Curiosity and average height

Rhonda Huntress

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Something that comes up from time time in Maitreya chat is how to adjust the feet.  Well, you don't.  No matter what the shape sliders say, every Maitreya foot is exactly the same size so that they can fit Maitreya shoes perfectly every time.  I assume this is the same with other bodies as well.

Then in a few other threads here we discuss shape and proportions.  There are proportions all throughout the face and body. So I thought there must be a foot size to height average ratio somewhere.  I found this site which was helpful if a bit scattered.  The short and easy version is, the average ratio is 1:6.6 or in other words foot length X 6.6 = height.  On myself and my husband (who gladly volunteered) we both are right at 1:6.7 give or take a few hundredths.

So armed with these ratios, a Maitreya body and a plywood cube, I set out to find the typical height for Maitreya foot.

I measured my foot inworld -- flat foot setting of course -- to be 24.5cm long.
This means a Maitreya body should be on average between 162 to 164cm tall.  (5' 4" - 5' 5")

Anyway, just food for thought to satisfy my own curiosity.  The 1:6.6 ratio is by no means a rule as people shapes in RL cn be very different.  I was just wondering what would be a typical height.  I am some what tall than this, tho.

/me shrugs
Oh well ...

• Thanks 4

I feel short inworld most of the time, yet my last measurement showed that I was around 5' 9" - so obviously I'm a bit out of proportion there.

Interesting numbers.  I'll have to measure my feet in RL and compare it to my RL height.

• Like 1

Here's a new contender ... John Wayne was 6'4" (192 cm) and had size 7 feet.  At size 7 his foot would be 23.5cm. So his foot length to height ratio would be 1:8.17.  That puts a height based off of Maitreya's foot length with  John Wayne's proportions to be 200cm or 6' 7".    I would call that top end of normal height. 

Edited by Rhonda Huntress

Seren in SL is 5ft 9 like me in life, I'm UK size 7 in feet and in USA I believe that a 1; feel free to correct me if I got that wrong! :D However I'm happy with how Seren looks; not changing how she looks either; may change skin at some point but mostly content with her look. :) 

2 hours ago, MrsSeren said:

I'm UK size 7 in feet and in USA I believe that a 1; feel free to correct me if I got that wrong!

The chart I googled up says a woman's UK 7 is a size 9 in US and should be 25.2 cm in length.  Your foot to height ration is 1 to 6.96. 
However by my "researched" estimations [click clack beep] 5 foot 5 to 5 foot 6 and a half inches. So you are taller than average.  Like duh!

FWIW, I am also 5'9" IRL with a shoe one size larger than yours.  I always thought I had big feet, too.
My prim height in world is 6'1" so I'm somewhat taller than RL.

I'm still questioning what that site claims as the average ratio but my own ability to gather data is limited to my own tiny part of the world. I bet it varies greatly between race and culture.  If only I could get a grant to fly around the world measuring people's feet I could be satisfied. :)

[ETA]
And another inconsistency to further hamper my scientific research, foot length by shoe size is different depending on what chart I google up.  They are not consistent at all.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress

Just going through my own pics when i was mega tall 7"+ the Maitreya feet looked small compared to my height, since i've shrunk to a slightly more realistic 6'1" 6'2" flat feet sans shoe base i'm still somewhat out of proportion but the feet do look better in keeping with my height. On my TMP free using alt you can change the size of the feet but if you don't set the foot size in appearance to around 42-45 definitely between 40-50 the feet look weird and deformed 

10 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

The chart I googled up says a woman's UK 7 is a size 9 in US and should be 25.2 cm in length.  Your foot to height ration is 1 to 6.96. 
However by my "researched" estimations [click clack beep] 5 foot 5 to 5 foot 6 and a half inches. So you are taller than average.  Like duh!

FWIW, I am also 5'9" IRL with a shoe one size larger than yours.  I always thought I had big feet, too.
My prim height in world is 6'1" so I'm somewhat taller than RL.

I'm still questioning what that site claims as the average ratio but my own ability to gather data is limited to my own tiny part of the world. I bet it varies greatly between race and culture.  If only I could get a grant to fly around the world measuring people's feet I could be satisfied. :)

[ETA]
And another inconsistency to further hamper my scientific research, foot length by shoe size is different depending on what chart I google up.  They are not consistent at all.

Often suspected I was taller than average and thanks for that Rhonda! *hugs*

2 hours ago, Dean Haystack said:

I can tell you the Belleza Jake body you can adjust foot size with the shape slider, and this will translate into the size of any rigged footwear.

I'll take your word for it.

In my experience in trying to dress my boy alt is that nothing fits like I am used to with Rhonda.

Slink, Belleza (don't know about Jake), and Maitreya all have static foot size. TMP as far as I know is the only women's mesh body that has fitmesh feet so the size of the foot changes with the sliders. The biggest difference between Maitreya and the other two brands is that the Mait foot is rigged so the foot is slightly higher making the lower leg a tiny bit shorter. I think that's the case I've not actually compared the knee placement of all the bodies but that's my guess. 

An easy measuring device for foot proportion size is that it should be approximately the same size in length as your forearm from wrist to elbow. I recently made Debi and Blush shorter because I felt like their feet were just too small for their height. They are both 6.13 in flat feet. They used to be 6.30. 

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.