Windlass Houseboat Interior Texture Issues?

Elora Lunasea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Dunno.   I'm a scripter, not an interior designer.   Isn't navy a good colour for boats?   It has a certain nautical resonance, after all.

dammit.jpg.807b0e422c759575002f7396db2b6b9c.jpg

Oooooh... are you British?? 
crush intensifies

I just have a perfectly irrational hatred of navy for absolutely no good reason.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

For some reason the update seems to have missed some regions the first time round.  I revised the updater yesterday, ran it again, and this time it seems to have covered everywhere.    Any more problems with the walls talking to you, please let me know (it's only the one houseboat, the Windlass 32x32, that's affected, as far as I know).   

As Beth says, the issue with the Windlass interior wall not changing colour is intentional -- I don't understand the minutiae of mesh modeling but it's to do with the way the mesh faces need arranging in that particular boat and  the need to keep the boat's LI down below a certain level.    The matter was apparently discussed at some length during the design process and doing it this way was was a conscious choice that can't be changed without completely redesigning the boat, which we can't do at this point in the process.   Sorry.

Thanks for the explanation Quartz, much appreciated.  Being as I'm no creator by a long shot I don't understand it either but, I trust that there are good reasons behind the inability to change it. At least now LL knows that the community wasn't thrilled with this feature so hopefully the next time they are in design stages for new homes, they will keep that in mind ☺️

Edited by Elora Lunasea
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

Dunno.   I'm a scripter, not an interior designer.   Isn't navy a good colour for boats?   It has a certain nautical resonance, after all.

Navy IS awesome. I love navy. 

Where I want through. Not where someone else wants it 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moles
3 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

dammit.jpg.807b0e422c759575002f7396db2b6b9c.jpg

Oooooh... are you British?? 
crush intensifies

Guilty as charged.   Just please don't ask me about either Brexit or state visits.   (It would be off-topic, for one thing!).

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Haha 4

On 5/23/2019 at 9:52 PM, Innula Zenovka said:

Not that I know anything about the decision-making process at work here but Occam's Razor and common sense tell me that if this unchangeable wall texture  is a deliberate choice by LL it will most likely have been imposed on them by the constraints of the mesh model rather than because someone at LL decided that residents who chose the Windlass houseboat would have a dark blue wall and like it, dammit.

For whatever reason, I think this jira request is, in effect, asking them to make and script a completely new mesh model with a new and different configuration of faces and new textures for them, while retaining the same size and layout as the existing houseboat and at the same (or lower) land impact.   It certainly doesn't sound as if it's something that could readily be fixed.

Yep, that makes sense. If you bake another mesh model, with extra faces, LI will go up. How much LI just 1 extra face would cost is questionable, though; but if the regions were already 100% filled to capacity (counting ppl potentially all using their full prim allowance), then even 1 or 2 LI would push it over the edge.

This is, at least, not something a Mole could fix, I reckon: the mesh creators at LL would have to do the boats on that level.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 2

• Moles
50 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

@Quartz Mole While we're at it, someone mentioned having a 2.1 version of their houseboat. Mine is still at 2.0, I believe. Is there a difference?

Yes, but it will be a minor difference, whatever it is.  If you use the House Controller (life preserver) to remove your old houseboat and rez a new instance, that should give you the latest version if there is one available. 

As a bit of general background,  we keep on coming up with minor tweaks and improvements to our scripts, as and when we notice things or they are brought to our attention.   Most of the time, we quietly fix them and update the rezzers.   Then if and when someone reports a similar problem, we can resolve it by asking them to rez a new instance of the house(boat).    If it's something important we can update scripts (some of them, anyway) in the rezzed houses and boats, and if we absolutely have to, we can delete all the rezzed houseboats and replace them with newer versions but that's not something we do if we can possibly avoid it.

So as a general rule, if you have a problem with something and it appears to be script-related, always try rezzing a new instance of the house/houseboat.    It may well be that you've come across something we've already fixed.   If the problem remains, then report it, please, but always try re-rezzing first.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Yes, but it will be a minor difference, whatever it is.  If you use the House Controller (life preserver) to remove your old houseboat and rez a new instance, that should give you the latest version if there is one available. 

As a bit of general background,  we keep on coming up with minor tweaks and improvements to our scripts, as and when we notice things or they are brought to our attention.   Most of the time, we quietly fix them and update the rezzers.   Then if and when someone reports a similar problem, we can resolve it by asking them to rez a new instance of the house(boat).    If it's something important we can update scripts (some of them, anyway) in the rezzed houses and boats, and if we absolutely have to, we can delete all the rezzed houseboats and replace them with newer versions but that's not something we do if we can possibly avoid it.

So as a general rule, if you have problem with something and it appears to be script-related, always try rezzing a new instance of the house/houseboat.    It may well be that you've come across something we've already fixed.   If the problem remains, then report it, please, but always try re-rezzing first.

Thank you! :) 

• Like 1

I have a solution for the interior Windlass walls.  I made mesh interiors that allow groups of walls to be colored as well as individual walls.  Great for accent color walls.  The entire interior wall set together is 5LI. Check my pics in my in world profile. I'll add a photo here when I'm on my PC. 

I read all that lengthy talk about that ONE blue wall and cannot help thinking...

Why the heck don't they (not the Moles biut the people using this boat) just create one single prim, making it about 1cm thick, phantom, and the exact size and form of that blue wall, placing it in front of the wall and texturing it any way they like??

I do not know this houseboat. Maybe the wall has a very akward shape then you might neet two or three prims to cover it up.

No MESH interiors needed.

6 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Well shouldn't that also be possible to cover up with a few prims?

I must take a look at it sometimes.

The walls have windows, some walls have complex shapes (not just plain rectangles). It would surely take lots of prims to cover all the dark blue walls, and avoid covering the windows in the process. So, mesh seems to be the only good solution in this case.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I agree, you should take a look, then you will understand the challenge better. 

The one, large 'navy blue' wall could be covered up with 4 prims: linked to your build, and all set to 'None', we're looking at 2 LI. So, it could be done, but there's a well-known 'Windlass Houseboat Interior Skin' out there,  which does a much better job of it, and comes with covers for the internal window frames too (which would be another 4 prim, otherwise). So, yeah, no need to reinvent the wheel. The skin comes at a token price of LL $49, and is copy/mod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

The one, large 'navy blue' wall could be covered up with 4 prims: linked to your build, and all set to 'None', we're looking at 2 LI. So, it could be done, but there's a well-known 'Windlass Houseboat Interior Skin' out there,  which does a much better job of it, and comes with covers for the internal window frames too (which would be another 4 prim, otherwise). So, yeah, no need to reinvent the wheel. The skin comes at a token price of LL $49, and is copy/mod.

Exactly. I'm puzzled why there would be any need to chide people about using the nice mesh option(s). 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

You can take a look at mine but you might be shocked by some of the accessories and toys I have lying around. 

I can't help it - I just keep chuckling every time I think about people getting offended by your stuff.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I can't help it - I just keep chuckling every time I think about people getting offended by your stuff.

The truth is that most of it looks like perfectly acceptable normal furniture until you start clicking on it and seeing the menus, and even at that most of my super dirty kinky things aren't out on my boat.

I ran out of prims. 

There are one or two things that might hold a few surprises, though, if one has RLV enabled... 

Edit: I've seen MUCH dirtier things than I have by flying up over 2,000 and taking a look around  🤪

Edited by Beth Macbain
Added stuff.
  • Haha 3

Well I certainly did not want "to chide people about using the nice mesh option(s)"

Noone wants to reinvent the weel. I am not a big builder myself and for my Evening Star I bought the very nice addon by @Blush Bravin

Not knowing the Windlass in detail my advice was more of a general nature: If you have a problem,  just TRY to takle it yourself. Hiding a wall is easier than some Never-Builder might tend to think. If there is a window in it that MIGHT be solved by a Texture that has a transparent "hole" where the window is, and that can be placed exactly by stretching that texture and moving it on the prim.

Just to save prims I once (several years ago) made a cover of one wall of my little cottage in Ville de Coer that had two windows in it. I took a screenshot of the wall, made the windows sections transparent and added things like a mirror, a picture, curtains on the texture. ... just for fun ... I am not really a builder.

Edited by Leora Jacobus

19 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Why the heck don't they (not the Moles biut the people using this boat) just create one single prim, making it about 1cm thick, phantom, and the exact size and form of that blue wall, placing it in front of the wall and texturing it any way they like??

That reads to me as "chiding", as does:

6 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

just TRY to takle it yourself

/me shrugs

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.