Why not a Lottery?

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I can see it happening if someone upgraded to Premium just to get a new home.

That is actually the problem. Many peope have in fact upgrayed to premium, even with the new higher cost (and there why the increase, take advantage of that wave), just to get a new Linden Home, and have found themselves unabled to get one, completely failing their whole purpose of paying the premium.

• Like 3

The problem I see with something like a lottery or a sign-up list is that we would need one for each theme of homes.  I do not want a traditional home, nor do I want a house boat.  I think there are also going to be at least 3 other themes coming in the future.

However, if there is only one lottery or one sign-up list, how would I indicate I don't want a traditional home or a houseboat?  I think it would be a waste of time if I wasn't on a list or in a lottery group for a specific theme.   

I may want a camper, but after reading various threads here, I've pretty much decided to just wait for awhile - to see what other themes may be coming out in the future and to wait until a time where everyone is not using auto-refresh and houses are available for longer than a few minutes when they are released.

In the big picture, getting a new LH right this minute is not that important.  I've survived for over 5 years in SL without having one of the new ones :)  I think I can last another six months or even a year.  I'm fairly certain the new homes will still be around, and I'm expecting that there will be even more wonderful themes to choose from at that point in the future. 

I gave up my old LH last April, in preparation for the new homes, but I'm currently using my housing perk on a mainland parcel, so I'm still making use of the premium land perk.

Good luck to those that are playing the refresh game, but it makes no sense to me to put myself into that kind of stressful situation for a virtual home.  I'd rather be spending time inworld relaxing and enjoying my time online.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I agree with you there -- there comes a point when someone has gone too far -- becoming physically ill would qualify.  I just don't see a lot of people getting that upset over not getting a Linden home.   A few, yes.

The problem is the current situation encourages this insane behaviour - you apparently only have a real chance to get a home when you are at least as dedicated as the competition. By asking people to calm down you only sleightly increase the chances of those who won't listen.

Why should the Lab care about the home availability? Regular people will just become disillusioned by the current process. Belarissa was meant to be an incentive for folks to go premium - by now it however has become a discouragement for may to continue or to sign up instead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Why should the Lab care about the home availability? Regular people will just become disillusioned by the current process. Belarissa was meant to be an incentive for folks to go premium - by now it however has become a discouragement for may to continue or to sign up instead.

By changing to more frequent releases, LL showed they DO care.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Wow, so once again folks are CHOOSING to attack each other rather than focusing on the issues being discussed and debated.

I also find it interesting to see a few people that I know are not Premium in here adding their complaints to the process - as if this is somehow impacting their SL.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I also find it interesting to see a few people that I know are not Premium in here adding their complaints to the process - as if this is somehow impacting their SL

interesting indeed. how do you know they don't have premium alts?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Trinity1776 said:

Seriously, after yet another release has passed by with most of us not getting a home....

Some things have become very clear, at least to me:

In order to have any chance of getting a home, users (me included) are resorting to running auto-reload extensions. This can potentially put a load.on the SL web servers. I am surprised that this is even "unofficially" supported. How in any way is this a "good" solution? And even with doing the auto-reload, your chances of actually getting a home are slim. People have been reporting that they have started the process and by the time they get through it, the home is no longer available.

Second, it appears that the releases are timed for what would be "normal" working hours for folks in the US time zones (which also would be much of Canada, Central America and South America). I don't think there are a lot of work environments out there where connecting on the network to the Second Life Website or running Second Life would be tolerated. Many people only have limited access to their own cellphones at work. So, the release strategy as it exists right now favors people who are either 1) not living in the Western Hemisphere or 2) Living in the Western Hemisphere but not working normal daytime business hours.

I want to formally suggest a different release option be considered: a lottery.

1) Premium users sign up for the drawing for the type of. home they want (home, houseboat, camper, etc.)

2) When a new group of homes are released, a computer randomly assigns a user (from the pool of those signed up) to each new home.

3) User is notified and has a set time (48 hours? A week?) to claim their home.

4) if the home is unclaimed it goes in the inventory for the next release lottery. If a home is abandoned it goes into the next release lottery.

5) Users who did not claim their home will receive a notice after the time period for claiming the home, asking them whether or not they want to stay in the pool. If no response is received, they will be dumped from the pool and have to rejoin in order to get into the pool again.

Now, wouldn't that be a lot more orderly? Wouldn't that option remove the disadvantage to working Western Hemisphere members? Wouldn't it diffuse a lot of the frustration that is building (no pun intended) over the release issues?

I totally understand the frustration I was in this same boat as most when it came to getting a home. I was frustrated with the process of how these were released. 

Not happy that they based it around SL time which yes like you stated was not conducive to most of us on EST that work and are unable to paste their face to a computer screen or phone. Many of these current releases like you stated favors people who are either 1) not living in the Western Hemisphere or 2) Living in the Western Hemisphere but not working normal daytime business hours. This makes it unbelievable difficult to acquire a home. 

I had to actually stay one weekend in my house clicking and refreshing to obtain my home which I am figuring was released by another player. I would love to release it myself and give it to someone else that would enjoy it more then me as I am not a big fan of the location/plot but have neither the time or patience right now to go thru the gambling again.

I would not do so much a lottery because there will still be flaws in that plan because people will still feel that others are fortunate that they where randomly picked and able to get a home before them. 

I basically say have random release times in the day that are feasible for all time zones, put into account that some players do work. Also get rid of the acceptance screens once the home/houseboat or soon to be trailers pop up for a individual it should be locked to that person for a set amount of time to accept or decline if they do not accept in say 10 min it goes to the next person.

I know they have released well over 2000 homes/houseboats and are working hard at releasing more but lord how many Premium Players are out there that want a crack at getting one I really don't think it was enough.

I know they don't want to duplicate each area and want each area to have it's own look and feel but how many of these would they have to create to please the mass amounts of Premium account holders. I look at the old linden homes and they where literally on-top of each other space wise here you have the moles landscaping and waiting for approval to release homes. It can be awhile.

Edited by tootsiepop1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, usagihara said:

Makes perfect sense, a lot of people post on the forums as alts so we don’t recognize them, when they want to post contrary things (or things that may meet with a negative response).

19 minutes ago, usagihara said:

Possible, though based on many past posts about Premium benefits, I find it unlikely any of the accounts are Premium.

18 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

... or consider going premium ...

Also possible, but see above response.

• Like 1

Wow, looking at what's happened in this thread, perhaps a few folks may decide that they don't need to be part of the Belli community!  I apologize if anything I've said has contributed to the train wreck.  Hope we all can get past this.

I got one answer to my question about whether creating other, non-Belli 1024 Linden homes might help ease the pressure.  Any other folks want to weigh in on that?  Perhaps it is just too similar to just picking up a 1024 on mainland; I was thinking it might help newer SL residents, who may not want to deal with the inworld mainland selection and purchase process.  I suppose few of those folks would find this forum.

• Haha 1

• Administrators

Hey folks!

I see things veered off the tracks for a bit here, so I wanted to drop in and remind everyone to please remain on topic when engaging on the forums. Please take any personal grievances to private channels or drop them entirely, as the forums are not the appropriate place to air that sort of thing out.

However many of you have hopped back on topic so huzzah!

Carry on!

giphy.gif4

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Nika Talaj said:

I got one answer to my question about whether creating other, non-Belli 1024 Linden homes might help ease the pressure.  Any other folks want to weigh in on that?

the impression i get is that lindens aren't going to devote any resources to temporary measures when they can focus on building the homes people actually want instead. they're not going to do anything to update the old homes, they're not going to start giving away mainland, they're not going to start copy-pasting new regions unless they start losing significant numbers of premium subs as a result of people not being able to access all the perks (and even then, probably not... fewer premiums means fewer homes to build.)

apart from some easily ignored kvetching in the forums, the limited supply of new homes is great for LL. it builds up buzz around the new continent and drives signups from people who know they need multiple alts on premium to have a reasonable chance of getting a home this year. why would they want to reduce the pressure? because it would be fairer and allow everyone to enjoy the same privileges, ok, maybe. but we've already seen that fairness is not a major concern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, usagihara said:

the impression i get is that lindens aren't going to devote any resources to temporary measures when they can focus on building the homes people actually want instead.

That only works if they can pull it off in a reasonable timeframe ...

Edited by Fionalein

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not saying YOU are demeaning someone -- I'm saying people tend to feel demeaned when you minimize their concerns by giving examples of how other people have it so much worse. Especially when you use hyperbolic examples like cancer and abject poverty.

I think your father was emotionally abusive  :(      There's better ways to get people to know a sense of proportion and manage their emotions.

That's a rather rude and weird thing to say about her father. :( Especially since you do not know her AT ALL. Besides, when in the history of mankind was it ever deemed 'emotionally abusive' to try and ask ppl to keep a little perspective, and realize not having a pixel home (yet) does not equate to having a *real* problem, like cancer?! Geez.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

People who say what he did, yes, I think they are emotionally abusive -- I said "emotionally" abusive, btw.

It's very common that people who have trouble managing their emotions feel compelled to tell others how to manage theirs. In reality, they just want the painful emotion to go away that someone else is expressing, or control them in some way -- they don't want to deal with it.

Please, give the pop psychology a rest. No, really. You know NOTHING about Sylvia, let alone her father. However you want to spin this, you had no business bringing him into this. Period.

And now I'm going to give this a rest too, as this thread is starting to damage my calm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I agree with some of what you've said -- I just don't agree with your analogy of telling people their concerns are not valid due to the greater problems that exist in the world. This has always been a tactic to shut people's concerns down via minimizing their issues.

No, it's about keeping perspective. To wit:

duty_calls.png.b58810e7d207b98c73611b05e1c22090.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I'm not saying YOU 

I think your father was emotionally abusive  :(      There's better ways to get people to know a sense of proportion and manage their emotions.

Wow what an absolutely terrible assumption to make of someone's father.

This should get an award for the most mean spirited comment of the day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.