Why not a Lottery?

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A lottery will work - first come first served - and if you "miss" the allotted time you are given to claim your home, NEXT!! You would then need to resubmit your name and your back at the end of the line.  This is far better than looking at a refreshed screen for maybe hours and/or help those who are "working a real job" during the hours they are giving away homes, right?

• Like 1

The process doesn't matter anyway, when you have people who complain endlessly that they don't have a new home, then they get a new home (funny how that happens when the person has sworn that it NEVER will), then they complain because they don't like the location of their new home... it never ends. People like to complain, and they will always find something to complain about, whether or not it really is a problem.

Cancer is a problem. Poverty where you can't even afford electricity or a computer or Internet to play SL... that is a problem. Not having a pixel house is not a problem, but people will give themselves ulcers over how unfair life is because they do not have one.

And sure, go ahead and dismiss the opinions of the folks who do have a pixel houses. It doesn't make what they say any less true.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Maybe the word "lottery" is not the right word - the original blog said we are placed in a pool and notified when we are selected to get a home - like I said - first come first served - so you are not being "randomly" selected.  When you enroll you are given a number - each time homes are released we will be aware of what number LL is up to.  That simple - if I am number 306 and they are drawing numbers 280, 281, 282, etc., I will know I need to pay attention because my number is coming up - if I miss it and do not get my home in the allotted time they allow, 24-48 hours for instance, I lose - right? I'm out of luck and have no one to blame.

EDITING THIS BECAUSE ittleMe Jewell MADE A GOOD POINT - So we add "no limit to claim home" - when you are picked, the home is yours, period.  When you finally get online to claim it then it's yours.  But still think about it, you may never come back on to claim the house then LL will have an abundant amount of empty homes?  There has to be some limit to claim your home - what 3 months, 6 months?? Think about it.

PS - I did not know how to reply to ittleMe Jewell post

Edited by Tsah

44 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Cancer is a problem. Poverty where you can't even afford electricity or a computer or Internet to play SL... that is a problem. Not having a pixel house is not a problem, but people will give themselves ulcers over how unfair life is because they do not have one.

My guess is that some people feel they have partially mitigated the big traumas of life by at least having control of a few of the little ones.

I try to remain patient with those upset about not getting a home, and treat each one as the new person they are rather than the pattern of people complaining.  However my patience flew out the window a couple of times early on and I feel a bit ashamed over it.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Trinity1776 said:

Regarding the resources needed to get a lottery in place - coming from the perspective of a web developer, it’s not a huge project, signup located behind the login. There’s got to be a flag in the user database for premium users, so they are the only ones that see the page. Signup form for lottery sends user id to a db table of those participating in lottery. On release day the home info is imported into a dB table. Code picks up how many home entries are in table and how many people are in the entry dB table. A random number generator is run for x unique numbers which corresponds to number of available homes with the numbers falling into the range of number of entered users. Each selected number is matched to user id and notification is sent. Current process for recording Linden home selection is used to add home info to user dB. User is dropped from lottery dB table. I may have missed a step or generalized too much, but that’s basically what it takes.

The process still has to tie into the current 'claim your home' web page.  If you are in the lottery, you have to be prevented from going to the web page and trying to claim a home there -- or if you do get to do that process, it must remove you from the lottery first because you can only have one Home.  A lottery has to ensure that it ties in with the process of keeping track of the tier you are using and like the auction, it must automatically reserve that tier.  Thus it also has to give you a way of removing yourself from the lottery and freeing up your tier.

There are always far more things in the background that need to be dealt with when adding new processes to existing systems.

1 hour ago, Tsah said:

YOU make too much SENSE - Is anyone listening?  Also, can someone please clarify to me HOW OFTEN DO THE BELLISSERIA HOMES/HOUSEBOATS, ETC. ARE OFFERED?  Do I sit everyday at any given time and "refresh my azz off" or "refresh my azz off" on particular days?  Please HELP!

Roughly one new region is released every Mon, Wed and Fri - excluding holidays and if issues come up.  Sometimes, if they progress really well, there might be two regions released in a day.

33 minutes ago, Tsah said:

A lottery will work - first come first served - and if you "miss" the allotted time you are given to claim your home, NEXT!! You would then need to resubmit your name and your back at the end of the line.  This is far better than looking at a refreshed screen for maybe hours and/or help those who are "working a real job" during the hours they are giving away homes, right?

First off, a LOTTERY is not a 'first come, first serve' system -- it is simply a signup list.   A LOTTERY is random.   And a 'first come, first serve' list system isn't any more fair to the people that are not available to be online when the signup system first goes live -- and I guarantee that we will then get lots and lots and lots of people complaining about that.

How long do I get to claim my home?  What if I'm on vacation with limited cell service or (knock on wood) end up in the hospital for a few days?  

If any sort of list or lottery system every got implemented, it would have to just flat out assign the home to a person, totally randomly -- no "claiming" needed. If the person decides they don't want the location -- whenever they manage to get online - then they can abandon it on their own.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Of course there are bigger problems in the world than those in SL.  A huge percentage of people in SL are here precisely to get relief from huge, life-altering problems.  It's not unreasonable that they want their SL to be free of disappointments; THAT'S WHY THEY'RE HERE.  It's a place where people can be empowered and control their lives in ways they cannot in RL.  So it is indeed a big thing when unpleasantness that they can't control comes up in SL.  And it is LL's job, for reasons of retention, to minimize those moments.

So, yes, if people - people who are among the few PAYING CUSTOMERS that LL is seeking to grow in numbers - are troubling to come to this site to complain about something, it is not unreasonable to listen to their issues and attempt to help.  If that process irritates you, maybe take a break?   I've taken breaks from forums for years at a time, which perhaps explains what you may see as my pollyanna attitude.

In any case, I'm interested: of those who have issues with using the land menu, would any of you have interest in getting a non-Belli 1024 prim parcel?

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's become a bit of a game to me, acquiring new homes, and I have not spent much time at it. Yesterday I got a third one, but will be releasing two into the wild soon.

Hint: When you see Patch post on the forum on a Mon/Wed/Fri morning most likely a new release will be happening (only once did he post at those times without a release). So that's the time to turn on auto-refresh!

Hint: Mozilla auto-refresh seems to work better than Chrome.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

So, yes, if people - people who are among the few PAYING CUSTOMERS that LL is seeking to grow in numbers - are troubling to come to this site to complain about something, it is not unreasonable to listen to their issues and attempt to help. 

Thank you!!!

4 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

In any case, I'm interested: of those who have issues with using the land menu, would any of you have interest in getting a non-Belli 1024 prim parcel?

Me personally, no. I am temporarily renting land. I am specifically interested in being part of the new Linden Homes community,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hint: When you see Patch post on the forum on a Mon/Wed/Fri morning most likely a new release will be happening (only once did he post at those times without a release). So that's the time to turn on auto-refresh!

Luna-there is still the problem of people who work normal business hours in Western Hemisphere time zones mostly being shut out of this process.

1 minute ago, Trinity1776 said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Luna-there is still the problem of people who work normal business hours in Western Hemisphere time zones mostly being shut out of this process.

I know -- I was just trying to be helpful for those who could be here.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Of course there are bigger problems in the world than those in SL.  A huge percentage of people in SL are here precisely to get relief from huge, life-altering problems.  It's not unreasonable that they want their SL to be free of disappointments; THAT'S WHY THEY'RE HERE.  It's a place where people can be empowered and control their lives in ways they cannot in RL.  So it is indeed a big thing when unpleasantness that they can't control comes up in SL.  And it is LL's job, for reasons of retention, to minimize those moments.

So, yes, if people - people who are among the few PAYING CUSTOMERS that LL is seeking to grow in numbers - are troubling to come to this site to complain about something, it is not unreasonable to listen to their issues and attempt to help.  If that process irritates you, maybe take a break?   I've taken breaks from forums for years at a time, which perhaps explains what you may see as my pollyanna attitude.

Sure, and when they run into something that causes them unbearable frustration here, why keep hammering away at it? How does that help one deal with RL problems? My point is that it would really be wise for people to keep some sense of perspective and not cause themselves undue stress by something so relatively small in the big scheme of things. (And I make my point without use of ALL CAPS, to boot! ;) )

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Sure, and when they run into something that causes them unbearable frustration here, why keep hammering away at it? How does that help one deal with RL problems? My point is that it would really be wise for people to keep some sense of perspective and not cause themselves undue stress by something so relatively small in the big scheme of things. (And I make my point without use of ALL CAPS, to boot! ;) )

I agree with some of what you've said -- I just don't agree with your analogy of telling people their concerns are not valid due to the greater problems that exist in the world. This has always been a tactic to shut people's concerns down via minimizing their issues.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I agree with some of what you've said -- I just don't agree with your analogy of telling people their concerns are not valid due to the greater problems that exist in the world. This has always been a tactic to shut people's concerns down via minimizing their issues.

I don't think that encouraging a sense of proportion is "shutting down" anyone. I'm saying that people are not doing themselves any favors getting so overwrought over things that are, in reality, probably not worthy of so much emotion. I think the phrase is "making mountains out of mole hills", which is amusing, considering what we are discussing.

• Like 9

As people go nuts, trying to claim their shiny new Linden house, vast rolling parcels of abandoned mainland continue to grow. I've seen residents comment that their reasoning is the "community" created by LL. Why not make an attempt to create community where you already are? Meet your neighbors. Create neighborhood events. Have a "cookout." Everyone hides behind locked doors, complaining that they can't meet new people. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Oh come one -stop advising people not to want a home so desperately when you already have one - that just feels wrong.

And your use of the word "desperately" is exactly what I am talking about when I suggest that perhaps a sense of proportion is needed.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:
23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't think that encouraging a sense of proportion is "shutting down" anyone. I'm saying that people are not doing themselves any favors getting so overwrought over things that are, in reality, probably not worthy of so much emotion. I think the phrase is "making mountains out of mole hills", which is amusing, considering what we are discussing.

I can agree that a sense of proportion is a worthy goal to strive for, but you are equating their disappointment with the likes of cancer & abject poverty. Hyperbolic logic seldom works -- people tend to feel you are being demeaning and minimizing their concerns. It is you, yourself, that is being "overly emotional" by expressing yourself in hyperbolic/extreme terms.  I didn't see anyone feeling that extreme over not getting a new home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I can agree that a sense of proportion is a worthy goal to strive for, but you are equating their disappointment with the likes of cancer & abject poverty. Hyperbolic logic seldom works -- people tend to feel you are being demeaning and minimizing their concerns. It is you, yourself, that is being "overly emotional" by expressing yourself in hyperbolic/extreme terms.  I didn't see anyone feeling that extreme over not getting a new home.

It's a phrase my father has always taught me "That's not a problem. Cancer is a problem". It means what I said it means: keep a sense of proportion about perceived problems. You can read it how you wish, of course. I know that I am not demeaning anyone, and I stand by what I said.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It's a phrase my father has always taught me "That's not a problem. Cancer is a problem". It means what I said it means: keep a sense of proportion about perceived problems. You can read it how you wish, of course. I know that I am not demeaning anyone, and I stand by what I said.

I'm not saying YOU are demeaning someone -- I'm saying people tend to feel demeaned when you minimize their concerns by giving examples of how other people have it so much worse. Especially when you use hyperbolic examples like cancer and abject poverty.

I think your father was emotionally abusive  :(      There's better ways to get people to know a sense of proportion and manage their emotions.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not saying YOU are demeaning someone -- I'm saying people tend to feel demeaned when you minimize their concerns by giving examples of how other people have it so much worse. Especially when you use hyperbolic examples like cancer and abject poverty.

I think your father was abusive  :(      There's better ways to get people to know a sense of proportion and manage their emotions.

My father most certainly was not abusive, and I'm appalled that you would make such a diagnosis based on so little information. 

That is way, way out of line, Luna.

• Like 12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.