looking for houses

joumenejallouli5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I adore Roost homes. If you like modern, well built mesh homes that are perhaps on the larger size with lots of rooms then Roost http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Roost/158/130/28 is awesome. If you like something out of the ordinary, perhaps even a bit quirky then Scarlet Creative http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Scarlet Creative/111/200/48 is great, if you want something that looks like an aged cottage you would have found in an old Hollywood hills setting then take a look at L2Studio http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LHOOQ/214/37/34. I could go on and on but these are at the top of my list. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, Zeta Vandyke said:

Scarlet Creative and Trompe Loueil are by far my favorites, so much lovely details

I haven't looked at Trompe Loeil items for a while but the last time I bought some of their furniture I found that all their LODs but the highest one were a single triangle. So yeah, they look great but are poorly constructed to be able to sell as Low LI.

1 minute ago, Ethan Paslong said:

tiki tattoo

I love their stuff but zero costumer service. I am still trying to get that campfire to work that came as part of a purchase, sent several IM's and Notecards over the past year but nope...not a single aknowledgement. I just want the campfire to work :(

25 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

it's been very long time ago i been there, but remember from the past their rezzers could be jammed for a week or longer before resetting.. so guessing nothing changed :)

I had been there quite frequently when I was making a beach parcel, and then moved and had even more space and as far as I could tell its up to a month+ wait time now to get that area cleared. It's such a shame because their stuff is wonderful and I would have spent so much more linden there >.<

Maybe I shouldn't reply since I make and sell houses myself but I risk it anyway since you're probably not looking for a low lag, low land impact cottage (which is my speciality).

La Galleria and Maven Homes are safe, reliable brands if you want a big house. They never do anythng wrong afaik. InVerse is usually a good choice but stay away from their early mesh houses, it took them a while before they figured out how to do it.

I love everything from Scarlet Collective myself. A bit on the laggy side and not always very practical builds but they're so lovely in their quirkiness.

Unlike Christiania I've usually found Trompe Loeil builds to have good LoD, but yes, I know of a few exceptions. Trompe Loeil tends to be extremely laggy though and that is something you should consider unless you have a powerful game computer and your land is well away from public view.

Some general tips:

• Never ever buy a house without actually seeing it in-world. A picture on MP can lie more than a thousand words.
  • Check the LoD. Especially for the outer walls. You do not want them to collapse so people can see inside your house. Cam out or move away from the house until you are just at the draw distance. Are the walls still solid? If not, don't buy. (I'm afraid that eliminates at least one of the brands recommended in this thread. I won't say which, see for yourself.)
  • Check the physics. Can you walk on the floors (or do you sink into them or hover above them)? Can you walk through the doorways? Are the walls solid? Can you rez on the floors? If the answer is no to any of those questions, you probably don't want it.
  • Check the lag. This is tricky because we don't really have good ways to measure it. But there are two way to get a reasonable indication:
    • Right-click on the house and select edit. Make sure you have selected the whole house, if not, shift-click on the unselected parts until you have them all. Then, in the edit window that turns up, look for a link named "More info", click on it and look at "Display" in the lsit of weights. The lower that number is, the better but what is realistic depends on what kind of house it is:
      • Small cottage: Anything below 10,000 is good, anything below 25,000 is probably acceptable
      • Small house: 20,000 should be ok, 30,000-40,000 isn't too bad
      • For a family home: maybe 50,000 is ok
      • For a mansion: I don't know... maybe 100,000-150,000 is acceptable
    • Another good indicator is VRAM. That function is only available in Firestorm, not in the official viewer and you find it by right-clicking and selecting Object->Inspect. Again, you want it as low as possible but realisitcally:
      • Small cottage: No more than 25,000 (and even that is a bit too high)
      • Small house: Ideally less than 50,000, realistically, less than 100,000
      • Family home: You really don't want to go higehr than 100,000
      • Mansion: Not higher than 500 MB (500,000 Kb), ideally no more than 200,000
Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Cam out or move away from the house until you are just at the draw distance.

This actually reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask for a while:  Is there any fairly simple way to determine your cam distance from an object?  

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This actually reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask for a while:  Is there any fairly simple way to determine your cam distance from an object?  

Well, for some objects, If it resembles the picture on MP,  your camera is 0.10 m or less away from it, if it looks like a triangle it's more than that.

I sometimes us a prim as a measuring stick. I don't know of any other method than that.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I get a rough idea using the minimap. The camera location shows on the map (at least in Firestorm) and I know where the object is because that's where the camera started.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Another good indicator is VRAM. That function is only available in Firestorm, not in the official viewer and you find it by right-clicking and selecting Object->Inspect. Again, you want it as low as possible but realisitcally:

• Small cottage: No more than 25,000 (and even that is a bit too high)
  • Small house: Ideally less than 50,000, realistically, less than 100,000
  • Family home: You really don't want to go higehr than 100,000
  • Mansion: Not higher than 500 MB (500,000 Kb), ideally no more than 200,000

Oh god...all houses I have or find pretty, are above that x_x

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I use Firestorm's area search to get that info.

1159250702_areasearch.png.04cbf21bec946f5ede82a4a6b3632f76.png

I just need the name of the object and I can see exactly how far away from that object I am by using this handy tool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Blush Bravin said:

I use Firestorm's area search to get that info.

1159250702_areasearch.png.04cbf21bec946f5ede82a4a6b3632f76.png

I just need the name of the object and I can see exactly how far away from that object I am by using this handy tool.

yes i thought about that earlier also , but LittleMe was talking about camming out to check the lod, for the area search you hava to move yourself.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.