Why not a Lottery?

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seriously, after yet another release has passed by with most of us not getting a home....

Some things have become very clear, at least to me:

In order to have any chance of getting a home, users (me included) are resorting to running auto-reload extensions. This can potentially put a load.on the SL web servers. I am surprised that this is even "unofficially" supported. How in any way is this a "good" solution? And even with doing the auto-reload, your chances of actually getting a home are slim. People have been reporting that they have started the process and by the time they get through it, the home is no longer available.

Second, it appears that the releases are timed for what would be "normal" working hours for folks in the US time zones (which also would be much of Canada, Central America and South America). I don't think there are a lot of work environments out there where connecting on the network to the Second Life Website or running Second Life would be tolerated. Many people only have limited access to their own cellphones at work. So, the release strategy as it exists right now favors people who are either 1) not living in the Western Hemisphere or 2) Living in the Western Hemisphere but not working normal daytime business hours.

I want to formally suggest a different release option be considered: a lottery.

1) Premium users sign up for the drawing for the type of. home they want (home, houseboat, camper, etc.)

2) When a new group of homes are released, a computer randomly assigns a user (from the pool of those signed up) to each new home.

3) User is notified and has a set time (48 hours? A week?) to claim their home.

4) if the home is unclaimed it goes in the inventory for the next release lottery. If a home is abandoned it goes into the next release lottery.

5) Users who did not claim their home will receive a notice after the time period for claiming the home, asking them whether or not they want to stay in the pool. If no response is received, they will be dumped from the pool and have to rejoin in order to get into the pool again.

Now, wouldn't that be a lot more orderly? Wouldn't that option remove the disadvantage to working Western Hemisphere members? Wouldn't it diffuse a lot of the frustration that is building (no pun intended) over the release issues?

Edited by Trinity1776
typo and clarification
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'd love this Idea for the reasons you stated. Seems very thought out and a fair way to do it. 

3 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

In order to have any chance of getting a home, users (me included) are resorting to running auto-reload extensions. This can potentially put a load.on the SL web servers. I am surprised that this is even "unofficially" supported. How in any way is this a "good" solution? And even with doing the auto-reload, your chances of actually getting a home are slim. People have been reporting that they have started the process and by the time they get through it, the home is no longer available.

Second, it appears that the releases are timed for what would be "normal" working hours for folks in the US time zones (which also would be much of Canada, Central America and South America). I don't think there are a lot of work environments out there were connecting to the Second Life Website or running Second Life would be tolerated. Many people only have limited access to their own cellphones at work. So, the release strategy as it exists right now favors people who are either 1) not living in the Western Hemisphere or 2) Living in the Western Hemisphere but not working normal daytime business hours.

Doesn't work for me at all (and I have my house) because NOW at least the folks that are getting houses (and congrats to those who have recently) are WORKING HARD at getting said house. I think it is more fair that the folks that are putting forth the effort get the prizes. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

Why not a Lottery?

Seriously, after yet another release has passed by with most of us not getting a home....

Every region currently being released is 15-20 houses, if a full region without a huge amount of space being reserved for Community areas.

Thus even with a lottery, after each release it will still be that "most people" wanting a home will not get one.  Lottery, a list, randomly refreshing the current web page -- in all cases, MOST PEOPLE that want a home will not get one until there are a couple more themes released in large number.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Doesn't work for me at all (and I have my house) because NOW at least the folks that are getting houses (and congrats to those who have recently) are WORKING HARD at getting said house. I think it is more fair that the folks that are putting forth the effort get the prizes. 

I'm glad you got a home , however releasing 15 to 20 houses 3 times a week just isnt cutting it, and like the OP stated most people work during the few second window that they are released 3 times a week. Honestly i wouldnt care if my chances were small that i might get a home, right now me and many others have a Zero chance of getting one because we aren't able to be online during those literal few seconds they are released.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tori Heart said:

I'm glad you got a home , however releasing 15 to 20 houses 3 times a week just isnt cutting it, and like the OP stated most people work during the few second window that they are released 3 times a week. Honestly i wouldnt care if my chances were small that i might get a home, right now me and many others have a Zero chance of getting one because we aren't able to be online during those literal few seconds they are released.

You can always try  after they are released  as lots of people get a home because someone has decided to abandon it.  This does happen.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Tori Heart said:

I'm glad you got a home , however releasing 15 to 20 houses 3 times a week just isnt cutting it

Unfortunately, everyone complained about waiting for larger releases, so the method was changed to smaller releases, more often. People are still complaining, so apparently it doesn't matter what method is used, there will be complaints. That being the case, why should LL waste time and resources continuing to change it up, when people will be unhappy no matter what they do? I don't see them making a drastic change at this point. They are just going to devote the time to building houses, which is the BEST way to get people into homes.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

29 minutes ago, karynmaria said:

You can always try  after they are released  as lots of people get a home because someone has decided to abandon it.  This does happen.

That's right. I got my home from those being abandoned.  I haven't had luck with the region releases, too many trying at one time. Its slower and easier to grab an abandoned home. My husband has grabbed 2 nice house locations in the last 3 days and abandoned them, since he's wanting a houseboat. I think he needs to put 'houseboat' in the text word search so only those come up.

btw, he was not steadily monitoring the page, he had it refreshing, heard the chime and quickly went to the page. Its just a matter of timing and luck.

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Tori Heart said:

I'm glad you got a home , however releasing 15 to 20 houses 3 times a week just isnt cutting it

A lottery sure isn't going to change that any.  It will still be 15-20 homes 3 times a week.

30 minutes ago, Tori Heart said:

right now me and many others have a Zero chance of getting one because we aren't able to be online during those literal few seconds they are released.

Honestly, based on my impression of Patch, I imagine he is brainstorming with his team to try to figure out the best way to get past this issue.

• Like 7

setting aside for the moment the pro and cons of a lottery vs the refresh game

how would a lottery work in the most efficient way ?  A way this could be done:

1) There is a cost to buy a lottery ticket. The cost of the ticket is 1024m tiers available at all times while the ticket is open. Should there not be 1024m tiers available then we can't enter the lottery
2) We can nominate, using a checklist, any or all of the types of homes available
3) When we win then there is no claim period. We won, we got the home. Because 1) the tiers are covered
4) We get a email from LL to say where our home is
5) When we win then our name is automatically removed from the lottery and we are done
6) If we abandon then we can buy another ticket in the lottery - goto 1)
7) When new homes are built or when they are abandoned then they go on the lottery prize list immediately

back to lottery vs refresh. Some people would prefer to refresh to get a home, others would prefer not too

the only way this can be reconciled is for there to be two pools. Half the available homes at any given moment go in the lottery pool, and half go in the refresh pool

we could then play the lottery and also play the refresh game. When get a home by refreshing then we are removed from the lottery

• Like 1

One other thing - any method other than current refresh of the web page is going to require development work from the web page team as well as every team/process that the web page interacts with.  That may not be a very easy process.  One thing I can guarantee is that code written more than a decade ago was written in a way that did not even imagine any other way of claiming your Linden Home.  That means that changing it is probably a nasty process.  

At the Meet the Lindens talk, Oz commented about how bringing back last names along with the ability to change your name ended up being far, far, far more complicated than anyone every envisioned -- primarily because the developers back then just never imagined anyone would want to do that and so they coded things assuming such would never happen. 

I have no doubt that there are pieces of the "claim you Linden Home" that were coded with assumptions that will make changing the process very complicated and difficult.

They might be able to get those changes completed and fully tested by the time the 4th theme is released.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One other thing - any method other than current refresh of the web page is going to require development work from the web page team as well as every team/process that the web page interacts with.  That may not be a very easy process

yes there would be some new development work. Determining the cost of this is a sizing issue

what is the least number of new Linden Homes that need to be built ? Not less than the number of people currently in old Linden Homes. Some N

what is the rate of construction of new homes ?   Some R.  Currently R = approx. 60 a week

In terms of customer relations can we (LL/LDPW) afford to only offer the refresh game, given N / R

Any change to process does not change the number of houses... all it does is reorder who gets the next one that's all... and probably would slow down the creation of houses... the more houses that roll out the more people will abandon too... just keep trying. But clamoring for a different process is not going to get anyone closer to their house. We also already have dozens of threads like this already.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

But clamoring for a different process is not going to get anyone closer to their house

the clamor isn't about anyone getting closer to their house.  The clamor from those who want a list/lottery is about what we have to do to get a house. i.e. everybody has to play the refresh game at the moment

the question is: Is there way to have both the refresh game and a lottery ?  And if so then how might that be done

5 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

the clamor isn't about anyone getting closer to their house.  The clamor from those who want a list/lottery is about what we have to do to get a house. i.e. everybody has to play the refresh game at the moment

the question is: Is there way to have both the refresh game and a lottery ?  And if so then how might that be done

And the answer that Patch already gave is no...

and in all fairness... refresh is already a lottery and everyone is free to take as many chances at that lottery as they can... some do it smarter than others by using an Auto refresh tool that allows you to comfortably go about your Second Life while it runs in the background... Asking the Lindens to go back and code something together just to change the process of how people get homes and not actually increase the rate at which those homes are made.... sorry its just a waste of personnel resources on the Linden side of things... If anything I would hope the Lindens are looking to hire more Moles in the coming weeks and months and increase the building labor pool... Now THAT would be an idea I would get behind

The BEST thing people can do now is continue on their Second Lives... Houses will eventually be made... refresh anytime you want but there is still a lot going on in Second Life while people wait for a house...

And for those of you who want to participate in the Bellisseria Community we really are not an exclusive club... anyone can come over and join in the activities anytime you want... there are 2 very large groups you can join and a wide assortment of smaller groups covering various interests most of those activities don't happen at our own homes anyways. Many of us spent weeks roaming around Bellisseria getting to know people, participating in social activities long before we even had homes... It made our homes feel that much more special when we did luck our way into one because we were already part of something by then.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

And for those of you who want to participate in the Bellisseria Community we really are not an exclusive club... anyone can come over and join in the activities anytime you want...

this is not what this is about. Good on you and good on all those who are into the Bellissaria community groups

What it is about, is people want a new Linden Home. And would it be possible to get one other than only being able to play the refresh game

8 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

this is not what this is about. Good on you and good on all those who are into the Bellissaria community groups

What it is about, is people want a new Linden Home. And would it be possible to get one other than only being able to play the refresh game

And your lottery method still creates NO NEW HOMES

What it does create is more unnecessary coding and work for the Lindens in a way that does not increase the rate in which people get homes... 

and with that i am done because both you and me are now just repeating our exact same points...

Edited by Evangeline Ling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

And your lottery method still creates NO NEW HOMES

What it does create is more unnecessary coding and work for the Lindens in a way that does not increase the rate in which people get homes... 

and with that i am done because both you and me are now just repeating our exact same points...

i am not done

we agree that no method of allocating new homes creates new homes. To only way to increase the number of available homes sooner, is to make homes quicker and faster

the cost of providing an alternate method, list/lottery in addition to the refresh game, is as I mentioned to Lil a cost sizing issue/exercise.  It may be that when this exercise is done then it may be cheaper to hire some more Moles to complete the project sooner.  Spend the money on a customer relations exercise for a slower build-out ? Or spend the same money on more moles for a faster build-out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.