP just might if Slink is the one she wants.  

My choice is Maitreya for me.  I've loved it since the day I got it.  

One who has not bought any Slink parts before, like a newbie, can buy the bundle direct. I think that is the best. Slink does not sell the bundle on the Marketplace, and I do not know its price inworld. I know the DeLuxe feet was released for a lower price the first 2 weeks (1350 L) and since then they increased the price a lot.

But I don't go there to check the price, since I broke up with Slink. Not getting a bundle was a disappointment, since I had 3 feet, 7-8 hands, plus the body on this avatar. I've been shopping there in over 10 years and have their feet and hands on 5 avatars (more than one type hands and feet) and 4 bodies.

Maitreya offer the best loyalty support and update policy. I got the boots I bought in 2010 updated to mesh, can't be better than that.

I have big love for Maitreya, and I agree with @Orwarthat Maitreya is a safe buy as a newbie. And if you will change to another body later, you can look at your previous purchases, and find items made for other bodies with them. Most creators sell shoes that fit all feet (Maitreya, Legacy, Slink and Belleza) in the pack. And often, many rigged sizes are included in the same pack, when you buy clothes. So do not delete the original container (box, shopping bag or whatever it was packed in) in case you need another size later.

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

One who has not bought any Slink parts before, like a newbie, can buy the bundle direct. I think that is the best. Slink does not sell the bundle on the Marketplace, and I do not know its price inworld. I know the DeLuxe feet was released for a lower price the first 2 weeks (1350 L) and since then they increased the price a lot.

But I don't go there to check the price, since I broke up with Slink. Not getting a bundle was a disappointment, since I had 3 feet, 7-8 hands, plus the body on this avatar. I've been shopping there in over 10 years and have their feet and hands on 5 avatars (more than one type hands and feet) and 4 bodies.

Maitreya offer the best loyalty support and update policy. I got the boots I bought in 2010 updated to mesh, can't be better than that.

I have big love for Maitreya, and I agree with @Orwarthat Maitreya is a safe buy as a newbie. And if you will change to another body later, you can look at your previous purchases, and find items made for other bodies with them. Most creators sell shoes that fit all feet (Maitreya, Legacy, Slink and Belleza) in the pack. And often, many rigged sizes are included in the same pack, when you buy clothes. So do not delete the original container (box, shopping bag or whatever it was packed in) in case you need another size later.

Oh, I thought you meant you have to have all the feet to get the bundle.  

You had 7-8 pairs of Slink hands?  Wow, that's a lot of money!  

I don't know how much the bundle inworld is either but don't start buying Slink feet on Marketplace OP lol    The OP said she was shopping in Marketplace for Maitreya, so I was trying to steer her away from buying Slink on Marketplace in case that is the one she wanted.  

I'd say as far as all mesh bodies go to the inworld store.

To the OP:  If you later want BOM, you need to get a Maitreya BOM relay to apply the BOM skins.  

Sometimes, talking about these things and trying to see through a newbie's eyes, getting started with mesh does seem complicated.

But, to the OP just ask a lot of questions.  It gets very easy with just doing it.  

Edited by FairreLilette

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Maitreya has BoM activation on its HUD. There's no need for an additional relay:

bom_maitreya.jpg

It does.  I got a relay and that's what I use.  Is there a newer update?  

So with Maitreya today if you buy it it's being sold in it's full updated form with a BAKES ON MESH area on the HUD?

That's cool.  

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.