Oh them feels *PICS*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wow - AOL was still a thing then?  I thought it had even died by the early 2000's

image.png.fcd31eea3af2a0c5dce433accfe70581.png

Lmao, it didn't die until 2017, December to be exact. AOL announced its (AIM) full demise in October of 2017 ;) I, like many, was quite surprised it lasted 20+ years to begin with. 

Edited by Tari Landar

I know everything does look, objectively, a million times better now, but I really, really miss the days when it all looked like that. That was my SL golden age and it's never going to be like that again, no matter how well textured the mesh clothes are. I miss it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Yep. Every month.

Not every month. SL back then cost $9.95 and that was it - no monthly fee, unless you wanted a premium membership. Us old accounts (my account is from 2004), still have the old perks of $L50 per week - it's nice to just watch it grow, then purchase something nice once it reaches a large amount of money. Ha - certainly not a get quick rich scheme! 😎

Edited by Benjamin Opel
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Benjamin Opel said:

Not every month. SL back then cost $9.95 and that was it - no monthly fee, unless you wanted a premium membership. Us old accounts (my account is from 2004), still have the old perks of $L50 per week - it's nice to just watch it grow, then purchase something nice once it reaches a large amount of money. Ha - certainly not a get quick rich scheme! 😎

I remember my alt costed me 9.95 back then also..Then they made it where they were free afterwards..

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I know everything does look, objectively, a million times better now, but I really, really miss the days when it all looked like that. That was my SL golden age and it's never going to be like that again, no matter how well textured the mesh clothes are. I miss it.

I totally agree with you - those are the days I miss too.

I don't think SL is that friendly as all those years back, you could just turn up to a random sim and people would take an interest in you, and by the time you know it, you'd be having a full on a conversation that sometimes lasted for hours - nowadays, I just see people griefing each other over voice. Such a shame..

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Benjamin Opel said:

That was the "free" account back then. You paid once. They also had the monthly which would be today's premium. Prior to that, it was monthly only. There was no free except the one week trial. My first two accounts were created in 2004. The time period I'm talking about is prior to that 2003/early 2004 (before April). I waited until they made the switch to basics and premiums from the old monthly sub/free because I objected to having to pay for a so called free account. If you have to pay for it, it isn't free. I understood Philip's reasoning behind it, I just didn't agree with it. Neither did a lot of other people.

Keep one thing in mind, I had been in Active Worlds for a few years before SL was even in alpha. I came to SL from AW. My expectations were completely different then, even from other AW refugees, as we called ourselves.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

2 minutes ago, Benjamin Opel said:

I totally agree with you - those are the days I miss too.

I don't think SL is that friendly as all those years back, you could just turn up to a random sim and people would take an interest in you, and by the time you know it, you'd be having a full on a conversation that sometimes lasted for hours - nowadays, I just see people griefing each other over voice. Such a shame..

That is one of the aspects I miss the most, but, in my case, I suspect it comes from the fact that a huge portion of the people I used to converse with, once met, hung out with, came across, are no longer in sl anymore. A large amount of them have since passed on in rl, and that just hits me right in the feels all the time, even people that for whatever reason I had fallen out of favor with (to put it nicely) or out of contact with over the years...still hits me in the feels.  Was reminiscing on this just yesterday, looking at the threads of old pics here on the forums, and my own stashes here and there. Found a couple of pics of people I knew I once knew, but couldn't place the name...then I found the name and I went..."awww...he/she passed away in...(insert year)", or "I wonder how he/she's doing all these years later". Timid me says..."don't go looking, he/she might still hate you, for whatever reason, justified or not", but curious me says "poke it with a stick". I rarely ever poke though :/ 

Back on topic...while I have found a large number of people still willing to do this, converse with/befriend just about anyone (depending on where, and sometimes WHO, you are), the regularity of such doesn't seem as consistent as it once was. Obviously, griefing was always a thing, was always going to be a thing, and would grow as the community numbers did too. But even in 2008 when  I came back for good, there was still a lot more regularity of this general chit chat, banter, befriending, finding common interests,...not really sure what to call it, lol.  I met a lot more friendly strangers (and few come stranger than me, so please take that as a compliment my fellow strangers) back then, I guess, ESPECIALLY in sandboxes/public areas-which is where I learned to do just about everything. Though in the ones I use now, most folks are pretty cool, they're not well traveled sandboxes, so, it's pretty much always the same people lol. 

My original av is from 2004, but I admittedly never gave sl much of a chance back then, plus, rl was hellish at the time,  so, my time capacity for sl would've dwindled real fast anyway- and that av is long, long gone, plus TSO was more fun for me, and I could play it from a hospital room, sl I couldn't. I came back when life settled a lil bit, in 2006, but still barely gave sl the time of day, and eventually forgot the name and password (and still don't remember it, lol)-compared to 2008 when I came back permanently that is. Even in 2008 when I came back for good on this av, I was still all "how the hell do I...?" noob lmao.  Which just goes to show how much true attention I really gave to the platform. 

1 hour ago, CronoCloud Creeggan said:

I'm not, but that's Aimee Weber on the far right, even us 2006 vintage noobs can recognize her.

I'll be darned. I didn't even look that close. It sure is Aimee.

*waves from the future at Aimee in the past* Hi Aimee!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.