Questions about subscription land.

VonWulfen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can have up to a 1024 sized plot with no ADDITIONAL MONTHLY PAYMENT (this is  called tier). You WILL have to purchase the mainland that you like. You can also rent land (either private or Linden owned mainland) from other parties.  You need to be Premium (your subscription) in order to buy mainland. You also get 300 lindens a week returned to you each week as stipend. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VonWulfen said:

Hi Chic.

Sorry if Im a little slow to understand.

So on top of the sub if I just want the land I also have pay more?

yes, you have to pay the previous owner a sum before the transfer to you, this in contradiction to a Linden Home, those are directly assigned to you without payment.
Because the owner can ask what he wants, look around a lot for a decent deal.
Also as Chic already said, you only have a 1024 sqm tier level included in your premium. If you go over that you'll have to level up the tier, and pay a monthly fee for the extra.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes, you have to pay the previous owner a sum before the transfer to you, this in contradiction to a Linden Home, those are directly assigned to you without payment.
Because the owner can ask what he wants, look around a lot for a decent deal.
Also as Chic already said, you only have a 1024 sqm tier level included in your premium. If you go over that you'll have to level up the tier, and pay a monthly fee for the extra.

Sorry, im still really confused.

I only want the land that comes with the premium sub. I dont want to purchase extra land.

Is this possible?

The premium subscription comes with a 1024 sqm free tier allotment.  That can be used in one of 2 ways:

• a Linden home parcel - which always comes with a house which cannot be removed from the parcel, or
  • for mainland tier
    • you need to pay a one-time purchase cost for a 1024 sqm mainland parcel
      • purchase price varies, depending on what the person selling thinks they can get for the parcel depending on terrain, location, neighbors, etc
    • parcel generally is vacant, though some may come with a house or other landscaping still on them which you can return if you don't want them
    • you will not pay any additional monthly tier as long as you do not own larger than a 1024 sqm parcel

There is a good class about buying and selling mainland at Caledon Oxbridge University in-world on Saturdays at noon SLT.  It is a free class, and one I suggest people attend before buying land for the first time.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

The premium subscription comes with a 1024 sqm free tier allotment.  That can be used in one of 2 ways:

• a Linden home parcel - which always comes with a house which cannot be removed from the parcel, or
  • for mainland tier
      • purchase price varies, depending on what the person selling thinks they can get for the parcel depending on terrain, location, neighbors, etc
    • parcel generally is vacant, though some may come with a house or other landscaping still on them which you can return if you don't want them
    • you will not pay any additional monthly tier as long as you do not own larger than a 1024 sqm parcel

There is a good class about buying and selling mainland at Caledon Oxbridge University in-world on Saturdays at noon SLT.  It is a free class, and one I suggest people attend before buying land for the first time.

Ah, ok I think I get it now.

Is there a rough price for 1024 sqm mainland parcel?

Also, If I get the Lindon home parcel can I still practice building things?

1 minute ago, VonWulfen said:

You can check prices by using the Land Sales tab in Search, but there are so many parcels up for sale I have no idea what the prices are.  Much depends on the terrain, the neighbours, etc.  If you take out a premium sub then you can use the prims available to build on a platform (can someone remember the minimum height?). Also with a sub you get access to Premium Sandbox regions for building.  You get access to sandboxes anyway, but Premium ones tend to be quieter.  Your prims will be returned after a few hours.

14 minutes ago, VonWulfen said:

I paid way too much for mine, about $45,000 Lindens.  I don't think I will ever find anyone to buy it from me at that price, but on the upside, it's in Bay City and has a double prim allowance. This double prim thing is really nice but you can't change the land which is a drawback, I would like to make some hills and I can't.

You can look at the map and see what the plots for sale are asking for. They are conveniently marked in yellow

Edited by kali Wylder
after thoughts

12 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

• for mainland tier

Once upon a time, you could get a 512 for 512Ls. It was called First Land.

It's a shame the land barons of the time abused the system to the point LL shut the program down and is a reason some people don't like alts.

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/First_Land

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VonWulfen said:

There are a lot of variables for land prices.  For a rocky uneven parcel out in the middle of a continent perhaps you could find one for sale for .5L or 1L per sqm, though many people probably just abandon parcels rather than selling them for such a little amount.  On the other extreme, parcels in Bay City which have double the standard amount of prims (and a unique location/ambiance) are outrageously expensive.  

I believe that you can put a sky platform over a new Linden Home parcel at 2000 meters or higher.  Garnet's suggestion about premium sandboxes is a good suggestion for builders as well - you don't have the LI restrictions or spatial restrictions that you would have with a 1024 sqm parcel. 

If you open up the map in the viewer and look at the mainland areas (large land masses in the middle of the map) and tick the box to show parcels for sale, you can hover over the $ symbol displayed for the parcel for sale,  and you should be able to see the price and size info.  You can also teleport to the parcel and see the info in the About Land info.

• Like 2

My advice FWIW - never, ever waste your money buying land from anyone other than directly from Linden Lab. Go out exploring various areas on the mainland and you will find a ton of land that says "Abandoned".

Find a piece you like, open a ticket with the SLURL and ask to buy it. L$1 per square meter so a 1,024 plot would only cost you L$1,024. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

My advice FWIW - never, ever waste your money buying land from anyone other than directly from Linden Lab. Go out exploring various areas on the mainland and you will find a ton of land that says "Abandoned".

Find a piece you like, open a ticket with the SLURL and ask to buy it. L$1 per square meter so a 1,024 plot would only cost you L$1,024. 

Buying abandoned land is what I have usually done, myself. 

For someone new to purchasing land in general the following Knowledge Base articles are worth taking a look over:

The one about Abandoned Land has a section that describes how to put in a support ticket for purchasing abandoned land.  Just be aware that not all requests for buying abandoned land are approved - in some situations/circumstances, they put the parcel up for auction instead - but it's usually worth a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owning a 1024 lot of mainland is a great way to have almost full control over what you can do with your land. The price of mainland plots varies alot. So do the neighborhoods. Look in Search for parcels to see what's available & what lots are selling for. Your initial purchase price doesn't have to be very high if you take time to find a good deal. Then you'll never have to pay for SL rent again - unless you want to purchase more land.  

Features that make a parcel desirable are access to water or a Linden road, a nice view, neighbors that have good-looking builds, and no breedables or other lag inducing businesses near you.

If you might want a few more meters of land, create a group for $L 100 that includes your main account and a free alt. (Give your alt full control over your items as a safety feature in case your main account can't come inworld for some reason.) Then you can buy land for this group instead of as an individual and be able to have 10% more land without paying more tier for it.  Once you're settled in an area that you like, keep your eyes open for abandoned land in the same region. You will likely be able to buy it directly from Linden Lab at a rate of $L 1/ meter by filing a support ticket to ask to buy it. Be sure to say in the support ticket that you already own land in the same region. Even if this additional land in not right next to your original parcel, owning more land in the same region means you can rez more prims/ use a higher land impact worth of objects.

If your don't want more than a 1024 m parcel, it's very important to use a low land-impact house, furnishings & other objects. You can get much more detail & flexibility with carefully chosen items. Also consider rezzers that allow you to change your virtual environment with a touch of a button.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Edit for typo correction

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Owning a 1024 lot of mainland is a great way to have almost full control over what you can do with your land. The price of mainland plots varies alot. So do the neighborhoods. Look in Search for parcels to see what's available & what lots are selling for. Your initial purchase price doesn't have to be very high if you take time to find a good deal. Then you'll never have to pay for SL rent again - unless you want to purchase more land.  

Features that make a parcel desirable are access to water or a Linden road, a nice view, neighbors that have good-looking builds, and no breedables or other lag inducing businesses near you.

If you might want a few more meters of land, create a group for $L 100 that includes your main account and a free alt. (Give your alt full control over your items as a safety feature in case your main account can't come inworld for some reason.) Then you can buy land for this group instead of as an individual and be able to have 10% more land without paying more tier for it.  Once you're settled in an area that you like, keep your eyes open for abandoned land in the same region. You will likely be able to buy it directly from Linden Lab at a rate of $L 1/ meter by filing a support ticket to ask to buy it. Be sure to say in the support ticket that you already own land in the same region. Even if this additional land in not right next to your original parcel, owning more land in the same region means you can rez more prims/ use a higher land impact worth of objects.

If your don't ant more than a 1024 m parcel, it's very important to use a low land-impact house, furnishings & other objects. You can get much more detail & flexibility with carefully chosen items. Also consider rezzers that allow you to change your virtual environment with a touch of a button.

24 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

Buying abandoned land is what I have usually done, myself. 

For someone new to purchasing land in general the following Knowledge Base articles are worth taking a look over:

The one about Abandoned Land has a section that describes how to put in a support ticket for purchasing abandoned land.  Just be aware that not all requests for buying abandoned land are approved - in some situations/circumstances, they put the parcel up for auction instead - but it's usually worth a try.

34 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

39 minutes ago, TVTuner said:

40 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

There are a lot of variables for land prices.  For a rocky uneven parcel out in the middle of a continent perhaps you could find one for sale for .5L or 1L per sqm, though many people probably just abandon parcels rather than selling them for such a little amount.  On the other extreme, parcels in Bay City which have double the standard amount of prims (and a unique location/ambiance) are outrageously expensive.  

I believe that you can put a sky platform over a new Linden Home parcel at 2000 meters or higher.  Garnet's suggestion about premium sandboxes is a good suggestion for builders as well - you don't have the LI restrictions or spatial restrictions that you would have with a 1024 sqm parcel. 

If you open up the map in the viewer and look at the mainland areas (large land masses in the middle of the map) and tick the box to show parcels for sale, you can hover over the $ symbol displayed for the parcel for sale,  and you should be able to see the price and size info.  You can also teleport to the parcel and see the info in the About Land info.

46 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Once upon a time, you could get a 512 for 512Ls. It was called First Land.

It's a shame the land barons of the time abused the system to the point LL shut the program down and is a reason some people don't like alts.

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/First_Land

48 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I paid way too much for mine, about $45,000 Lindens.  I don't think I will ever find anyone to buy it from me at that price, but on the upside, it's in Bay City and has a double prim allowance. This double prim thing is really nice but you can't change the land which is a drawback, I would like to make some hills and I can't.

You can look at the map and see what the plots for sale are asking for. They are conveniently marked in yellow

53 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

You can check prices by using the Land Sales tab in Search, but there are so many parcels up for sale I have no idea what the prices are.  Much depends on the terrain, the neighbours, etc.  If you take out a premium sub then you can use the prims available to build on a platform (can someone remember the minimum height?). Also with a sub you get access to Premium Sandbox regions for building.  You get access to sandboxes anyway, but Premium ones tend to be quieter.  Your prims will be returned after a few hours.

So many thanks all. I will do the research you advise before deciding on what to buy.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

This can depend. But is good advice for the new user.

In time you may find that location matters enough to pay more. But for your first plot go cheap.

It is possible to find people selling land for les than $1L/sqm... but there is often a reason for it... and that reason can be trouble (the good reason, for the buyer, is they just want to get out of having that much land...)

When you open your map there is a checkbox to see land for sale... that turns all land that is for sale yellow on the map, and should show it's price when you click on the price tag that is also added to the map (sometimes this glitches if something has changed more recently than the last map update). Through that you will soon realize a LOT of land is silly overpriced for not much gain... and a few rare spots are surprisingly under priced.

You can also kind of guess trouble spots by the shape and amount of land for sale in area... as in... are folks fleeing some spot... or if you buy there do you risk having land barons buy the spots next to you and put up garish signs...

But it is easier to find land with that than with looking for abandons... yet looking for abandons will benefit you in that you learn the layout of places more...

• Like 1

Btw, there is no firm limit on how high you can put a skybox or platform when you own mainland. There is an understanding that it's bad to put one so low that it's easily visible from the ground or could get in the way of people flying a balloon or airplane.  I think 4096 m is the upper limit for where some scripts work and where prims that fly up accidentally end up, so 4000 m is often used as an upper height soft limit.  

Yeah 4096m is the build limit.

I often put my skyboxes around 4080-4090 depending on how tall the ceiling is...

It's basically rude to have anything in the sky below 1000m. Some few items can look nice and fitting there... but usually people who put stuff below 1000m are the ones folks are talking about when they talk about "SL blight"...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VonWulfen said:

Hello all.

I would like to have my own space to practice building and creating.

If I take out a sub can I just have land and not a linden home?

I really like the idea of building my own home :)

Yes. You need to pay for Premium, and instead of claiming the Linden Home you will need to purchase (pay extra for) a 1024m parcel of mainland. If you purchase more than 1024m, you will also have to pay an additional monthly fee, depending on how much more. I think up to 2048m is  $5 (US dollars) per month. Up to 1024m there is no additional monthly fee.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.