You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Heyo, everyone!

Please bear with me through this wall of text!

I had an idea of sorts that I wanted to present to everyone in the forums to sort of get into the Christmas/winter-holiday spirit. 💛

I personally love this time of year--mostly the modern interpretation of the whole 'gift-giving/eat all the good foods/just be happy' aspect.

But anyway, I thought it would be fun to do something of a 'secret santa' sort of deal! Now, how this will work is:

1. People who wish to participate will have until December 12th to post their wishlist to the thread. Your wishlist only needs to be posted in the thread once! If you post your wishlist then I'm going to assume you intend to fully participate and thus are signing up to not only be a 'gift receiver', but also be randomly assigned to someone else in the thread who has indicated that they want to join in on the fun as their 'secret santa'.

2. After December 12th and by December 16th, I'll randomly assign everyone one 'secret santa' by taking down the names of those participating and putting them in a spreadsheet and just randomly selecting until everyone's been partnered up. Once I know who's been assigned to who, I'll be messaging/IMing/DMing (whatever your word is for it. ;p) the 'secret santa' via forum-mail the name of the person who they are to buy a gift for.

3. Secret Santas are encouraged to purchase their gifts by December 25th (Christmas day).

--------------------------------------------------------

The technicalities:

*1. I am personally encouraging that Secret Santas purchase their gift from the wishlist of the person they've been assigned (which, you will of course find posted in the thread. 💛 ). However, it is not a 'requirement' that any gift be chosen directly from anyone's wishlist. Instead, wishlists may also be simply referenced to get an idea as to the type of things the person you're getting a gift for might enjoy. The gift a Secret Santa gives is purely up to that individual--but I do personally discourage giving 'gag' gifts (in case maybe the receiver doesn't understand the joke!); giving 'cheap' gifts (I'll leave it up to your judgment to decide what you'd assume is 'cheap'); or anything that might be 'unusable' by the receiver (again, it is up to your best judgment to decide what you think might not actually be able to be used by who you're purchasing a gift for).

*2. Please do not get discouraged if your gift is not received by Xmas. With everyone on a busy holiday schedule, it may be possible that your gift is given a little later in the month. Preferably, of course, worse case scenario--you do receive a gift in the month. However, in the off-chance that someone just wants to be a rude Grinch and not actually get someone a present, I want to apologize now for it. I am simply here to offer the idea and to do the sorting, but I am not capable of guaranteeing that those who claim to be interested will do as to be expected of them. I would imagine it to be the worst feeling in the world, especially during this time of year, to know that you came into this with no intention of actually giving when you see that there are those out there who did join this with good intentions.

*3. I'm encouraging that, once your present is received, you maybe post a picture of you with your present in this thread as a sort of shout-out kind of 'thank you' to who gave you the gift! You don't have to mention them by name if you don't want to, just reference them as 'Secret Santa' if you'd like, but I think it would be fun to see what everyone got. 💛

*4. A goal in doing all of this is to have all participants be both a 'Secret Santa' and a 'Gift Receiver', however, if you feel so inclined to purchase for more than just the person you've been assigned too--feel free! All of this is, ultimately, about bringing some sort of joy to someone for the holidays!

*5. My personal time zone is (+2 SLT), so, the 'by December 12th' cutoff will literally be when it is December 13th for me, since I'll be the only person randomly coordinating the names.

*6. Because I wish to be as accommodating as much as is possible of me to this process, feel free to message me either here in the forums or via forum-mail with any questions you may have. I do ask patience in waiting for a response, tho--I'm not a big forum-conversationalist and often don't respond as quickly as some forum goers do.

--------------------------------------------------------

I want to thank those who do decide to participate and I look forward to seeing how everything unfolds!

---- ̗̀Ϻomo ̖́-ღ

((And a special thank you to a few of my friends that were kind enough to help me brave up the nerve to post this idea. 💛))

Edited by momomoonusagi
My words need fixin' sometimes. U:
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would definitely love to take part in this. I just don't have a wish list… I may need to rectify that now! 😳

Thanks to a friend now I know HOW to do it! *hangs head in shame*

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/wishlists/RaeLeeH

Edit: Thanks to @Adam Spark and @Catriefor showing me how to link that correctly (even if I had to look at Catrie's to figure it out. Some nice stuff there btw!). 🤭

Edited by RaeLeeH
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

I would definitely love to take part in this. I just don't have a wish list… I may need to rectify that now! 😳

I keep telling all my friends to make one... basically so I can randomly buy stuff from it. 😛

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catrie said:

I keep telling all my friends to make one... basically so I can randomly buy stuff from it. 😛

I'd seen others mention having one but never occurred to me to make one much less look at others. Now I have been educated... watch out bank balance! *laughs and cringes at the same time*

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

I'd seen others mention having one but never occurred to me to make one much less look at others. Now I have been educated... watch out bank balance! *laughs and cringes at the same time*

lol  some people put their wishlists in their profile.  I have Neph's in mine. 😛 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

Thanks to a friend now I know HOW to do it! *hangs head in shame*

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/wishlist

Your link is incorrect @RaeLeeH, it leads to the wish list of whomever clicks it. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/wishlists/RaeLeeH is yours :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the idea generally but have two concerns. 1)  Cost.  Not everyone has a lot of money to spend so someone receiving a present much more expensive than the one they gave could make them feel uncomfortable.  I'd suggest a price limit.  2)  The option to buy off the list.  This might tempt someone to buy a wholly inappropriate present, which might be funny to some but is probably going to be disappointing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

Your link is incorrect @RaeLeeH, it leads to the wish list of whomever clicks it. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/wishlists/RaeLeeH is yours :)

/me starts building her list and getting a proper link.

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich
to make sense.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Hay, Garkins! I'm so glad to see you showing some interest--i had really hoped you'd come over! ♡ 

I'm on my phone as I type this, so I apologize for any weirdo typos I miss or if my attempt at requoting is weird. XD

However, these concerns of yours are insightful and I did have to consider them myself before deciding to go with the direction I chose.

1)  Cost.  Not everyone has a lot of money to spend so someone receiving a present much more expensive than the one they gave could make them feel uncomfortable. I'd suggest a price limit.

Though it would be unfortunate that someone on a gift receiving end would feel disheartened because they felt as is they did not produce a gift as expensive as the one they received, to me the point isn't so much about cost and more the thought. There are plenty of great gifts to be given at many different prize ranges and I felt trying to hold firm to a certain price would be more discouraging of people joining even at all.

But, I did sort of touch on this with the following line:

10 hours ago, momomoonusagi said:

The gift a Secret Santa gives is purely up to that individual--but I do personally discourage [...] giving 'cheap' gifts (I'll leave it up to your judgment to decide what you'd assume is 'cheap')...

In this, I hoped to have expressed that 'cost' alone shouldn't be a deterrent to join in the fun and rather give wiggle room for all the Secret Santas by letting them determine what is 'cheap'. Because 'cheap' can be not just cost but quality as well.

2)  The option to buy off the list.  This might tempt someone to buy a wholly inappropriate present, which might be funny to some but is probably going to be disappointing.

There is no hard-rule as to where the idea of a gift comes from because wishlists can't be uniformed and everyone uses them differently. For that reason, it was better that 'buying from the wishlist only' was not stated, and instead, it was worded as so in regards to where Secret Santas were encouraged to get their gifts:

11 hours ago, momomoonusagi said:

The technicalities:

*1. I am personally encouraging that Secret Santas purchase their gift from the wishlist of the person they've been assigned (which, you will of course find posted in the thread. 💛 ). However, it is not a 'requirement' that any gift be chosen directly from anyone's wishlist. Instead, wishlists may be simply referenced to get an idea as to the type of things the person you're getting a gift for might enjoy. 

Ultimately I want people to feel as if they have freedom in what they hope to give to someone. It isn't about my personal standards or the personal standards of a majority, it's about volunteering to somehow bring maybe a little bit of holiday cheer to someone who has opted to join in the thread.

I also cannot control, whatsoever, any of the participants. There are no repercussions if participants don't follow even what I've laid out--and trying to be more specific on the 'rules' won't change that.

So, instead I want people to come at this as: treat others as you hope to be treated. Because it's about doing something nice for someone.

• Thanks 3

Hopefully, if this event moves forward it turns out well for everyone.  I just know of my own experiences in the past with work secret Santas and even white elephant gifts at church  that there's always going to be someone who thinks they're just hilarious and either brings a totally inappropriate gift (one year I received a Band-Aid with food coloring on it to make it look like it was used during white elephant)  or winds up claiming they forgot and just never reciprocates.  With the option to not stick to wish list there's going to be hurt feelings & some upset folks.  Totally not trying to be a scrooge, I just know how those things can turn out.  

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Adam Spark

Heyo! I don't think I've seen you around the forums, but I mostly stalk the photo threads anyway. =P but thank you for your kind words and welcome! So glad to have you participating!

4 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

/me starts building her list and getting a proper link.

*stares at excitedly with wide eyes and waits to see da wishlist liiiink.* 83

3 hours ago, ErukaVonD said:

My new wishlist has become flickr mostly. items i would want aren't on mp at all or not yet :p. It's a very lovely idea though. ❤️ 

Always have admired people coming together to do nice thingssss

Daw, well thank you! I'm sorry you can't add the stuff you want to the MP wishlist! However, imma go find your Flickr and stalk you with mine. []: ♡

2 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

...With the option to not stick to wish list there's going to be hurt feelings & some upset folks.  Totally not trying to be a scrooge, I just know how those things can turn out.  

Yeah, I totes agee that some people may prefer gifts from their wishlists--but there's also some fun in the element of total surprise. Just because it wasn't on your wishlist doesn't mean it may be something you don't enjoy.

Tho, I totally agree not everyone will see it that way and some probably view their wishlists as their absolutes: if I get a gift then it needs to come from here--kinda thing.

Those people I actually don't personally encourage volunteering to participate, because they clearly risk not possibly getting the kind of enjoyment i hope people will have out of what I'm proposing.

But ya can't control people. U:

Edited by momomoonusagi
Typos+phone.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eva Knoller said:

I’m in! I’ll need some time to get my wishlist together though. 

Yaaaay! Welcome! I'm so excited to have you join us! ♡

57 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I’m in too! I suggested this about a month ago, but just have too much going on right now to run it. I’m glad someone had a similar idea. 

will put up my wishlist later today!

Daaaw, I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one to come up with something like this! And I'm glad you'll at least be able to participate in some way! ♡ it's good to have you!

@Garnet Psaltery

Totally understandable! Thank you for at least giving it all a looking at! X3 ♡

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, momomoonusagi said:

@Adam Spark

Heyo! I don't think I've seen you around the forums, but I mostly stalk the photo threads anyway. =P but thank you for your kind words and welcome! So glad to have you participating!

I rediscovered the forums a few months ago. Happy to be a part of this!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Catrie said:

lol  some people put their wishlists in their profile.  I have Neph's in mine. 😛 

Wait, what?

Anyway. I'll participate, buuut since there's nothing left that I really 'wish for' on Orwar, I'll submit Neph's wishlist: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/wishlists/Nephtyria

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.