Windlass Houseboat Interior Texture Issues?

Elora Lunasea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

To be fair, I was confused by what you meant. It sounded like you were saying putting up a prim to cover a window from the inside would be forbidden. I actually almost typed a reply asking you why that would be different from closing the blinds. I'm still not sure what you were describing but as I don't have a Windlass, it's not necessary that I know. :)

Why, blinds are, of course, simply a part of the boat itself. Closing those (basically just using the facility LL itself offers us) could never be wrong. That would be like saying using the house controller, to change the wall colors, would be against the Covenant. 😃 To me, it just boils down to what I think would look weird, and what doesn't. Blinds down look naturally, erm, natural. 😜 I could also slap like a white prim against the window, from the inside. But I think that would look weird from the outside. So, that's simply the situation I tried to avoid.

• Like 1

Just now, kiramanell said:

Why, blinds are, of course, simply a part of the boat itself. Closing those (basically just using the facility LL itself offers us) could never be wrong. That would be like saying using the house controller, to change the wall colors, would be against the Covenant. 😃 To me, it just boils down to what I think would look weird, and what doesn't. Blinds down look naturally, erm, natural. 😜 I could also slap like a white prim against the window, from the inside. But I think that would look weird from the outside. So, that's simply the situation I tried to avoid.

Ah, I see. I think my mind just assumed you would use a nice looking prim!

As an aside, I just took a look around at the many Windlasses near my houseboat, and saw that the blinds would cover over half of that glass side if closed... and one person has hung up drapes that cover the glass and look very nice. So it's down to is it OK to use a crappy looking prim, and all I can say there is that I sometimes wish we could outlaw bad taste because I'd go to town in my own houseboat neighborhood. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Ah, I see. I think my mind just assumed you would use a nice looking prim!

As an aside, I just took a look around at the many Windlasses near my houseboat, and saw that the blinds would cover over half of that glass side if closed... and one person has hung up drapes that cover the glass and look very nice. So it's down to is it OK to use a crappy looking prim, and all I can say there is that I sometimes wish we could outlaw bad taste because I'd go to town in my own houseboat neighborhood. 😂

Hehe, I was actually thinking about just that: how I would use a 'nice' prim, LOL, when I just realized I wouldn't be able to a full 'planar' texturing for all the faces on that side of the boat (including my block-prim), as the boats are non-mod, of course. But you can be assured that I would manually fiddle with the texture (they *do* give us the textures) to such a degree, that it would wind up looking seamless from the outside. My OCD dictates no other possible outccome. 🤪

You bring up a good point about taste, too. Some ppl may actually have bad taste, or simply lack the proper building skills to make it look nice. Hence, I'm glad it's not my task to deal with compliance issues for other ppl. I just look at what *I* find acceptable for my own build. And, if anything, I'm meticulous. :) 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

I'm not going to comment any further save to say that I've always considered it prudent, whether as a tenant or estate manager in SL, to consider the spirit as well as the letter of rules and covenants, and how they apply to the specific situation or object under discussion, having regard for all the material circumstances.  

As a retired teacher, may I compliment you on a beautifully written sentence!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I see now how I and @kiramanellhas come this far.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:09 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't play with prims and textures much -- So, the 100% transparent would leave it looking like a window from the outside with a view in, just as before?  That sort of makes sense, but didn't dawn on me.  I was thinking you'd have to keep the blind down or else the view from outside looking in would just be seeing the back of a wall..  

On 6/14/2019 at 6:58 AM, kiramanell said:

P.S. Yes, that's how it normally works: if you have a prim, and set one face 100% transparent, it will be, from that side looking in, as if it wasn't even there. That is how I treated my Windlass bedroom window, btw. From the interior view, one window is walled off, but, from the outside, you can just look in regularly. This I did, btw, to stay compliant with the Covenant, which expressly forbids us to change the exterior look (a wall behind a window might be an edge-case, as it would technically belong to the interior, but I decided to play nice all the same).

On 6/14/2019 at 4:31 PM, Marianne Little said:

Nope. @Quartz Molecan come and chide me, but I wouldn't have the window open so everyone can look into my bedroom, or even worse, my bathroom.

So even if I had a transparent backside wall, I pulled down the blind on just that window, before I placed the wall there. The exterior look is the same. No one forbids us to have closed blinds. On the boats or houses. I see many choose to pull down the blinds and leave them there, because the window is facing something they don't want to look at, like the wall of another boat.

My reply in the third quote was meant to be playful and a reference to bedroom window. I followed the line in the posts from closed blinds, to having the wall transparent in the bedroom window, to replying I wouldn't have a bedroom window everyone could look into. I honestly meant it to be about bedrooms.

I didn't think I was out of line. "Someone" took my post as I meant it to be and liked it. That didn't go well.

What I learnt from it, is that I should just shrug and don't reply. I am going to let you have the last word.

• Moles
18 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Lol, I'm prolly old enough to be his granny! You're too funny!

16 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Er... that makes two of us... lol!

I wonder how old he actually is...

Not saying, but old enough, and English enough, to have learned that no gentleman would speculate about a lady's age in public, so I don't think there's much I can usefully contribute to the topic.👴

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 8

Well as to looking through bedroom or bathroom windows ...

Contrary to RL it is no good pulling down blinds - they will keep you from looking outside (so might be a good idea if outside is something ugly) but anyone even from rather FAR away can cam through your blinds and WALLS, so if you intend to take a bath naked, change your clothes or indulge in some adult activities you should make sure that you marked in your land  "Avatars outside the parcel cannot see Avatars inside the parcel" ... and vice versa. In that case you do not need any blinds.

In the old Linden home regions I found lots of houses with blinds drawn - that just looks ugly!

... and gives the impression the inhabitants have something to hide ... so makes you curious and ... CAM inside! ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

Not saying, but old enough, and English enough, to have learned that no gentleman would speculate about a lady's age in public, so I don't think there's much I can usefully contribute to the topic.👴

You realize this just makes us adore you even more, right?

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Because "Army" wouldn't have been appropriate on the water?  🙃  Now, perhaps ultramarine ......

I saw this a couple of days ago, and suddenly the world makes complete sense to me. I have always hated both navy and maroon. They're like blue and red that are just trying too hard.

IMG_1990.thumb.PNG.65c8a0bfb950bdb6e54af44787858c06.PNG

• Haha 1

• Moles
2 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

Quartz and I keep each other guessing.  There are some things that even Moles don't tell each other.  🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

gives the impression the inhabitants have something to hide ... so makes you curious and ... CAM inside!

The exhibitionist in me wants to go to all of my different houses and pull all the shades right away.   :ph34r:

And the brat in me wants to then ensure the privacy box is ticked for all those houses... and use a security orb that boots everyone IMMEDIATELY.  xD

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The exhibitionist in me wants to go to all of my different houses and pull all the shades right away.   :ph34r:

And the brat in me wants to then ensure the privacy box is ticked for all those houses... and use a security orb that boots everyone IMMEDIATELY.  xD

My first thought was to want to close the blinds, then make sure there was something realllllly good in there for the peepers to see. (And by good, I mean very, very bad.)

• Haha 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.