What are you listening to?

After discovering Obscurist Vinyl the other day, I ended up down a rabbit hole where I started playing with a new music generation AI named Udio.

Here is one I just made about SL, called Neon Alter Egos.  The prompt was "SecondLife is full of weirdos."  Then I ran a few generations, extended the output I liked, and decided I like this generation best.

Dune, the Broadway Musical is my favorite Udio tune, so far.

Generating audio is slower than generating images, because the image has immediate effect on you.  This is what Baudrillard was talking about when he wrote about the violence of the image.  The image does what it wants to us, immediately, with or without our permission.  It might take a little while to check an image for errors, or nitpick details, but generally, you can pick out a bad image in an instant.  With a song, you have to listen to the whole thing to judge it.  I don't really know if a note is wrong until I hear the note that comes after it.  So evaluating music just takes more time.

Here is a YouTube video that goes into more detail about what Udio is, and what people are doing with it.  Will I Am is involved.  Then it goes into other AI news, but the first story is Udio.

This just came up on YouTube when I was trying to find a rock guitarist in SL from way back.  The performer isn't performing just now as he's moving house (that's in his profile) but I want to hear him play when he gets back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ina Fairport said:

I can't tell whether the one you posted was the solo piano version by Monk:

e4f309862a1af7f498b235f512d08c87.png

Or this one with Coltrane:

4f447417c31b6598d81931aecfe61558.png

Personally, I prefer the piano solo version, but Coltrane is cool in the other one. YMMV.