Group Tag Animator Removal - Thoughts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Blush Bravin changed the title to Group Tag Animator Removal - Thoughts?
1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

I'm kinda glad to see them go. I typically found it annoying at clubs when I'd see messages about changing people's tags within a certain amount of time. But I'm wondering if they are still a thing and if people are going to miss them.

Not to be confused with titlers. One is a worn scripted object that does not affect the overhead tag. The other one affects the hard coded floater over the avatar's head.

If they are breaking normally worn titlers, it's gonna make people upset. 

I can understand doing something about the later. 

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Not to be confused with titlers. One is a worn scripted object that does not affect the overhead tag. The other one affects the hard coded floater over the avatar's head.

If they are breaking normally worn titlers, it's gonna make people upset. 

I can understand doing something about the later. 

I didn't realize there was a difference. Still not sure what you are referring to though. How are they different?

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

I didn't realize there was a difference. Still not sure what you are referring to though. How are they different?

one spams llSetText() on a timer, the other spams llSay() on a timer to trigger viewer commands via RLV with listens as far as I can gather.

No doubt making a lot of traffic as all our viewers are exchanging info about what tag's you can and can't see on nameplates, I dunno how the viewer handles it but this was bound to happen.

Never mind that it's incredibly annoying trying to talk to someone using it...

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

The white text without the black background is a titler. The text with the black background is the LL name tag that shows groups and display names. It is the latter people are messing with that LL wants to stop. It should not have any effect on titlers as those are scripted objects worn by avatars that have no effect on name/group/display name tags.

titler.jpg?1509192827

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The white text without the black background is a titler. The text with the black background is the LL name tag that shows groups and display names. It is the latter people are messing with that LL wants to stop. It should not have any effect on titlers as those are scripted objects worn by avatars that have no effect on name/group/display name tags.

titler.jpg?1509192827

Ah okay ... the ones I've seen appear inside the black portion. I always thought those were titlers. Now I know the difference.

Hardly anybody uses titlers any more.  Titlers display some text floating near/above your avatar, NOT in the nametag.  Group titles show up in your nametag, in the line just above your actual name.

And in response to the original question...good job, LL.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

For a little more background, there's this thread from back in October.

As Kitty says in that thread, it's not doing the RLV "@setgroup" thing cycling Groups as I'd feared, but rather cycling Roles within a group, so I don't know just how heavy that impact really was. (For a hint of what would have been so scary about repeated Group change, turn on Object Updates, cam back a few meters, and change your avatar's Group. It's quite a light show.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

There are still quite a few who do use them. I still have both kinds the one others can change and the original that others can't change.

...changes your Evil Titler to read "ON FIRE!"

(I learned that from Maddy.)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

For a little more background, there's this thread from back in October.

As Kitty says in that thread, it's not doing the RLV "@setgroup" thing cycling Groups as I'd feared, but rather cycling Roles within a group, so I don't know just how heavy that impact really was. (For a hint of what would have been so scary about repeated Group change, turn on Object Updates, cam back a few meters, and change your avatar's Group. It's quite a light show.)

About as much impact as a certain TPV dev using other people's computers to attack a website. Damn near killed the pc I had at the time.

The feature as added was to enable group role changes via RLV .. we were primarily anticipating RP orientated uses and having different visible roles depending on your characters situational context. That use case is still more or less ok with the throttling as put in by LL.

We were not anticipating people changing the group role so as to create constantly scrolling messages and literally hammering the region with group role commands as fast as their script would allow in perpetuity. We did also not fully anticipate what was happening server side, seems it's not as simple / lacks the caching we had expected.

Once it was made clear we did reach out to many vendors informing them and suggesting they cease selling and consider refunding sales (weeks ago), but apparently making gobs of quick cash was more important.

We had implemented out own viewer side throttling that would have killed the scrolling message toys, but it would have taken time to migrate out to other TPV's and even then people might choose not update. Thankfully LL got out ahead and did it server-side .. I guess we owe them a nice feature to make up for it ❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

We were not anticipating people changing the group role so as to create constantly scrolling messages and literally hammering the region with group role commands as fast as their script would allow in perpetuity. We did also not fully anticipate what was happening server side, seems it's not as simple / lacks the caching we had expected.

Something I learned a very long time ago about people in SL. People are going to take unfair advantage of such things. IMO, that is something all TPV devs need to keep in mind. If it is something that could be exploited, there will always be at least one jackanape who will do so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I've been to a few places where people are just not understanding and think LL is lying,  I should stay out of voice sims lol.

Oh I've been told that in IMs too,.. staying away from voice won't help you - but is it really surprising?

Edited by Fionalein

16 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

We were not anticipating people changing the group role so as to create constantly scrolling messages and literally hammering the region with group role commands as fast as their script would allow in perpetuity.

I recall quite clearly, a video of one unnamed TPV dev with a heart bumper showing off the feature before it hit. When she was bumped the hearts would animate in the same fashion.

I think that this exact video sparked the animated titlers.

This TPV dev's was of course well written, unoffensive, and not so lag inducing as it was limited to only firing when she was bumped, but it was the spark, I think.

I don't think it was unexpected, I wrote one myself from the idea in that video. Then I saw the lag when i ran it and binned it.

Edited by Shudo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.