During the pandemic, should Linden Lab.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Obviously this is a very small sample but if I am the only person in SL that this is happening to, well that's even weirder than I thought, and I'd like to hear an explanation of how my club, and the ones I visit, are the only ones that are booming, and only since this month.

You're not the only one. The Saturday parties at Chiaroscuro usually have between 6 and 12 people. Last week it was up a bit, I think 14 or 15. Tonight we had 23, including one person who was logging in for the first time in several years. In two and a half years we have NEVER had 23 people for a Saturday party. Not even once.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2020 at 11:07 PM, kali Wylder said:

The idea of using a natural disaster, like the  pandemic, to promote a business, even one we love, like SL, is abhorrent and really not a good idea at all.  I thought we'd already agreed on that in a similar thread recently.

But they did, and God bless them, because thank God, they aren't the technocommunists that many of you are. They are technolibertarians and have a semi-belief in business, at least their own. They did it tastefully and effectively which is more than I can say for some of you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I was actually there. I saw it with my own eyes. I counted them. I've looked at my transaction history.  Every event in my club this month has had attendance double the usual. Every event I have been to at other clubs I visit regularly was the same.  Obviously this is a very small sample but if I am the only person in SL that this is happening to, well that's even weirder than I thought, and I'd like to hear an explanation of how my club, and the ones I visit, are the only ones that are booming, and only since this month.

You may be spending less on SL but my transaction history shows that plenty of other people are doing the opposite.

I love sprouts, by the way.

That's entirely anecdotal whereas it is a fact that I am spending less time and $ on SL and not planning on renewing my premium membership.

Some interesting ideas have been brought up.  Some of them the lab was already working on before the Covid scare and before this post was made.  They've been working on broadening their advertising for months with static and video ads for niche markets as well as some for more mainstream viewing.  Then suddenly many people are stuck at home and it's a chance to see just how flexible that advertising can be.  It is an opportunity to offer  an alternative to people needing another way to communicate.  There is nothing wrong with reaching out and offering the platform as one of many alternatives.  You can view it as altruistic or piggish.  Your choice.

-Cinn

Oh - In this case (and many others) it does not matter that some think these ideas are abhorrent, in bad taste, or offensive.  It doesn't matter how you think it came across. It's okay that you feel that way, but it is not okay to tell others that you think they should not discuss those ideas because someone does not approve of how it was brought up.  No one has to stay and read material that is offensive to them.  No one is minimizing the dangers of illness, dwindling economies, or loss of life.

I was just talking to friend about this in SL. I have been away for several years been in and out like on average the past 4 years three times a year. I have LOADS of real $$$$ invested in products bought in SL and I had a great time while here before then. ANYWAY, NOTHING has changed money wise with SL in Land Purchases, rentals, etc, etc, etc. Even purchasing L$ , WHY? It is not 2010 any more and the Economy is tanking pretty bad right now are those at the top of Linden Labs unaware of what they need to do to keep people here and or bring NEWBIES into this great reality? 

I thought of starting a petition about this same subject, if Linden Labs does not get serious in retaining it's customers and bring prices down in that retention and to bring in new ones then like most GREAT ENTITIES it will eventually be no more, at least not like those of us who have been around for over a decade remember it to be.

LINDEN LABS PLEASE MAKE THING MORE AFFORDABLE BASED ON WHAT IS GOING ON IN RL.....Heck all gaming platforms right now are having 50 -70% discounts for retention and Newbies why are you not doing the same??????

4 minutes ago, Joenas Jewell said:

I was just talking to friend about this in SL. I have been away for several years been in and out like on average the past 4 years three times a year. I have LOADS of real $$$$ invested in products bought in SL and I had a great time while here before then. ANYWAY, NOTHING has changed money wise with SL in Land Purchases, rentals, etc, etc, etc. Even purchasing L$ , WHY? It is not 2010 any more and the Economy is tanking pretty bad right now are those at the top of Linden Labs unaware of what they need to do to keep people here and or bring NEWBIES into this great reality? 

I thought of starting a petition about this same subject, if Linden Labs does not get serious in retaining it's customers and bring prices down in that retention and to bring in new ones then like most GREAT ENTITIES it will eventually be no more, at least not like those of us who have been around for over a decade remember it to be.

LINDEN LABS PLEASE MAKE THING MORE AFFORDABLE BASED ON WHAT IS GOING ON IN RL.....Heck all gaming platforms right now are having 50 -70% discounts for retention and Newbies why are you not doing the same??????

There must be a thousand threads on this topic.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Joenas Jewell said:

who's going to pay for it? it cost lots of money, legacy hardware,  data center rentals, employee's need paid too and all the fee's.   there is to much to drop prices beyond what they have done so now, they are for profit and they need to make sure they are able t o continue and have money in the bank for rough spots like these so they continue, if they can not, what do you think happens to sl?  it will be turned off and that will be that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joenas Jewell said:

. I have been away for several years been in and out like on average the past 4 years three times a year

if you, and the others that stayed away for many years skipped that break and kept comming, there would be a bit more flesh on the bones of LL and perhaps able to afford rebates in bad times. LL been here all the time. You didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

That's entirely anecdotal whereas it is a fact that I am spending less time and $ on SL and not planning on renewing my premium membership.

It's not anecdotal, I was there. I counted the people. Personally.

If you want to see some actual evidence, go to my club and look at the tipjar, with the hovertext above it to see how much has been donated this month. I hardly ever reach my target at all; this month I hit it in week 3 and it's still rising, with one more event still to go.

You are one person spending less time here and not renewing your premium membership. Just one. You have no evidence of any others.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

I don't think you know what the word "anecdotal" actually means. Neither @Pamela Galli nor @Lewis Luminos nor I were referring to things we heard about from someone else. We're talking about what we actually saw. Numbers of people present at events. Transaction histories.

Nobody except Linden Lab has the actual figures of log-ins, and they don't publish them. But you can see for yourself, if you use Firestorm. On the log-in page, it shows the number of users currently logged in. Go look at that, once a day at the same time of day, and write down the numbers over a period of several weeks. Then come back here and tell us what you discovered.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

is a fact that I am spending more time and $ on SL and am planning on renewing my premium membership

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Nobody except Linden Lab has the actual figures of log-ins, and they don't publish them. 

Actually, Tyche Shepherd is still collecting this data, and has been doing so for years. All her results are on the website www.gridsurvey.com. 

I went and grabbed the maximum concurrency data for the past 12 months (up to 27 March 2020 which is the latest date on file) and I made a chart.

1309573991_concurrency200327.jpg.5a98f3021d6cbf514c3531aaa936609a.jpg

The mean concurrency for the previous 12 months is around 47,000.  The past ten days, it's been over 52,000 with a peak of more than 56,000. Not sure what happened last June/July (summer break, I guess) but aside from that glitch it was pretty steady. Until a week ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:
13 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

is a fact that I am spending more time and $ on SL and am planning on renewing my premium membership

Ditto. Additionally, I have added Premium accounts and currently plan on keeping all of them.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.