How Do You Know If Your Art is Good?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How do you know if your art is good or not?

Let's say you art shows good color, composition, originality...but you still feel something is lacking.

What is that 'something'?

For me, I took a look at some of my art and felt it was lacking simplicity, space, it was too confusing or too busy.

I have been struggling for weeks now with my art and don't know what it is actually lacking.

What does it take to be a good artist besides all of the above?  

Is it practice?

What do you think?

There is an old saying..."how do you get to Carnegie Hall"?  The pun is...practice, practice, practice.  

Is that all there is too it?  Practice?

• Like 3

No, not practice although there are times when I am sure many artists would like to be able to create "better" technically.

The key really IMO is that you need to have something to SAY and then be able to translate that into your art. 

Color theory, composition, perspective are all important -- relative of course to the type of art you are working at; they just aren't the MOST important thing :D.

• Like 4

Using your imagination to create a visual message. 

What would your young child's first sculpted clay (and properly fired) cup, given to you as a gift, say to you? The sculpted clay is the art but it was the artist (child) that gave it meaning.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

How do you know if your art is good or not?

Let's say you art shows good color, composition, originality...but you still feel something is lacking.

What is that 'something'?

For me, I took a look at some of my art and felt it was lacking simplicity, space, it was too confusing or too busy.

I have been struggling for weeks now with my art and don't know what it is actually lacking.

What does it take to be a good artist besides all of the above?  

Is it practice?

What do you think?

There is an old saying..."how do you get to Carnegie Hall"?  The pun is...practice, practice, practice.  

Is that all there is too it?  Practice?

As a writer and hobbyist artist myself, I consider my art "good enough" when *I* think it's just so good enough to let go and publish it or post it on a site like DeviantArt. And when there's positive feedback from others (like favs, comments, etc.), I think "obviously someone thinks my stuff is better than I think it is". Because, even after publishing my stuff (drawings, photo manipulations, free-verse poems, or prose) I can still find details I could have made better.

And about practice: I think first you need talent, and you'll improve this talent by constant practice. If you have no talent for a certain art, you can practice for years without getting any better. For example, I could practice painting (with watercolor or acryl) all day, but over the decades I had to realize that I've made no progress at all because I simply lack the necessary talent for it. That's why I stick to the things I do make progress at.

• Like 1

By one definition at least, art is human creation that provokes an emotional response.  If you buy that definition, then I suppose how "good" art is depends on how strong the response is or -- to take a Utilitarian perspective -- how many people are responding.  My 4 year old granddaughter gave me a lovely crayon drawing yesterday that made me smile, so I guess it's art. If I showed it to you or 100 other people, though, .... meh. 

Still, that definition of art is lacking something. Maybe "purpose" or "talent". Thorinll is right:

5 hours ago, ThorinII said:

I think first you need talent, and you'll improve this talent by constant practice. If you have no talent for a certain art, you can practice for years without getting any better.

That's me. Every once in a while, if I am really lucky, I can sketch something that pleases me enough to be worth sharing. Most of the "art" that I create barely makes me smile.  I think one good measure of artistic talent is an innate ability to create "art" with moderate consistency -- more than just a one-time lucky shot. If you have talent, you can practice to develop that talent into a real asset. If you don't, all the practice in the world isn't going to help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on what you've described I think you might be approaching your art with too much of a conscious mind, and that letting your unconscious mind take the reins would result in a better outcome.
Seeing with 'fresh eyes', with curiosity and wonder, is more of an unconscious process that we do not control -- we can facilitate its emergence though:
   https://zenhabits.net/beginner/
Once you have the basics down, as you say you have, it is the 'beginner's mind' that needs to be practiced.

Art seems to be a combination of what is 'the same' or comforting in our world combined with a dash of novelty. It's easy to get stuck in a mind rut and stop seeing and communicating the novelty, but it's this novelty that causes art to feel alive -- we can then see what appears to be common in a new way.
Once again, one has to SEE in order to communicate. Too much of the time we just stop looking.
Look at your art as if it has something to teach you, and it will start telling you secrets.

Now on to practice my advice on this cluttered corner of a desert landscape where it appears I totally lost it...lol.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

I've been looking at this topic for days waiting for the moment when I felt in control enough to respond. I hate the question. As a retired art teacher I really dislike it because the value of beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Who is to say what is good or not? 

We can probably pick a work apart technically by looking at how well the work used the principles of art or design, but does that mean the art is good? NO!

I honestly feel that all art is good. Some might move me more than others. Some might keep me wondering what was the message of the artist longer than others. Art that pours from the soul of a person is good, period! 

/me steps down from soapbox

• Like 5

@ Luna Bliss k, I'll look into it.  Though, I too, have always believed art is created in the subconscious mind.  

I am working on a new type of art to me - mixed media digital collage.  Something I have wanted to do for 15 years but did not have the time. 

As far as talent, I think that is what I am questioning - do I have the talent to make it worth while to continue to practice.  It costs money to practice.  lol.  I can't spend too much money!   

I read an article on the five things that make art great.  I remember four.  The article said technique, evokes emotion, newness (makes one go 'why didn't I think of that'), and concept.  I forgot the fifth one but I will try to find it and post the link.

Thanks for all the insight you've all shared thus far.  

• Like 1

What is good art? Some of the art on display in museums and valued high today was ridiculed by most when shown in the past - same with some novels, most music.

I have a friend, who is an artist and painting RL and she once told me, art and creating is like an urge pressing to come out, she got something her on mind, a feeling inside, she want to express.

Edited by Rachel1206
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I've been looking at this topic for days waiting for the moment when I felt in control enough to respond. I hate the question. As a retired art teacher I really dislike it because the value of beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Who is to say what is good or not? 

We can probably pick a work apart technically by looking at how well the work used the principles of art or design, but does that mean the art is good? NO!

I honestly feel that all art is good. Some might move me more than others. Some might keep me wondering what was the message of the artist longer than others. Art that pours from the soul of a person is good, period! 

/me steps down from soapbox

@ Blush Bravin ...yes, art is from the soul.  In many ways, art just is, and it is very difficult to put into words why it is good or great.

We just feel it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

As far as talent, I think that is what I am questioning - do I have the talent to make it worth while to continue to practice.

I think that, since you already have the sensitivity of an artist, you could always develop the talent needed as long as your venue is one you truly love. I don't think one is necessarily born with talent as some believe, but rather it manifests when one loves what they're doing. Love and appreciate and the rest will follow! Since you've been wanting to do this for 15 years it sounds like something you could really love...
I'm assuming here that most artists have a sensitive nature to begin with though -- they are more open and have empathy for their surroundings. Not sure if we could turn a ramrod warrior into an artist...lol...there might be limits!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

Who is to say what is good or not? 

It's not always an easy thing to do, but the way forward in determining whether your art is "good" is to compare yourself only with yourself, and not with other people. Best to ignore how others judge it. Only you know if your art caused you to learn something new, or express yourself in just the right way, or brought love (appreciation) for the elements you are contemplating. Others often won't see it the way you do as they are different people with different awarenesses. It's nice if you brought beauty to another and if they appreciate what you did, but never depend on that -- it's a sinking ship :(
Art is really for the individual to learn, grow, & express themselves -- it's not to please others.

I have seen too many students crushed by the opinions of others so I think it's why I react so strongly to such a suggestion. I've seen too many art students with great potential who nearly give up because someone said their art wasn't good. It was a constant battle for me to get students to take the risk to see what was inside of them trying to come out. 

I also believe there is an artist in every living person who is trying to express themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I have seen too many students crushed by the opinions of others so I think it's why I react so strongly to such a suggestion. I've seen too many art students with great potential who nearly give up because someone said their art wasn't good. It was a constant battle for me to get students to take the risk to see what was inside of them trying to come out. 

I also believe there is an artist in every living person who is trying to express themselves.

That deserves 2 likes...

I remember an art 'teacher' who asked in front of a huge class if I'd ever actually looked at a tree before when I drew my first (apparently very bad) tree. I left art classes for years after that.

• Sad 4

There is no such thing as bad art. All art is good art. Even the "bad" art is good art because any art is a practice towards getting even better. If you want to know how to improve your art or whether your art is at the standard required for the task you are trying to achieve then constructive criticism from your artistic peers is key. You don't always have to listen to them and sometimes probably shouldn't but at the same time is one of the best ways to see your art in an alternative light and to see if the message you are trying to portray is getting across as you meant it.

At least you didn't ask "what is art?". We would be here for hours debating that one

Source : BA Honors Degree Fine Art

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

That deserves 2 likes...

I remember an art 'teacher' who asked in front of a huge class if I'd ever actually looked at a tree before when I drew my first (apparently very bad) tree. I left art classes for years after that.

Oh, that's awful!

Similar thing happened to me fairly recently.  I was sketching a tree outside -- something I NEVER DID BEFORE.

And, a man walks over to me, looks at my sketch and says "that's NOT the way you draw a tree.  You should look at the tree for two minutes, and then go up to your room and draw the tree", he said.  

I've done that many, many times before...just drawn a tree off the top of my head without looking at any tree.  I wanted to try something new.  I like the tree I sketched while sitting outside, and I kind of thought he was jerk.  Probably because I liked the sketch of the tree, and it's good.  

But back to your teacher's comment...was your drawing of the tree abstract?  Perhaps he or she was only a technique type of person or something.  It's hard to know.  That's an odd comment from a teacher, imo.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Oh, that's awful!

Similar thing happened to me fairly recently.  I was sketching a tree outside -- something I NEVER DID BEFORE.

And, a man walks over to me, looks at my sketch and says "that's NOT the way you draw a tree.  You should look at the tree for two minutes, and then go up to your room and draw the tree", he said.  

But back to your teacher's comment...was your drawing of the tree abstract?

It amazes me what some strangers feel they have a right to comment on...like with your tree.

I'm afraid my tree was not meant to be abstract...wish I would've thought to say that to my teacher! lol   We were supposed to be doing realism, and she was actually right...I had not really LOOKED at a tree it seems  :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.