Airfields on the regions south of victorian?

foneco Zuzu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, foneco Zuzu said:

Truly I would never think that a simple request would make so much fuzz, so sorry for asking it in first place.

About the "retard" comment, that was rude from my part and was typed under some  occurring at this very moment in RL.

A retarded person is entitled as much as a "normal" one and deserves much more my respect for what they achieve in life.

And to end, i wish to make it clear that i defend the right of privacy in Bellisseria as much as on any other region of second life.

I just dont believe that it is achieved by banlines or by setting security devices to unreasonable  warning times.

Linden Lab already provides a privacy setting any can use in any place one owns without tearing apart a spirit of belonging to a true community.

And if one does not wish to belong to a active community it is a correct and affordable wish to have as well; but i guess Bellisseria will not be the best option for that.

Fonecu, I know English isn't your first language so you probably aren't aware but 'retard' is a taboo word, insulting and it is primarily you using that word that has fueled the negativity. 

• Like 2

In front of my house there is a strip of Linden land which is just enough for helicopter landing. Filling up the emergency floaters it's possible to land also on the water. No need for any (possibly unsightly) helipad, just land on the grass or water. After landing just hop off and the chopper poofs away from the Linden land.

Few regions away from my house there is a boat rez zone where I can rez my helicopter on water. Perfect solution for me - to rez the helicopter on the rez zone, do some flying explorations and sightseeing, then return home and land in front of the house. Personally I feel that helicopters in SL are more versatile and fun than any airplane is. 🙂 (I have couple of airplanes too, but they mostly just stay in my inventory.)

2020-01-24_helicopter-landing.thumb.jpg.8fa4504051158aa0be66cce24e3293ed.jpg

• Like 7

It's a different version of the real helicopter, may be more than one creator-team making them, but there's a very nice freebie model of an earlier version of the MD-500 from Spijkers and Wingtips. I know one vendor for it is in the general market building on the East side of Hollywood Airport. There are quite a few free and low-cost textures and accessories. If you want to try helicopters, go for it.

This is a colour scheme I made. It's pretty easy to fly, a little bit different from fixed-wing types, but it doesn't get into the real-life effects that make helicopters so demanding. Flying a real one isn't trivial.

1433575662_GuardiadiFinanzaMD-500HelicopteroverBayCity.png.280a478d683062781e5f21dd8d6749bb.png

Unless you're using a long draw distance, the chances are you'll never see an SL-aircraft passing. A friend asked me to duplicate this look for one of the bigger SL planes. I did, and the mad beggar flies like that in SL. Want a lawnmower for your parcel?

C130-XV205-top-view.thumb.jpg.4f1597da64f493ab22685499dfa81b16.jpg

Snapshot_002.png

• Like 4

If another airstrip is added someday, it would be cool if it had a vintage feel like the old Tsurington airfield did. I used to rent a tie-down spot there, and loved how picturesque it was (as well as being functional, of course). It wasn't designed for huge planes, so you'd just see smaller aircraft like prop planes and helicopters. Sadly, it's no longer around, but it was very cool!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

Unless you're using a long draw distance, the chances are you'll never see an SL-aircraft passing.

Possibly true, which if so would contribute to a negative perception of SL auronauts. 

If the accomplished pilots are out of sight, the visible ones would more likely be joy-riders.  You know, folks doing mouselook (WHEEE) loop-de-loops in their freebie fighter jets 85m up.  They can be fun to watch so long as they stay well over water, somewhere OVER THERE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@foneco Zuzu

I need to apologize and walk back my stance in this one...

I got caught up in the moment some days ago and went on what was clearly a rant over a topic I don't actually have a big 'leg' in.

My fears were the risk of seeing a region get converted from what it might be now, to something more closed off...

And a long standing panic I have over mainland airports that triggered me here, where it didn't belong.

I'm disappointed in myself for having gone after ZZ's topic like that, when on reflection her idea can be a good one, even a great one if done right.

If I look at this again... I think we could add a region to the west of about the 'vertical center' of the victorians, and another to the east.

Where I'm not sure. I was thinkg 2 regions eat of Dunbar maybe, and 1 region WEST of Bathyscaphe?

Then go down south... and add one west again, somewhere vertically between Pyri Peaks and Jeogeot's main U-shaped bay. Maybe 1 region west of Salt Breeze?

- If another east is needed, maybe it could be exactly north of Haneulgil and east of  Edmund Fitzgerald - basically using it to close a gap.

On these, also put a boat dock, and some picnic spots or a Pickle that has a dance ball...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 9

Because I know that the avid Belli aviators are watching this thread, I’d love to ask the question:

What is the best “noob friendly” cruising aircraft for touring the skies above Belli and sight-seeing, while still giving some of the “feel” of aviation?

For example, I have my favorite sailboats for cruising and enjoying scenery (Loonetta and any BWind boat). I have my favorite motor boats for same (Cigar NP40 and that new one at Dutch Harbor). I even now have my favorite ground vehicle (that awesome new fancy golf cart by The Black Forest).

But I’ve no idea where to start looking for nice aircraft for similar purpose. I’m not interested in “realistic” simulation so much as nice, smooth, controllable cruising at slow to medium speeds—but without breaking immersion too much. For example, some of the whimsical flying craft by Culprit or The Black Forest, etc. are a bit too unrealistic. 

I’d even take a small hot air balloon if it had good, smooth controls.

Any advice?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fushichou Mfume said:

What is the best “noob friendly” cruising aircraft for touring the skies above Belli and sight-seeing, while still giving some of the “feel” of aviation?

I would suggest a  helicopter. Helicopters have some advantages over airplanes as they can take off from anywhere where there is a rez-zone. They can also land anywhere, some even on water. And helicopters can fly fast and also very slow, even hover in the air motionless when needed.

There are many very easy to fly helicopters in SL. You might want to have a look for example here:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Honah Lee Trudeau/167/154/22  You demo the helicopters there for a short flgiht.

• Like 2

I am not an expert on airoplanes but the DSA Debonair was recommended to me and on special price 200L$, here. I bought and tried one and I managed to take off and land without too much difficulty, no problems on sim crossings and controls not too complicated.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Santa Catalina/56/39/22

it took me a while to work out but saying "gear floats" puts the floats out so you can land in water.

See link for full instructions and controls.. but don't be put off by the number of controls, it isn't hard to fly.

https://insowork.wixsite.com/dsa-aircraft/general-aircraft-instructions

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, foneco Zuzu said:

There are all kind of vehicles; including Helicopters and Aircrafts for Free, full perms at The Bellisseria travelers club Head Quarters.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ruthsburg/26/5/23

Thanks, ZZ! Ima have to get down there and check out the club HQ. Thank you two so much for being generous with the Belli community!

• Like 2

Does anyone have a favorite balloon model? That isn’t too huge? Something that seats 2-4 people and has sit anims where you’re leaned up against the basket railing looking down (or outward)?

I’m thinking that would be a quiet, tranquil way to cruise over Belli at lower altitudes and sight-see without being annoying to anyone on the ground who might look up and notice?

19 minutes ago, Fushichou Mfume said:

Does anyone have a favorite balloon model? That isn’t too huge? Something that seats 2-4 people and has sit anims where you’re leaned up against the basket railing looking down (or outward)?

I’m thinking that would be a quiet, tranquil way to cruise over Belli at lower altitudes and sight-see without being annoying to anyone on the ground who might look up and notice?

Ironically, the BEST hot air ballon I've found in SL is actually full permissions and 100% free. IM me in world and I'll send you a copy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My personal favorite aircraft is my MD500 helicopter I have.  It was really easy to learn to use it, easy to fly and I love it.  It didn't take me too long to learn on it, with only a handful of crashes and accidently terrorizing my neighbours only once, due to a privacy screen.  (In my defence, it was invisible on my side and it was only my second day learning.)  I highly recommend it for beginners.  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MD500E-VIP-Helicopter/6896467

• Like 2

• Moles
3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Ironically, the BEST hot air ballon I've found in SL is actually full permissions and 100% free. IM me in world and I'll send you a copy.

Vehicle scripts, be it balloons or anything else, are a bit like particles -- that is, there's no great mystery about the script itself but the real art (and it is art and not science) is tweaking the settings until you have the item working just as you want it to.

So if you've got a full-perms hot air balloon script that you like, then the settings in that script should be a very good basis for any model into which you put it. 

15 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

Vehicle scripts, be it balloons or anything else, are a bit like particles -- that is, there's no great mystery about the script itself but the real art (and it is art and not science) is tweaking the settings until you have the item working just as you want it to.

So if you've got a full-perms hot air balloon script that you like, then the settings in that script should be a very good basis for any model into which you put it. 

Oh my! That's an excellent point. It is one that someone donated to SL community as open-source and of all the ballots *balloons (Hurray for auto-corrupt) I've tried, I like this one the best (how it handles) - feels very natural. I'll have to get in world and located it so I can see if it's still on marketplace, because it doesn't come up under "hot air balloons" (I found it by accident). :)

EDIT: (!!!) @Fushichou Mfume - It's this one on MP: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/HVW-LamiIvy-in-the-Sky-Balloon/15237159

Full perms. What I did was to web search some nice patterns and created my own balloon designs, bright and beautiful. I have tried many air balloons, expensive to free, and THIS ONE has the best "flying engine" that feels the most natural for an air balloon and even has working instruments (it's awesome to fly in mouse look). :D It's all meshie and stuff and the reason it doesn't show up in most MP searches is because they call it a "Sky Balloon" rather than "Air Balloon". LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That balloon is great! Exactly the type of gondola/basket poses I was looking for, and it flies great, and the slighty random wind option makes for a simple minigame too. 

I was glad to see that at its max wind speed, you'd move through a parcel fast enough that a 15-second security timer wouldn't trigger. I'm guessing it still might not trigger on the next-to-max speed either. And yet even the max wind speed was nice cruising/sight-seeing pace.

Edited by Fushichou Mfume
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Fushichou Mfume said:

That balloon is great! Exactly the type of gondola/basket poses I was looking for, and it flies great, and the slighty random wind option makes for a simple minigame too. 

I was glad to see that at its max wind speed, you'd move through a parcel fast enough that a 15-second security timer wouldn't trigger. I'm guessing it still might not trigger on the next-to-max speed either. And yet even the max wind speed was nice cruising/sight-seeing pace.

It's totally awesome, right? And I love that the creators still have the old-school mentality: It's about sharing your creativity with the community. :)

• Like 2

I also really like the MD 500 Heli.  And I also really like some of the *free* balloons and lighter-than-air vehicles made by @Saphyre Cyberstar and @foneco Zuzu.  (The "drone" hoverbike is perfect for a quick and quiet 1- or 2-rider aerial excursion from just about anywhere to anywhere in Belli.)

Thanks to everyone for their advice and tips!

• Like 2

My newest addiction is cruising from point A to point B in my MD 500. Flying 100% start-to-fiinish in mouselook view from the cockpit is quite immersive. It’s small enough to rez pretty much anywhere (land or water) and go.

I have to say that the 15-second “grace period” on security systems is the second best feature of Bellisseria-at-large (the first best being the jaw-dropping terrain/landscaping of our fine moles). It’s just amazing to be able to fly in any direction over this huge and beautiful landscape and not get suddenly teleported home because of the mainland-style plague of insta-nuke security systems, and to not suddenly hit an invisible wall and get stuck.

It’s also interesting to note how very FEW people seem to bother with the security system at all. In 3 days flying all over Belli, I’ve seen maybe 10-15 notifications of a 15-second timer. A tiny fraction. By contrast, nearly everywhere you try to go in mainland areas feels like you’re boxed in constantly (and nuked from the air quite frequently).

In general, Belli amazes me for how it invites you to partake of a “slow-travel” mini game. Want to get from point A to point B? Why teleport? Why not take a road vehicle or air vehicle or rail car or boat and enjoy some fine scenery and chatting as you go?

Nearly 15 years in SL and it’s Bellisseria that has single-handedly made me LOVE SL and spend a lot of time here.  

Edited by Fushichou Mfume
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Fushichou Mfume said:

In general, Belli amazes me for how it invites you to partake of a “slow-travel” mini game. Want to get from point A to point B? Why teleport? Why not take a road vehicle or air vehicle or rail car or boat and enjoy some fine scenery and chatting as you go?

Nearly 15 years in SL and it’s Bellisseria that has single-handedly made me LOVE SL and spend a lot of time here.  

That's so lovely to read. I've been wanting a 'joined up' virtual space for a very long time and it seems from the popularity of Belli I am not the only one.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.