Group tag cycling code

sage Nirvana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We have no control over a group tag with LSL.  I suspect that you are looking at hover text in a "titler".  Use your Search facility in Marketplace.  You'll find dozens and dozens of them.  Or you can post in the Wanted forum.

Edited by Rolig Loon

1 minute ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I believe this became possible with the new RLV update. Basically, you create multiple roles in a group and assign yourself to sll of them, then change your role with RLV repeatedly.

Yes, that's correct.

@setgroup:<uuid|name>;<role>=force

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Huh. I seem to recall that changing active group causes a bunch of (seemingly unrelated) stuff to update. I wonder how much lag is caused each time that @setgroup is called, and how much of it affects others as well as the changed-group agent.

P.S. I would not recommend any people to do this either. This is probably not the intended purpose for the feature and may have serious side-effects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Huh. I seem to recall that changing active group causes a bunch of (seemingly unrelated) stuff to update. I wonder how much lag is caused each time that @setgroup is called, and how much of it affects others as well as the changed-group agent.

Those cyclers are a mess for collars in the same region.

They totally swamp the RLV channel, and the result seems to be a lot of valid messages go missing.

Edit: I'd like to see a serious throttle put on the use of it. There is little need to select a group more then once every 10 or so seconds.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

They totally swamp the RLV channel, and the result seems to be a lot of valid messages go missing.

Edit: I'd like to see a serious throttle put on the use of it. There is little need to select a group more then once every 10 or so seconds.

Yes, especially since they can just use other techniques to do something similar that has little if any performance hit, a throttle seems smart on that, im surprised its possible even.

It used to be that changing group would prompt a refresh for your avatar (or something like that), and was a useful nudge when things got stuck. Presumably it still is, though I've not had a bake failure for a long time and haven't had to try it.

But does changing the group role, and thus the tag, without changing the group have the same effect? 

6 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Wait isn't that what we have RLV for? Generating massive lag in the name of kink? I see no difference to the regular RLV users, maybe taking it one step further, but I don't see that much of a difference...

7 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

I don't understand.   If someone is wearing an attachment that changes her own group, it'll use llOwnerSay.   If someone is sending commands on the RLV channel to change someone else's group, how does that swamp the RLV channel more than any other commands sent to a relay (particularly if -- as it should -- the script uses llRegionSayTo())?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

They aren't changing the active group, but rather changing the active role within the currently active group to get a different group title. That part is new since the last RLVa release; the ability to change the active group (without control over the active role) has been part of general RLV for many years now.

As an aside, changing your active group shouldn't make that much of a difference. Access is independent of active group, placing prims is viewer dependent (which is how viewers can have a "rez under land group",  etc. Changing the role shouldn't do anything except broadcast the title string to everyone that has you on their interest list; which is less impact than a titler that keeps cycling its letters.

---

That said, I've had some people poke with concerns; if I see things go out of control then I'll slap a throttle on it or remove it entirely as a failed experiment of introducing more "fun" things to play with.

Edited by Kitty Barnett
  • Thanks 7

On 10/28/2018 at 12:30 AM, Innula Zenovka said:

I don't understand.   If someone is wearing an attachment that changes her own group, it'll use llOwnerSay.   If someone is sending commands on the RLV channel to change someone else's group, how does that swamp the RLV channel more than any other commands sent to a relay (particularly if -- as it should -- the script uses llRegionSayTo())?

The one I saw absolutely played havok with my subs collars. Maybe it was poorly scripted, but we had to leave the region.

Edited by Callum Meriman

13 hours ago, Kitty Barnett said:

And it's been removed; if you made/sell something based on this I suggest you refund your customers or you'll have some very angry people after the next RLVa release.

Pity. I had just really learned about this feature change not long ago.   I saw it as a niche thing with a very narrow application.  But that said, I was kinda kicking around ideas on how it might be used within that niche scope.  I'd not gotten nothing past the concept/idea phase so no big loss of time or effort though. 

But to be clear, it's only the title/role change part of that feature that has been taken away, not the general group change command, yes?

Edited by Anna Salyx
typo, dropped word

15 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

The one I saw absolutely played havok with my subs collars. Maybe it was poorly scripted, but we had to leave the region.

Kitty's decision to pull the feature suggests there must be more to it than I can see, but what you describe sounds to me more likely to have been to do with something spamming the collars with requests rather than with the content of the requests themselves.

On 10/26/2018 at 8:54 PM, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

I seen someone posting a gif here of a "life bar" made with this kind of thing, but the group tag only changed when someone bumped on the avatar wearing it and after a few seconds the "full life" state was restored.

That was mine when we were testing the feature .. it's a fairly slow effect thats very limited in duration

• Like 3

i think a throttle would be the way to go

as I like the idea of using it as an alternative to a titler. I like the visual cleanliness of it

as for request spam then am not sure that would be any different to any other request. With a throttle then scripters will soon adjust their practices when using the function

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

thank you kitty.  This will prevent some issues we've been having with people and their '"Blank you"  or some other choice ones and them refusing to remove it "my master locked it, I cant undo it" and wanting to fight about it.   figure I'd speak up more than I did in my other topic about what I had actaully seen.   instead of just worrying about the backend lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.