What is your strongest/weakest type of intelligence?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well informed people know that  Intelligence Quotient tests such as Stanford Benet relate to only a very narrow set of abilities, and have no doubt experienced this when engaging with “highly intelligent” people —- geniuses even, by their own accounts — who seem clearly out of their depth when called upon to demonstrate competency in tasks requiring other types of less easily mass-measured types of intelligence, 

How about you? 

“IQ tests measure only a few types of intelligence. And this is a serious problem because modern research suggests that there are actually 9types of intelligence:

Naturalistic Intelligence

Musical Intelligence

Logical-Mathematicael Intelligence

Existential Intelligence

Interpersonal Intelligence

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence

Linguistic Intelligence

Intrapersonal Intelligence

Visual-Spatial Intelligence”

https://blog.mindvalley.com/types-of-intelligence/

Me: I am stronger in written language and spatial problem solving, as well as artistic endeavors. Weaknesses: Most everything else, but especially not picking up on non verbal cues in social interactions. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Naturalistic Intelligence  - very good

Musical Intelligence - not so good (sound puzzles in games is a clue there)

Logical-Mathematicael Intelligence - good

Existential Intelligence - excellent (big picture gal here)

Interpersonal Intelligence - average

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence - not so good

Linguistic Intelligence - very good

Intrapersonal Intelligence - very good

Visual-Spatial Intelligence” - very good

My numerical IQ is 135 ish :D

This was quite interesting to think on. 

Edit: Also NOT GOOD with mechanical things but not sure where that fits in. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

Wow we have an over representation of geniuses in this forum.

Here is the bell curve for standardized IQ tests:

• < 67 Extremely Low
  • 70-79 Borderline
  • 80-89 Below Average
  • 90-109 Average
  • 110-119 High Average
  • 120-129 Superior
  • > 130 Genius to Near Genius

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

And this is a serious problem because modern research suggests that there are actually 9types of intelligence:

Only nine types? They're oversimplifying then. Well at least it's better than the old monolithic IQ system. Even MENSA has given up on that one - at the the Norwegian branch has.

Since this is a self assement question the answer is of course that I'm absolutely brilliant in all nine. ;)

But seriously, I think the question is wrong. It shouldn't be "what are you?" but "what can you be?". I'm not only thinking about how we change over time and how fatigue and such can influence our intellectual capacity. I'm also thinking of how our brains can adjust to diferent situations.

When I'm practising, it's mostly about Musical and Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence with a little bit Logical-mathematical and Existential thrown in for good measure. When I'm performing, Bodily-kinesthetic is all but replaced by Interpersonal since the mechanics of playing is supposed to be automatic by then but I need to connect and communicate with the audience. When I'm teaching I need them all but Interpersonal is by far the most important aspect - if I can't keep the communication channels wide open. I won't be able to communcate much. When I'm out in the forest or mountains, I zone out and my mind enters Naturalistic mode and, of course, when I do yoga or other exercises it's all about the connection between mind and body. If I have nothing particular to do, I generally enter Logical-mathematical and Existential mode, amusing myself making grandoise plans or solving math puzzles.

Etc., etc. For me it changes several times a day and I do not believe I'm particularly unusal in this.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 4

Just now, Pamela Galli said:

But are you a stable genius???

When I've taken IQ tests over the years, the results have varied from 140 to 165. I'm not sure if that counts as stable but at least I stay in the same category in the IQ classification table you posted. WHy does intelligence have to be stable anyway? It's not as we're using it to keep horses.

Just now, ChinRey said:

When I've taken IQ tests over the years, the results have varied from 140 to 165. I'm not sure if that counts as stable but at least I stay in the same category in the IQ classification table you posted. WHy does intelligence have to be stable anyway? It's not as we're using it to keep horses.

I am just kidding around, quoting someone who proclaimed himself “a very stable genius”, despite an abundance of evidence to the contrary.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

Wow we have an over representation of geniuses in this forum.

Here is the bell curve for standardized IQ tests:

• < 67 Extremely Low
  • 70-79 Borderline
  • 80-89 Below Average
  • 90-109 Average
  • 110-119 High Average
  • 120-129 Superior
  • > 130 Genius to Near Genius

Well I am not getting into Mensa.  But because of the numbers I was picked (high school) to be in an elite group and they took us on outings during school time. I remember a Harpsichord concert (my friend -- also a rebel -- and I snuck out and we walked around the adjacent art gallery). Another time they took us to a discussion of The Bear (a book) and we left that RIGHT AWAY and walked around campus (Irvine I think).  But we did get into the DNA lab in Berkeley when DNA was a fairly new thing and we got to talk the the folks working in it. THAT was pretty exciting.   

They didn't ask either of us back the next year and that was fine with me.   Most of my RL friends have very high IQs so I don't "feel" all that smart.  LOL.     Look at all the misspellings I have to come back and fix.  Numbers aren't everything :D.    I am VERY good at some things and not so good at others -- as noted. But I was always a good "test taker".   

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 2

It's nice to see a recognition that there isn't one quantifiable facility of intelligence. Honestly, I very much doubt that even 9 different varieties could possibly do justice to the astonishing complexity of the human mind, and account for the relationship between god-given "smarts" in whatever and environment, upbringing, etc.

I've never done an IQ test. I don't know that I've ever even been given the opportunity to do one -- at least, a properly administered one.

I doubt I'd do one even given the chance. What would be the point? Breast exams, or blood pressure tests, or other similar procedures are actionable: I can do something about the results. Indeed, that is their very raison d'être, right?

But what purpose would it possibly serve to know my IQ? Even if I trusted the result (which I wouldn't anyway), it'd just leave me depressed knowing that I'm dumber than I thought. It's not like I can do anything about it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's nice to see a recognition that there isn't one quantifiable facility of intelligence. Honestly, I very much doubt that even 9 different varieties could possibly do justice to the astonishing complexity of the human mind, and account for the relationship between god-given "smarts" in whatever and environment, upbringing, etc.

I've never done an IQ test. I don't know that I've ever even been given the opportunity to do one -- at least, a properly administered one.

I doubt I'd do one even given the chance. What would be the point? Breast exams, or blood pressure tests, or other similar procedures are actionable: I can do something about the results. Indeed, that is their very raison d'être, right?

But what purpose would it possibly serve to know my IQ? Even if I trusted the result (which I wouldn't anyway), it'd just leave me depressed knowing that I'm dumber than I thought. It's not like I can do anything about it.

In the US we were given IQ tests in school.   They used them to place us in "relevant" classes. So there were higher math and English classes for sure. I don't remember any other subjects that were divided. Not sure if they do that any longer. The US educational system is VERY BAD now (until college level).  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But what purpose would it possibly serve to know my IQ?

None, unless you were, say, a kid being tested for a Gifted & Talented program.

In the REal World they don’t ask your IQ, they ask whether you graduated from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, or MIT. 

• Like 2

I've never done an intelligence test. 

My survival skillset relies on instinct. Whether that's inter or intra personal I don't know or care, but my instincts have never let me down so far.

Here's an example. You attend a course with a dozen other people. You look round the room and make a first judgement based on appearance. Then.....its intro time. As soon as anyone speaks, my perception changes. Over a working week, my initial opinions are right pretty much every time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

My survival skillset relies on instinct. Whether that's inter or intra personal I don't know or care, but my instincts have never let me down so far.

I dunno. I think that this is pretty fallible.

After all, you hang out with me sometimes, don't you?

• Haha 1

I was put in a special class for the so-called 'smart kids'. In this special class we didn't get to do anything NEW...we were only required to accomplish double the amount of math problems!  I couldn't even sit and daydream anymore, due to all this boring extra work.  I stopped working hard and the teacher threatened that if I didn't shape up I'd have to go back to the 'slower' class.  At some point I asked when I would get to go back to the 'slow' class...BIG MISTAKE...and of course she did not put me back in the 'slow' class then.   :( 

* Trying to determine which of the intelligence categories listed I did not have much of at that age...

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I dunno. I think that this is pretty fallible.

After all, you hang out with me sometimes, don't you?

My tolerance levels and risk taking is much higher in SL..........although my instinct works well enough in chat.....

:)

• Haha 1

Self-assessment is fraught with perils.  I learned a long time ago never to ask a teacher how the class went.  She's the last person to know.

Still, out of the list of nine, I'd say my strengths are in Logical-Mathematical Intelligence, Linguistic Intelligence, and Visual-Spatial Intelligence, but it truly depends on the situation.  I think through things logically and have always been comfortable with mathematics. I am basically a puzzle person.  I have an inexplicably good sense of direction and scale. And I speak (or at least understand or fumble along in) several languages and love playing with words and metaphors.  I have taken IQ tests several times in my life, although not for at least 40 years, so anything that may have once been useful has long since been eclipsed by time. Besides ...

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

In the REal World they don’t ask your IQ, they ask whether you graduated from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, or MIT. 

I agree, and I did.  But that, too, was so long ago that it's hardly relevant at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

You were in the SF area in the hippie days?    Do tell more....  :)

Yep. Easy enough to figure that out from my comment -- at least I was for a couple of years (we moved a lot).

And that really sucks about your"accelerated classes" and WORK.  "I" got to take (there were choices) expository writing rather than English 101 (where they learned about verbs and such).  We actually had a lot of grammar in that  writing class too (grammar that has changed over the decades and was different from the decades before ---- such is our language. 

Most of the time though we were given a topic and then had to write a two page paper (handwritten and NEAT) within our 45 minutes.  It got you thinking fast for sure.  Since I was a messy writer I wrote out the story or article and then copied it all over again to pass the "neatness" demand. My method was to write the beginning and then the end of the story or article and THEN fill in the middle.  I did well :D.     I took advanced math too, but while I liked analytical geometry, I hated calculus and "story problems". 

So for ME the placement was a great thing.  

4 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Well informed people know that  Intelligence Quotient tests such as Stanford Benet relate to only a very narrow set of abilities, and have no doubt experienced this when engaging with “highly intelligent” people —- geniuses even, by their own accounts — who seem clearly out of their depth when called upon to demonstrate competency in tasks requiring other types of less easily mass-measured types of intelligence, 

How about you? 

“IQ tests measure only a few types of intelligence. And this is a serious problem because modern research suggests that there are actually 9types of intelligence:

Naturalistic Intelligence

Musical Intelligence

Logical-Mathematicael Intelligence

Existential Intelligence

Interpersonal Intelligence

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence

Linguistic Intelligence

Intrapersonal Intelligence

Visual-Spatial Intelligence”

https://blog.mindvalley.com/types-of-intelligence/

Me: I am stronger in written language and spatial problem solving, as well as artistic endeavors. Weaknesses: Most everything else, but especially not picking up on non verbal cues in social interactions. 

Since I'm a nihilist, wouldn't my existential intelligence be zero? ;)

I can't carry a tune in a 55 gallon drum, so I'm assuming musical is low.  Logical/mathematical and linguistic are uselessly high.  Visual spatial would be below average (possibly due to my horrible eyesight, possibly due to all the drugs and booze in high school, I dunno).    Interpersonal above average, although I seldom trouble myself to exercise it outside of work or relationships.  Assuming "bodily-kinesthetic" is related to kinesthetic learning, I'd say below average.  The rest I'm not sure what is meant and not motivated to look them up, but it would make for an interesting in-world voice discussion.

As my old man (the wisest truck mechanic I ever knew) once said "every idiot thinks they're above average".

Naturalistic intelligence - Pretty good. Ex R.B.Gardens staff member and carer of wild blue tongue lizards that just happen to live on the property. They don't say much when you talk to them tho 🙄

Musical intelligence - Not intelligent per se' Just inherited musicality, can't read it. Play by ear since a very young age.

Logical-mathematical intelligence - 😑 Not part of any of my work. I just search how to do the stuff I need to double check I got it right.

Existential intelligence - Very good when required - Eg: Life examples for troubled students. Don't care much apart from that.

Interpersonal intelligence - Extremely high although it is very very taxing emotionally. (5 days a week).

Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence - Very good when younger but all sports really annoy me now. In good shape tho.

Linguistic intelligence - Usually speak in double entendres, specifically to make disadvantaged students think about what was said, then burst into laughter. 😉 Works wonders.

Intrapersonal intelligence - High I suppose, but once again, very taxing emotionally.

Visual-spatial intelligence - Totally OCD. Love data, lists, spreadsheets, note-taking/scribing, explaining & clarifying.

IQ? Wouldn't have a clue and simply don't care. 😛  Never been to Uni but they invited me to work at colleges lol.

• Like 1

Oh just getting back to me for a second....

There were six classes in my "high School Year". Each of just over 30 pupils, so approx 186 in year. The top 60 were graded fast stream and took a five year course in four years. Plus Latin. I was ranked about number 30/31. We were further streamed in maths/science and language. I was in the top stream in maths and science but struggled.  I was in the second stream in languages but struggled.  But I did OK. My best grade was English language, because the teacher was a tyrant. I'm good at maths and science. Good at navigation. Rubbish with music, even though my mother taught piano, and my daughter plays without music.

When my daughter took exams for streaming she had a migraine, so was put in the third set for maths. She was disappointed, and had under achieved because of her migraine. So we got the text book. Each night before maths the next day, I took her through the relevant pages and made sure she understood. At the end of that year she was top of that set and moved into the second set. I repeated the home schooling for another year, and at the end of that year she was top in set two. I then told her, based on my experience, that she would be happier as top in  set two than struggling in set one with the geniuses.

She did OK!!

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.