How Do You Know If Your Art is Good?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Here's an etching that I made 40 years ago in an adult ed art class.  As I recall, the teacher said something like "Nice composition, really overworked.  Try again."  I never did. I'm at the limits of my artistic talent and have found more rewarding ways to spend my creative time, but it was fun to try and he was very kind.  Art doesn't need to be great or even "good" to be satisfying.

I like your etching...

And yes, it is the process that matters...and the most important part of what makes art "good" in my eyes...

It's such a vulnerable & confusing time when a creator is exploring a new venue for their creativity...they actually need some external support....yet the goal is to move on beyond needing it..

11 hours ago, Shudo said:

I grew up in a family of artists...

Imposter syndrome is hard, and it's so tempting to judge your art to other's standards.

That must be difficult, developing as an artist under such conditions. Hopefully they are supportive of you?

Yes that "imposter syndrome"...it's always there even if one is not comparing themselves to others...one always knows they can do a better job and as soon as one is finished it's not 'adequate' anymore..lol.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThorinII said:

I think it depends. There's positive criticism on one side, and negative - even harmful - criticism on the other side. The latter one, unfortunately, is the most used one, that's why criticism almost always has the meaning of "negative criticism"

Yes, "criticism" is such a loaded word and many think it always means something negative. I like to use 'critique' instead so as to avoid confusion when giving feedback.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.