Sooo Not sure if neighbor or someone else

KittyKatt2565

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, KittyKatt2565 said:

Ok so after some thinking I released my Boat. I do not want to live next to this guy. I am going to be refreshing until I find a home. Or if more become available then fantastic. Whom ever gets my old place I wish you luck and just remember to restrict sounds. ^^

Do you know how to use Auto Refresh Plus?

If not I'm more then happy to coach you through how to utilize it for your BEST possible chance of hitting a new place in Bellisseria.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KittyKatt2565 said:

Ok so after some thinking I released my Boat. I do not want to live next to this guy. I am going to be refreshing until I find a home. Or if more become available then fantastic. Whom ever gets my old place I wish you luck and just remember to restrict sounds. ^^

I'm really saddened to hear this. :(  My dad always said, "Never let ppl push into a place you don't want to be at, or out of a place you DO want to be in." Yes, I read you kinda wanted a Traditional Home anyway, but it's still monumentally said to see a bully get away with it again. All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again. But it isn't right, and never will be.

• Like 9

I'm going to swim upriver here and ask us all to remember that SL is supposed to be fun.  I usually like to take care of these things myself, rather than bothering LL about it.  Were it my property,  I would put a largish present on their land (invisible root prim under my water) with red hovertext reading: "Sorry I missed your initial request re:sound.  It's done now.  Can we stop griefing the neighborhood?  Peace".  Have it explode & die, after scattering temp-rez (or particle) somethings ... perhaps turkeys ... if touched by whoever put up the sign. 

KittyKatt, welcome to SL, if you're new.  Scripting can be fun!

:)

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm so sorry you came back to something like that. It couldn't of felt good. Your neighbor's actions says a lot about what kind of person they are. 

I'm deaf and there have been times when objects make noise that I can't hear. I've learned just to be sure my noise is restricted to my parcel just to make sure. I only learned about this in the last few years though. Not everyone knows about restricting noise to their parcel. Accidents happen.

I can't even imagine how it would of made me feel to login to what you did. Most likely break down into tears if I'm honest. What your neighbor did was cruel and I don't care how long your music was going. No one deserves to be treated that way. I like to think your neighbor's ilk is few and far between in Bellisseria. That kind of person isn't worth the attention or time. 😊

Edited by LyricalBookworm
  • Like 3

Restricting sound to parcel will block outside sounds as well. I really dont think your sound would have been the radio. They would have to pass into your parcel to hear that. I've never heard anyone else's streams from my parcel for as long as I've been in SL. 

Sounds that tick me off are fires crackling to loud, Crickets and these god awful siren alarm sounds I found on Corsica when I was living there. One of the siren sound emitters was embedded in a object on protected land and the other was inside a very old submarine. These sirens were so loud I was 5 regions away and they could still be heard. 

• Like 2

On FS you can search for whatever sound you dont like and blacklist it. It's not area search I dont think,  I cant remember how I did it. This comes in handy if your neighbour has a nice pond build or outdoor setting and you dont want to derender the whole object. You simply blacklist the offending sound it self. 

We have discovered that many people do not know how to restrict voice and sound to their parcels.  When we moved into a houseboat we met our neighbors because we could hear them talking.  We let them know their conversation was not private and how to restrict these things.  Many new and even seasoned SL residents have no clue it seems to me that LL should have a NC that is provided in the new home folders explaining these steps.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kalia Anatine said:

We have discovered that many people do not know how to restrict voice and sound to their parcels.  When we moved into a houseboat we met our neighbors because we could hear them talking.  We let them know their conversation was not private and how to restrict these things.  Many new and even seasoned SL residents have no clue it seems to me that LL should have a NC that is provided in the new home folders explaining these steps.

This is a good point (I've been in SL for years and am still finding out new things...) Maybe it should be set on by default?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kalia Anatine said:

Very true and wonderful idea about the notecard I think. I'm still learning so much even after 10 and a half years of being here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kalia Anatine said:

True. Having lived so long on my private island, I've been pretty much oblivious to many of those per-parcel settings, and their effect on 'others'.

24 minutes ago, CandyBARB said:

I could never understand why restrict sounds to your own parcel is not the default.  In my old linden home I would have to black list tvs everytime someone new moved in.  

Why, on a sim like Bellisseria, you really *want* to hear boats coming by, sea sounds, etc. I think it would get awkwardly quiet if all sound was restricted to parcel-only (with no way to enable it). I rather see ppl be made aware of the issues, and be asked to use sound responsibly. A notecard, as has been suggested, would indeed go a long way towards this goal.

18 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I think it would get awkwardly quiet if all sound was restricted to parcel-only (with no way to enable it)...

I don't think it's been suggested that it's permanently set to restrict sound, I think that would be a bad idea.  What's suggested is that restrict sound could be set on by default, but you could still turn it off, i.e. the reverse of the the current situation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I don't think it's been suggested that it's permanently set to restrict sound, I think that would be a bad idea.  What's suggested is that restrict sound could be set on by default, but you could still turn it off, i.e. the reverse of the the current situation.

Yes. That's why I said "with no way to enable it." :) Thing is, if they turn on per-parcel audio only, as default setting, then all those ppl who now don't know how to disable outward audio, will then not know how to enable it. Aka, they will have an awkward Bellisseria experience. Not against the idea per se; just saying they should be careful with things like that.

10 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Yes. That's why I said "with no way to enable it." :) Thing is, if they turn on per-parcel audio only, as default setting, then all those ppl who now don't know how to disable outward audio, will then not know how to enable it. Aka, they will have an awkward Bellisseria experience. Not against the idea per se; just saying they should be careful with things like that.

Yeah, that's the general problem, there will always be those who don't know about the option whichever way it's set . I don't think there's a simple solution. Even if a notecard is given they may well not read it, or read it once then forget about it etc. etc.

4 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Why, on a sim like Bellisseria, you really *want* to hear boats coming by, sea sounds, etc. I think it would get awkwardly quiet if all sound was restricted to parcel-only (with no way to enable it). I rather see ppl be made aware of the issues, and be asked to use sound responsibly. A notecard, as has been suggested, would indeed go a long way towards this goal.

Is that so much of a problem, though?   The setting doesn't affect sounds coming into the parcel, only sounds leaving them.   So Governor Linden, who owns all the protected land, leaves parcel sounds on, and you can hear sounds coming in boats coming by, sea sounds and so on.

Meanwhile,  the Moles or one of the land Lindens or whoever sets all the resident parcels to prevent sounds being heard outside the parcel on which they were generated, so people aren't disturbed by their neighbours' radios (or crackly fires and so on).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Is that so much of a problem, though?   The setting doesn't affect sounds coming into the parcel, only sounds leaving them. 

Not true. It is a two way barrier. If sounds can't leave the parcel they can't enter the parcel either. So if you want to be able to hear the mole made sounds in the governor's protected land you have to leave the parcel open. Personally I don't think it's a good idea to make the default having the sound limited to parcel. It seems to me that default setting should be the least restrictive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/22/2019 at 10:06 AM, Marianne Little said:

So I am curious, because I don't stream music or listen to music or voice. Is it possible to cam in, click on a radio or tv and derender it, and then? Derender kill sound? Your neighbor has 3 friends over and they shout and scream. You mute them all, and don't hear them anymore?

The only thing you can't do something with is streaming on the parcel via something... I don't know it in detail, but it is set under land. That isn't possible to silence?

It doesn't matter about the music or media streams, these are always restricted to parcel anyway. This issue applies only to sound-generating objects and (I think?) Voice.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:04 PM, kiramanell said:

I don't think it should apply to public spaces just private plots.  And it would be default not a permanent setting. A notecard is nice but will only work if people read them. I would be happy to not hear things going past my house if it meant not having to put up with an ad for funeral insurance booming through my living room and the associated explaining to guests how to mute next door's tv. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.