How to reduce lag in second life?

RobotXx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

On my old PC usually i was lagging on sims with many ppl around or with way too many deco items which was normal i think cos it wasnt the best pc and i had it almost 6 years so i was ok with it.

almost a month ago I got my new PC, which is much better than the pc i had before. but it feels like its lagging even more for some reason. when i try to move it has delay and then when i stop moving the animation that im moving keeps going for few more seconds...sims and avatars takes time to rez. and when i open SL even my browser gets slow like it makes my internet lagging or my pc...not sure about it. 

i got my new pc and i thought sl would be awesome but what i see is that its even worst. 

at the start i thought it needed some time to get all the settings and all. but after a month its still the same, i even tried to clear cash or even use an older version of firestorm but still had the same problem.

I tried to make my graphics from ultra to medium or even to low and still the same lag.

i have no idea whats wrong and it makes it so laggy, so if anyone can help would be amazing. 😳

here are the specs from my new pc: 

• Operating System
    •     Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • CPU
    •     Intel Core i9 @ 3.60GHz    40 °C
    •     Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
  • RAM
    •     64.0GB
  • Motherboard
    •     Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B17) (U3E1)    34 °C
  • Graphics
    •     S24D330 (1920x1080@59Hz)
    •     8176MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Storage
    •     465GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB (Unknown (SSD))
    •     596GB StoreJet Transcend USB Device (USB (SATA) )
  • Audio
    •     AMD High Definition Audio Device

3 hours ago, Doggart said:

Indeed i have similar Specs, anything else "flies" , is SL self, there is no technical evolution since 2007,all they care about are that servers stay online,how,nobody cares, from everyday new data on server till owners that make a sim restart every 24hrs(making it more unstable), the all system is a Bug.Is for nobody playing it, stable, and will never be! 8GB grafics, We should fly on it!So is for sure not your connection or PC.

It's true that SL does, and always will, perform more poorly than games with professionally designed content.  It's a different platform, with a different concept (a user-created world) and it's pointless to compare it with, say, Doom or No Man's Sky.

However, a machine like the OP's should be giving much better results, and in fact most people DO get better results, with far less capable equipment.  So it IS the OP's connection or PC.

12 hours ago, RobotXx said:

Yeah my monitors are on my graphic card. and the pc was made by a guy that was working at a store with computers, i asked him what i wanted and he build it. so im sure the drivers are installed properly, he build my old PCs too and never had problem with any of them. so i start thinking that what they told me about the AMD not being dedicated to sl and using my GPU might be correct since i found that many ppl had the same issue with them. Plus that every other game that im playing on Ultra is not lagging at all, even on MMO with 1000 ppl around me i'm not even feeling any lag when the others around me crashing from it.

Your friend likely installed all the latest drivers. Assuming he got the best drivers for SL is a BIG assumption. Search this forum for the model graphics card you have. See if those using it are having to roll back to a specific driver. Run Windows Update a couple of times to see if it updates any drivers.

AMD works well with SL. The negative is AMD does not keep their OpenGL drivers as up to date as NIVIDA does. So, the AMD user may have to use an older driver. Otherwise AMD isn't that bad and lots of SL peeps are very happy with their AMD. Search for how to setup AMD for SL. - From you stats panel your graphics are good. 157FPS is fine... actually awesome. I doubt your problem is graphics card related.

Other games... see next response...

12 hours ago, RobotXx said:

well its not network issue cos every other game i play goes super fast. it must be sl or something wrong with it

Other games are NOT comparable to SL. Other games are designed by professionals and all their content is optimized and likely on the DVD or downloaded in a massive download at install.Those games can run fast. SL uses petabytes of data and content built by amateurs and hobbyists. No way it can all reside on you machine. So, a slow area rez is most likely a network and possibly a cache issue as data is downloading. Make sure you have your cache set to the max size.

The best info you can give us is from HELP->About... paste that here and we can offer more suggestions.

The key-response-timing problem where it takes a second to respond or stop is more likely a region or network issue than it is your computer or settings. From you stats I see Scripts Run % at 35%. I find I can just barely fly or sail (copter or boat) in a region running that few scripts. The Time Dilation and Server FPS shown in your stats are both degraded showing some of the problem is on the server side, but not enough to be a big problem. But, it could be contributing to you problem. So, visit other regions and check Time Dilation, Server FPS, Ping, Lost Packets, Scripts Run %. These ideally would be 1.00, 44, 0, 100% respectively.

1 hour ago, RobotXx said:

well i tried with 2 different versions of amd and still didnt help much, even tried different versions of viewers

That other viewers have similar issues suggests this is a settings or network issue. Possibly a Draw Distance problem. Keeping the DD at 128m is a reasonable starting place. I fly or sail (copter/boat) with DD at 512m. In crowded places I'll use 64 or 128m.

Take a look here:

I suggest you do some searches and see if you can find something more recent. You can look at the settings we use for NVIDIA. I know those work well as I use them. You can use similar settings with AMD. Notice that I have a "Game Profile" for each viewer to assure Windows knows what to do when I start a viewer.

Nobody mentioned the bandwidth settings in the viewer, it may be set too high. From the firestorm website, I gathered that higher value there does NOT improve network performance, the inverse does. Try lowering the bandwidth setting in the viewer preferences, that avoids bottlenecks

I use a laptop for SL and things run pretty well.  For this and my previous laptop I've always set up a RAM DISK for the SL cache, rather than using up SSD life or waiting for my HDD.  It also clears at shutdown, which suits me fine.  I most definately notice the difference.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:47 AM, cheesecurd said:

I hate seeing this concept. This was relevant a decade ago, and barely even then. 
Its 2019, SL can eat as much bandwidth as you can throw at it and only runs better with more. Unless you’re in a Comcast monopoly zone and get 1mbps internet this isn’t a problem anymore. 
My little slider is at 10mbps and SL rarely uses it all but if it does it certainly doesn’t show any problems with network performance, quite the opposite.

OP is describing network lag, has a high framerate and good specs. They’re experiencing network lag and that is all. It does not take a genius to figure this out.

And even if they were experiencing framerate lag, any of you with high end hardware would know this from experience, that regardless of how many bungoliomarks your processor or gpu get this game performs terribly. Throw enough avatars and over modeled furnitures at 1-2 cores of any processor and you can watch it chug.

It does take some kind of genius to manage to twist this issue into CABLES of all things, like its 1999 and everything we’re running is still over analog connections. I mean Jesus Christ read what you type before you press “Submit Reply”.

Ive never understood the bandwidth logic. I  get 102 Mbs from Tuscon, and I am supposed to set my maximum to 1500 Kbs......

You don't even need the (Radeon) Catalyst driver settings... according to the components, it's a desktop machine, not a laptop. The display output choice is literally made by plugging the monitor into the right slot - the ones on the graphic card, not those connected to the mainboard's I/O panel. Happens... 

Is is a pre-configured build or did you assemble it on your own? Have all drivers (GPU, chipset) been installed properly? Is there enough cooling or are any componentns throttling due to overheating?

Monitor your performance with a tool like MSI Afterburner and its on-screen display. Or even something as simple as the Performance tab of the Task Manager which will show you basic stats.

Another culprit could be SL itself, assigning a much more demanding graphic preset. Make sure that your draw distance isn't set to some insanely high nonsense, for example.

23 hours ago, RobotXx said:

almost a month ago I got my new PC, which is much better than the pc i had before. but it feels like its lagging even more for some reason. when i try to move it has delay and then when i stop moving the animation that im moving keeps going for few more seconds...sims and avatars takes time to rez. and when i open SL even my browser gets slow like it makes my internet lagging or my pc...not sure about it. i

This sounds like a network issue. 

On 11/28/2019 at 2:52 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

The most likely culprit is the graphics.  Your PC can run either graphics built in to the CPU, or a dedicated AMD Radeon 5700XT card.  Be sure that your Radeon is the one being used for SL.  There should be a control for that in the Radeon display settings.

Well that helped a lot, as a user of Nvidia for ages i never had this problem before. i checked on the internet and noticed that this is a common problem with AMD. I tried to fix that but all the videos were outdate and nothing was working with the new Radeon Program. but i guess thats the problem because every other game is fine. i have the problem just with SL.

13 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

You don't even need the (Radeon) Catalyst driver settings... according to the components, it's a desktop machine, not a laptop. The display output choice is literally made by plugging the monitor into the right slot - the ones on the graphic card, not those connected to the mainboard's I/O panel. Happens... 

Is is a pre-configured build or did you assemble it on your own? Have all drivers (GPU, chipset) been installed properly? Is there enough cooling or are any componentns throttling due to overheating?

Monitor your performance with a tool like MSI Afterburner and its on-screen display. Or even something as simple as the Performance tab of the Task Manager which will show you basic stats.

Another culprit could be SL itself, assigning a much more demanding graphic preset. Make sure that your draw distance isn't set to some insanely high nonsense, for example.

Yeah my monitors are on my graphic card. and the pc was made by a guy that was working at a store with computers, i asked him what i wanted and he build it. so im sure the drivers are installed properly, he build my old PCs too and never had problem with any of them. so i start thinking that what they told me about the AMD not being dedicated to sl and using my GPU might be correct since i found that many ppl had the same issue with them. Plus that every other game that im playing on Ultra is not lagging at all, even on MMO with 1000 ppl around me i'm not even feeling any lag when the others around me crashing from it.

10 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

It’s just SL, it sucks like that. This game runs like garbage on anything made since 2007.

also why on earth are you running a single 60hz 1080p display with a god damn 9900K and 5700xt?

Yeah sl sucks for sure. 

and im using only one monitor atm cos i have the other one on my old pc next to it lol

3 minutes ago, RobotXx said:

well its not network issue cos every other game i play goes super fast. it must be sl or something wrong with it

network in the sense that the connection to the region server can be a bit wonky

try a bunch of different regions, wait for the assets to download fully then see how you get on

on websites like Game Debate, Second Life users have reported getting FPS of 200+ on Ultra Settings when in the sky

if you are not getting this yourself up in the sky then yes is something to do with your graphic card settings

2 hours ago, RobotXx said:

You described the symptoms consistent with high ping times. The statistics window will give you more information to pinpoint the problems, control-shift-1 brings it up.

8 hours ago, RobotXx said:

so i start thinking that what they told me about the AMD not being dedicated to sl and using my GPU might be correct since i found that many ppl had the same issue with them.

I haven't seen any specific SL errors with numerous drivers on neither my RX 580 nor the 5700, nor any previous AMD card. There's always the possibility that you might have to try several driver versions, from a current beta one, the stable release or downgrading to an older version. The same can happen on any Nvidia card.

8 hours ago, RobotXx said:

Plus that every other game that im playing on Ultra is not lagging at all, even on MMO with 1000 ppl around me i'm not even feeling any lag when the others around me crashing from it.

Completely different situation, as explained in the other posts. 

10 hours ago, Mollymews said:

network in the sense that the connection to the region server can be a bit wonky

try a bunch of different regions, wait for the assets to download fully then see how you get on

on websites like Game Debate, Second Life users have reported getting FPS of 200+ on Ultra Settings when in the sky

if you are not getting this yourself up in the sky then yes is something to do with your graphic card settings

i've tried protected lands and empty skyboxes up to 4000m. even with low graphics still cant move my camera without delay or lag

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I haven't seen any specific SL errors with numerous drivers on neither my RX 580 nor the 5700, nor any previous AMD card. There's always the possibility that you might have to try several driver versions, from a current beta one, the stable release or downgrading to an older version. The same can happen on any Nvidia card.

Completely different situation, as explained in the other posts. 

well i tried with 2 different versions of amd and still didnt help much, even tried different versions of viewers

Edited by RobotXx

5 hours ago, RobotXx said:

at 157 FPS then that's pretty good for SL, so like Nalates mentions I also don't think it is your graphics card

your ping time of 192 while a little bit high is about the same as mine. And we just kinda get used to this because world distance from us to the server.  You don't appear to have any packet loss either. So I think we can rule out a isp/internet network problem

if it is neither graphics nor internet then we have to start looking at the other components in our computer

the first thing is to check the cables. If you can then try different cables.  I can't remember how many times people have done all sorts of things to fix their computer and it turned out to be a cable. Like my graphics were playing up. Tried all the driver stuff and still the same.  Then somebody suggested to me to try the cables.  Got a new $20.00 branded HDMI cable. Still the same.  Got a $4.80 generic HDMI cable and woosh! off it went. Took the $20 branded cable back to the shop for a refund. Not fit for purpose

if is not the cable(s) then try another keyboard.  Specially if you are using a wireless keyboard

after this then look at your network card next.  When I got my computer custom-built they put in a cheap as 10/100 network card. Problems with packet loss not traceable to isp/internet. Updated the driver and no problems after that. SL can send us a lot of data sometimes which can be a bit floody

and so on

Indeed i have similar Specs, anything else "flies" , is SL self, there is no technical evolution since 2007,all they care about are that servers stay online,how,nobody cares, from everyday new data on server till owners that make a sim restart every 24hrs(making it more unstable), the all system is a Bug.Is for nobody playing it, stable, and will never be! 8GB grafics, We should fly on it!So is for sure not your connection or PC.

26 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's true that SL does, and always will, perform more poorly than games with professionally designed content.  It's a different platform, with a different concept (a user-created world) and it's pointless to compare it with, say, Doom or No Man's Sky.

However, a machine like the OP's should be giving much better results, and in fact most people DO get better results, with far less capable equipment.  So it IS the OP's connection or PC.

Yes, thank You for explain it better, SL can`t work better then this due to the architecture used.

Also , even i have self AMD grafic and AMD is not the best choice to play games on PC,  i still have not such negative results.

However, >150fps ist defo too much, and something is wrong!!!

I think would be important to know the connection speed from user, before we advice him to buy new cables and such.

34 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

hate seeing this concept. This was relevant a decade ago, and barely even then. 
Its 2019, SL can eat as much bandwidth as you can throw at it and only runs better with more

Not really. If you understood how the thing works, you'd not say that. @Whirly Fizzlecan explain this better and in much more detail, but here is a summary.

SL computes things not using multithreads, so all the data you throw at the viewer goes into a queue, waiting for the previous process to end before it starts a new element in that queue. A higher bandwidth means that both amount of data and the speed of it being added to the queue creates a bottleneck for which some processes hang waiting for something else to complete, in a never ending loop since the bandwidth setting keep throwing loads of things overtime. It doesn't matter how many processors cores there are at disposal, only one at a time does the job. No matter how powerful your gfx card is, it waits for data from the CPU and you'll rarely see the gpu go up in usage. 

Your argumentation about being 2019 holds up just about the connections being better, but the whole SL architecture is from 2000s. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.