Why not a Lottery?

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

My father most certainly was not abusive, and I'm appalled that you would make such a diagnosis based on so little information. 

People who say what he did, yes, I think they are emotionally abusive -- I said "emotionally" abusive, btw.

It's very common that people who have trouble managing their emotions feel compelled to tell others how to manage theirs. In reality, they just want the painful emotion to go away that someone else is expressing, or control them in some way -- they don't want to deal with it. And so they make up odd analogies like:

"eat all your food, because people are starving in China"

"why are we concerned about gay issues when climate change is upon us"

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

One woman, and I'm not going to go back and look, or name names, stated that her health... her physical health... is actually suffering because of this. 

How am I the only one who sees how absolutely bananas that is to allow this whole thing to have that sort of effect on you?

A Linden Home is not more important than your physical or mental health. 

That is true regardless of whether I have one of them or not. 

It sucks that everyone that wants a home doesn't have one yet. It sucks that some people who have one wish they had a different one. I'm really sorry there aren't more. I wish there were. I want new neighbors. I want the seas and lakes and rivers full of boats, and planes flying overhead, and parties, and laughter, and people on horseback and bikes and I want them all over the place. I cannot wait for that to happen. 

Except I can wait because I have to. 

• Like 15

1 minute ago, iBrat said:

You seriously mention someones real father in this? Classy...

Sylvia brought up her father herself with a very questionable quote by him ... 

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

You added emotionally. Regardless either way it is rude and baiting. 

Like everything Slyvia recently says on the Forums regarding Linden Homes ... if one does not stand the echo one should stop shouting - I'm out.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

My guess is that some people feel they have partially mitigated the big traumas of life by at least having control of a few of the little ones.

I try to remain patient with those upset about not getting a home, and treat each one as the new person they are rather than the pattern of people complaining.  However my patience flew out the window a couple of times early on and I feel a bit ashamed over it.

Lovely and empathic and tender words to share; it's nice to read things like this that slow down the race and offer introspection. ❤️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iBrat said:

You seriously mention someones real father in this? Classy...

When a parent says to a child who is experiencing a problem says  "That's not a problem. Cancer is a problem", then yes, I consider that emotionally abusive.

A parent should stick to the problem the child is having, finding solutions, helping them see alternatives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

People who say what he did, yes, I think they are emotionally abusive -- I said "emotionally" abusive, btw.

It's very common that people who have trouble managing their emotions feel compelled to tell others how to manage theirs. In reality, they just want the painful emotion to go away that someone else is expressing, or control them in some way -- they don't want to deal with it. And so they make up odd analogies like:

"eat all your food, because people are starving in China"

"why are we concerned about gay issues when climate change is upon us"

Yeah, you went back and edited. Still out of line.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Sylvia brought up her father herself with a very questionable quote by him ... 

Because it is HER father, not to mention what he told her is what most parents tell their kids when they crying over stuff not that important.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

OMFG. 

That was going a giant leap too far. I mean, OH MY GOD. That's just... OH MY GOD.

@Sylvia Tamalyn, please accept my apologies because... HOLY CRAP. My dad said irreverent and insightful things like that all the time, and he was an amazing man without an abusive thread in his body. I would be spitting nails right now if I were you. That was way, way too far over the line. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

Lovely and empathic and tender words to share; it's nice to read things like this that slow down the race and offer introspection. ❤️

PIty she then turned around and flushed that down the toilet with her following posts.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I see Blush is agreeing with you Sylvia, but I don't see her comments since she's blocked.

I'll try to explain -- you tried to use your father's example as a kind of defense as to why we should treat children the way we do. I am saying it is NOT a good example in the slightest, and that it is emotionally abusive to treat children in this way (or adults even).

Once again, it's demeaning to tell people who are having a problem that others have it worse -- we should respond to their concerns instead and not use hyperbole to compare & minimize their concerns with the likes of cancer and abject poverty.  There's better ways to teach others to have a sense of proportion when upset.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I see Blush is agreeing with you Sylvia, but I don't see her comments since she's blocked.

I'll try to explain -- you tried to use your father's example as a kind of defense as to why we should treat children the way we do. I am saying it is NOT a good example in the slightest, and that it is emotionally abusive to treat children in this way (or adults even).

Once again, it's demeaning to tell people who are having a problem that others have it worse -- we should respond to their concerns instead and not use hyperbole to compare their concerns with the likes of cancer and abject poverty.  There's better ways to teach others to have a sense of proportion when upset.

Repeating the insulting accusation is not making you look any better, Luna.

• Like 3

Can we get back to the subject, which is "how should we deal with these people who are upset about not having a home"?

Is it good to just say "stop complaining because people have cancer and live in abject poverty"?

• Like 1

Again, how should we respond to them?   When is the point crossed when we are justified in saying they are "too emotional" or are not having "the correct perspective" on the matter?    Who judges this? And why?

When do we get to say they are reacting to the issue as if they had cancer?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Can we get back to the subject, which is "how should we deal with these people who are upset about not having a home"?

Is it good to just say "stop complaining because people have cancer and live in abject poverty"?

I'm going to lunch now. And I'm blocking you on the way out. It appears you have nothing of value to say to me, and you are clearly just trying to harass me now. I'm not interested in your bait, sorry.

ETA: You too, Fionalein. xD

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

And what was the point of adding this? Other than to announce to everyone that you've blocked me? 

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hey, please y’all try to get along. Please?

Sorry, Love. I don't see that happening.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm going to lunch now. And I'm blocking you on the way out. It appears you have nothing of value to say to me, and you are clearly just trying to harass me now. I'm not interested in your bait, sorry.

Never tried to bait you, never tried to harass you. My motive has been to let people express their displeasure in not getting a home without you and some others causing them to feel demeaned or minimized.

Edited by Luna Bliss

2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Perspective is very clearly needed in this thread when people are allowing themselves become physically ill due to stress and lack of sleep.

I agree with you there -- there comes a point when someone has gone too far -- becoming physically ill would qualify.  I just don't see a lot of people getting that upset over not getting a Linden home.   A few, yes.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I just don't see a lot of people getting that upset over not getting a Linden home

I can see it happening if someone upgraded to Premium just to get a new home.

Yeah I'd get upset if I had a new 11 dollar a month bill for something I did not receive, not sure how upset. Might depend on the day   :)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.