Airfields on the regions south of victorian?

foneco Zuzu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

That's so lovely to read. I've been wanting a 'joined up' virtual space for a very long time and it seems from the popularity of Belli I am not the only one.

Yeah, honestly Bellisseria is what I'd hoped SL would have been like 14+ years ago, lol. It's been through quite a few incarnations and... um... "management visions" between then and now.  That's why I would only sporadically check in during all that span of time. But since Belli came out last year, @Kitten Kaos and I have been in SL a lot. Many hours every week.

Edited by Fushichou Mfume
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

I know I'm writing a few weeks after the above discussion - and I'm not used to contributing to forum discussions - but I just discovered it, and I couldn't hold back, since one of two airports I own in SL has been mentioned a few times.

While many of the criticisms of airports generally are justified - particularly on the aesthetics front - some of the contributors to the discussion might be unaware that maintaining an airport in SL, particularly one that is taken seriously by the aviation community, is a complicated business. No-one just sticks a big slab of tarmac somewhere and hopes for the best. Good airports are run and maintained on a daily basis and must carry a variety of facilities. Hangars and check-in desks help pay for the airport, and GTFO and other RP activities draw traffic. A 'good' airport should look pleasing, tasteful and integrated, and is ultimately, like all things I suppose, a balance of form and function. And like all real-estate, location is everything.

The airport in Jinsil pre-existed Bellisseria by some months. The land was purchased - a big 18k sqm chunk of the center of the sim, on the hill top - soon after LL created the long L-shape channel connecting Sansara with Jeogeot. This was a big moment in grid history; the connection of two distant continents. No-one had any idea what would ever be developed in that channel, if anything. But it was clear that if anyone was to fly an aircraft along that channel, then they would need a place to land when they arrived from the north, or to take off from the south. And so I got the idea to build an airport that would be of some considerable value to the aviation community, and would promote the profile of the continental connection. Once the continent of Bellisseria came online, we were pleased that we had created a facility that could service civil aviation for the whole region.

The airport occupies less than half the Jinsil sim, and its current shape is the result of some additional purchases to give it a more regular shape. We work with the residents of Jinsil, a number of whom own properties directly in front of the airport, to ensure a minimum of disruption to anybody. If an airport doesn't care about its social as well as physical environment then it should move somewhere else. I apologize that for some it's just a big slab of concrete. That part is hard to avoid (especially since the land is not flat, so an art-deco airfield is not possible), but the airport as a whole is as interesting as a number of creative people can make it (it has its own hotel). I own the airport, but I didn't build it - though I'm very pleased with what has transpired (and yes! I love the arches too - they were my  idea), and we are constantly tweeking and developing (and as a result of this thread, I fixed the problem with the landing point). Anyway, I am ALWAYS open to suggestions, and I hope that many Bellisseria residents will feel at home there :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Nova Quine said:

Good airports are run and maintained on a daily basis and must carry a variety of facilities.

Thank you for posting :)  I've never flown much in SL, and I'm wondering how Belli residents can easily use the airport.  I assume that anyone can fly in randomly, disembark, and their plane will poof?   I haven't poked around - are there also rez zones for planes that anyone can use?  Or do you need to join a group?

It sounds like people who want to fly regularly rent hangar space?

Is there something like a runway reserved for people who want to RP RL flight, with air traffic control etc?

I'm not thinking of becoming a serious aeronaut, I'm just obsessively curious :)

12 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Thank you for posting :)  I've never flown much in SL, and I'm wondering how Belli residents can easily use the airport.  I assume that anyone can fly in randomly, disembark, and their plane will poof?   I haven't poked around - are there also rez zones for planes that anyone can use?  Or do you need to join a group?

It sounds like people who want to fly regularly rent hangar space?

Is there something like a runway reserved for people who want to RP RL flight, with air traffic control etc?

I'm not thinking of becoming a serious aeronaut, I'm just obsessively curious :)

i just checked because all airports are different, some with group access, some with a rezz zone. Most (in my admittedly limited experience) nowadays seem to allow rezzing and use autoreturn to keep the place tidy. The Jinsil one allows anyone to rezz and uses autoreturn to keep things tidy.

Renting a hangar place will be to help make a contribution to the facility and for some having a rental makes it feel more like home than just somewhere that they can go to rezz.

Not sure what you really mean by the question about an RP, runway. I have limited experience but never come across one where there is any interaction with air traffic control. I suppose a "commercial" RP flight would include one sided references to that as part of their RP, but I don't think any airports would actually script that sort of interaction.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Thanks 1

Flying airplanes is very fun and allows more traveling around the grid to see places your landmark folder doesn't have yet.  I have flown around Belliss Continent and crashed often too.  Every plane is returned  eventually at airport or in the water.  Airports look great when approaching in the plane to land.   I do the Get The Freight Out delivering  things. I applaud those who own mainland to spend their money creating an airport , airfield or just a runway.  It's not for profit but public use and community. . Riff Airport is north of Belllis that owner promotes it's more than just a landing spot.  Check it out. I like Jinsil Airport too.  First Flight Airport is down the seas to land there as well.  I have a small sea plane that lands on the water . I can take off from the water too. I have a 737 executive plane with couch, bed and.shower. 

• Like 4

On 1/24/2020 at 12:22 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

lets start with banning the idiots that keep claiming they need the banlines to go, free access to other peoples air, annoy 90% of the belli users and more freedom for the 3 pilots that want to fly over whole belliseria.
Your group been the loudest at start of Belli, and what you see? ... nearly nobody uses it, for most of the day you could dump a bomb on those airports and nobody would get hurt because it's empty, really need more resources? ...

Wait.. so are they not using them or are they constantly zipping about stealing your unused air? 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a 50L weekend sale Hot Air Balloon called the "Boomerang" that is super cute, flies smoothly, is quiet, isn't janky, doesn't have a huge oversized balloon that's hard to see around, seats 4 AVs with cute poses, and comes as a cute 3 LI rezzer. The balloon itself is only 16  LI when rezzed, so you only need 19 LI total on your parcel to let as many friends as you want (and the public) rez and fly balloons.

It's absolutely the best hot air balloon for sightseeing over Belli that I've found so far. Here's the link:

https://www.seraphimsl.com/2020/03/14/get-your-shop-on-with-wanderlust-weekend/

Baphy2020_069.png

Edited by Fushichou Mfume
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:39 PM, arabellajones said:

C130-XV205-top-view.thumb.jpg.4f1597da64f493ab22685499dfa81b16.jpg

Snapshot_002.png

Where I live in RL, we regularly have Hercs flying at 100ft right over.  Often two in short order.  It rattles the windows a bit, but I love it.  I'd rather boys and gals learned to do it here, than in the war zones.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 5:57 PM, Fushichou Mfume said:

Does anyone have a favorite balloon model? That isn’t too huge? Something that seats 2-4 people and has sit anims where you’re leaned up against the basket railing looking down (or outward)?

I’m thinking that would be a quiet, tranquil way to cruise over Belli at lower altitudes and sight-see without being annoying to anyone on the ground who might look up and notice?

I like the HornlessVikings  (search for store HVW in MP) one.  Has all the best attributes: 1) it works, 2) it's free, 3) it's full perm!

Edited by anna2358
typo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.