Mythical, Limited Edition and/or Hard to Find Items

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

There was a fad at one time (at least in my circles) to give someone an attachment, which you would obviously rename to whatever would get your victim to accept and wear it. It was a toilet which, once you were "wearing" it, would sit you on it, pull you inside with a flushing sound and then fling you into orbit. I got my Dom about five times with it. I think he assumed after the first time (and second, and third, and fourth) that, having received my punishment, I wouldn't dare do it again, or just that the joke would get old for me. He was wrong. 

I want this so, so bad. I don't care if it's an old, primmy style sheep, in fact I hope it is. Is it copy/trans? Or is there any way I can acquire it? I'll pay or do anything. Pleeeeeease....

@Amina Sopwith  I'm so sorry...I checked and my Sheep Ring is No Transfer.  It was made by Sindy Tsure.  Her Marketplace store contains no items, and I have no idea if Sindy is even still active in SL...but you could send her an IM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

There was a fad at one time (at least in my circles) to give someone an attachment, which you would obviously rename to whatever would get your victim to accept and wear it. It was a toilet which, once you were "wearing" it, would sit you on it, pull you inside with a flushing sound and then fling you into orbit. I got my Dom about five times with it. I think he assumed after the first time (and second, and third, and fourth) that, having received my punishment, I wouldn't dare do it again, or just that the joke would get old for me. He was wrong. 

There's a refrigerator that, if you click it, starts to growl.  It opens up, displaying a huge toothy mouth.  A long tongue drags you inside, kicking and screaming.  The fridge starts to bump and roll around the floor, and finally spits you out.  This one is still for sale, at the Joke Factory.  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Primary/118/138/21

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There's a refrigerator that, if you click it, starts to growl.  It opens up, displaying a huge toothy mouth.  A long tongue drags you inside, kicking and screaming.  The fridge starts to bump and roll around the floor, and finally spits you out.  This one is still for sale, at the Joke Factory.  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Primary/118/138/21

I've seen it. It got me at a fairground sim.

• Like 2

I have a sheep from Manticore, I don't even remember why I have it*, I think maybe I won it in a lucky chair or something; I did intend to buy more but I never did, and then they were gone.

* No, it wasn't for that. Get your minds out of the gutter, people!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have several items from Hybrid (one of the first stores to sell Animal/Human Hybrid parts), avatars from The Lost Furrest/Lost Furrest Creatures, several IoW dragons (including adults) and one particular item that - while not made by a well known creator - still holds a special place for me.

One of the friends I made early on in Second Life went about testing some of the limits of LSL as well as stress testing (often accidentally) the sim servers. I asked her one day if she could make me a double ended throwing Scythe, which she did ... and then took that further by making a "Scythe" Crossbow - no it did not fire Scythes, it was a Crossbow whose arms were scythe blades.

What makes this special to me?

The bolt ammunition was varied: Multi-bolt spreads/rains, "status effects", "Elemental" bolts (most using particle effects), two that dropped things at the impact point - a Meteor Bolt and a Sheep Dropper, and one which rezzed five Sheep that ran at the impact point as if part of a Stampede.

Why do I consider it worth mentioning at all?

Because of the physics engine at the time of its creation, if you fired too many Sheep Droppers, too quickly (you could set the firing rate as part of the configuration options) ... You'd bring down an entire aim thanks to the physics calcs.

• Like 1

I just found another: My Titler Gun. An invisible HUD I wear, then in Mouselook I aim at anyone and click. Then it asks me to type in a title and choose a color. Then it would "shoot" that title onto that person. It even works in no-rez places and it's sticky: there is no way to remove the title unless you TP to another sim or relog into another sim. A simple relog into the same sim and the title returns.

I just tested it - it still works. Yes, it can be abused in the wrong hands, though I always tried to use it sparingly and responsibly, like calling out annoying people like those self-important ignorants who play genuinely irritating sounds from their avatars or click the sound-gesture buttons far too frequently and things like that. I should start using it again

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

I just found another: My Titler Gun. An invisible HUD I wear, then in Mouselook I aim at anyone and click. Then it asks me to type in a title and choose a color. Then it would "shoot" that title onto that person. It even works in no-rez places and it's sticky: there is no way to remove the title unless you TP to another sim or relog into another sim. A simple relog into the same sim and the title returns.

I just tested it - it still works. Yes, it can be abused in the wrong hands, though I always tried to use it sparingly and responsibly, like calling out annoying people like those self-important ignorants who play genuinely irritating sounds from their avatars or click the sound-gesture buttons far too frequently and things like that. I should start using it again

Oh boy, I want one of those!  I'd even trade my Sheep Ring for it, if I could.

Evil Titlers, which you fixed to yourself and other people could change, were popular once. The titler would hold your title for X minutes, and then would speak in open chat, inviting people to set a new one. Whoever got in first got to set it until the next changeover time.

I'm a fast typer so I often managed to set them. Usually to "AFK - masturbating". I was always surprised at how many wearers got offended by it. What were they expecting?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh boy, I want one of those!  I'd even trade my Sheep Ring for it, if I could.

Bahahaha!  From aubreTEC (I dunno if you remember them - they aren't around anymore) - it was L$100:

Image%202019-02-10%20at%208.31.52%20AM.p

And the first paragraph of the Info notecard says this:

"Overview:

"The tagTEC is a simple HUD that allows you to aim and fire text labels that follow around above your victim's heads.  Put a warning label on your favorite assclown so that people will know what they are like before they make the mistake of talking to them."

Bahahahaha!!!

On 2/7/2019 at 7:30 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

Am I the only one left that has a Sperm Gun? 

My BFSL (Best Friend in SL) and I used to have a blast with them. I miss Tabby. :(

I think I might have one of those in inventory will check later.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 2:29 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I love that fridge!  I have one!

On 2/6/2019 at 12:28 PM, Nacy Nightfire said:

When I joined SL in  fall of 2007,  older residents, who I ardently envied for having a much earlier history in SL then me, described (did I read about this on someones blog?)  a handbag that would drop items periodically as one wore it.  On the line of rubber ducks, kitchen sinks and the like.  These were temporary objects which would eventually disappear.  I still covet that object 12 years later,  and I assume it has never been recreated or made  available. 

Anyone own or know about similar stellar objects that are no longer for sale or cannot be found or bought for any price?

That sounds like Starax's magic wand, it had those things. Then supposedly it was broken by the Lindens changing something about the way things rezzed. Or maybe not. Anyway, he left the world in a huff.

The thing I'd love to have and I stumble on it occasionally is this magic Japanese rock, it says to rub it for good luck, you click on it and it spins. The person who made it is gone from SL.

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Then supposedly it was broken by the Lindens changing something about the way things rezzed. Or maybe not. Anyway, he left the world in a huff.

Dollars to donuts s/he's still in SL under a new persona.  How can one stay away? Especially someone that much talent that has an early adopter pedigree (I'm guessing).  I'm fairly limited in skills, yet even so, I keep returning to SL (after either leaving in a huff or burn-out driving me away) because creating anything in SL, even badly designed items, is so much fun.

46 minutes ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

Dollars to donuts s/he's still in SL under a new persona.  How can one stay away? Especially someone that much talent that has an early adopter pedigree (I'm guessing).  I'm fairly limited in skills, yet even so, I keep returning to SL (after either leaving in a huff or burn-out driving me away) because creating anything in SL, even badly designed items, is so much fun.

Starax is not in SL and hasn't been for years. It's not that hard, for some of us, to stay away for long periods or even permanantly.

The last time I "left" SL I simply just didn't log in for over 4 years. I logged in for a few days everyday. Since then it has tapered off to me not logging in again. I can no longer afford to own land (or pay for premium) so that has ended my creating within SL. I was hoping I could go premium this year but with the changes to the tax laws, my federal refund was $372 USD this year when it had been $1000- $1500. 

188-1200766486.gif.0cc121ca329107b67ed3b175e03e00c1.gif

On 2/12/2019 at 1:37 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

Starax is not in SL and hasn't been for years. It's not that hard, for some of us, to stay away for long periods or even permanantly.

The last time I "left" SL I simply just didn't log in for over 4 years. I logged in for a few days everyday. Since then it has tapered off to me not logging in again. I can no longer afford to own land (or pay for premium) so that has ended my creating within SL. I was hoping I could go premium this year but with the changes to the tax laws, my federal refund was $372 USD this year when it had been $1000- $1500. 

Please don't misunderstand me here.  I do  feel  the pain folks are suffering re: the reduced tax refund business.  We should all be aware of what our tax bracket is and how much withholding our employers take out on our behalf.  I am not currently getting a paycheck from an employer, and I'm guessing it's still possible, if you are on top of such things,  to amend the withdrawal amount your employer takes out of your paycheck.  It was explained to me by a tax expert, and quite enlightening,  that  perfect withholding leaves you with no refund at all as it means you have not have not overpaid your taxes through the year.  This overpayment of taxes to employers requiring a refund, has become something of like an old-fashioned Christmas savings account -  money withdrawn automatically from your paycheck, which does not earn interest, but you get the principle back in the end.  If there is a miminum your employer must withhold by law  that still provides you with a refund, it's actually a good thing that law has been changed as that refund doesn't change your actual tax bracket/obligation, it's just a delay in receiving your earnings.  I can understand complaining about one's actual tax bracket, but the refund complaints do not make much sense.  And fine tuning the withholding to the point where you don't receive a big refund check probably cuts down on theft/fraud re: these large refund checks.

Re:  Starax and many others who left SL.

I joined SL in 2007.   I've been on a hiatus for the past 4 or 5 years until recently.  For  4 or 5 years prior to that I limited my SL activity to working on mesh objects which I shared with a friend who owns a shop in SL.  Other then connecting with this friend, mostly outside SL, Idid not socialize or do the consumer thing.   I rarely logged in. I've never been a land owner, other then obtaining a linden home in a deserted neighborhood that I rarely visit.   I found it is not hard to take an extended break, (although it's tough to return as so much has changed about how one does things).    Unless you ARE Starex or are his/her RL friend, you simply cannot  know for a fact that he/she hasn't been in SL for years.  Many folks decide to wipe the slate clean and re-invent themselves with a new account  to give themselves a new life in SL.  I've met many over the years.  Some had their hearts broken, some were bored, some had disputes with LL, or friend and/or neighbors and, some just flamed out.  On returning lots still take pride in their early adopter status in SL and indicate their actual birth date on their profile, but they generally aren't  interested in discussing their earlier past, at least as it goes with sharing their past avatar name.

I find it hard imagine that a talented scripter from SL wouldn't find some time at some point to return.  They may have had enough of SL for a while, but it's attractive to us members for a reason that is greater then the annoyances that come when LL makes changes that we find unreasonable or when we have interpersonal melt-downs.  Likely if  the latter is the case (and assuming  you are not  Starax or his/her personal friend), he/she wouldn't make him/herself known to any of us.  That being said, of course membership in LL is down from it's peak and he/she may have disappeared for good.  It's unknowable.

6 minutes ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

things,  to amend the withdrawal amount your employer takes out of your paycheck.

I have the maximum amount withheld. That is how I have managed to get a refund every year for the past 45 years with one exception. That was the year I had to claim my inheritance. Having been a bookkeeper for an undergound utility contractor for 10 years I'm very familiar with the tax laws.

11 minutes ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

Unless you ARE Starex or are his/her RL friend, you simply cannot  know for a fact that he/she hasn't been in SL for years.  Many folks decide to wipe the slate clean and re-invent themselves with a new account  to give themselves a new life in SL

My memory is pretty good and I remember when Starex left. I've been a resident since 2004. That's all I'm going to say about that.

30 minutes ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

Please don't misunderstand me here.  I do  feel  the pain folks are suffering re: the reduced tax refund business.  We should all be aware of what our tax bracket is and how much withholding our employers take out on our behalf.  I am not currently getting a paycheck from an employer, and I'm guessing it's still possible, if you are on top of such things,  to amend the withdrawal amount your employer takes out of your paycheck.  It was explained to me by a tax expert, and quite enlightening,  that  perfect withholding leaves you with no refund at all as it means you have not have not overpaid your taxes through the year.  This overpayment of taxes to employers requiring a refund, has become something of like an old-fashioned Christmas savings account -  money withdrawn automatically from your paycheck, which does not earn interest, but you get the principle back in the end.  If there is a miminum your employer must withhold by law  that still provides you with a refund, it's actually a good thing that law has been changed as that refund doesn't change your actual tax bracket/obligation, it's just a delay in receiving your earnings.  I can understand complaining about one's actual tax bracket, but the refund complaints do not make much sense.  And fine tuning the withholding to the point where you don't receive a big refund check probably cuts down on theft/fraud re: these large refund checks.

While I agree with your assessment here regarding more accurate representation of withholdings, I'm discovering other ways these new tax laws are likely sticking it to the poor and middle class.

There are new rules about hobby income and business classifications (related to what can be classified as an itemized deduction) that I've discovered so far, and no doubt many more. I guess I'll find out for sure if I actually do my taxes today and quit blabbing on the forum.

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

While I agree with your assessment here regarding more accurate representation of withholdings, I'm discovering other ways these new tax laws are likely sticking it to the poor and middle class.

There are new rules about hobby income and business classifications (related to what can be classified as an itemized deduction) that I've discovered so far, and no doubt many more. I guess I'll find out for sure if I actually do my taxes today and quit blabbing on the forum.

Yes you are absolutely right Luna.  The accurate complaint is about the consequence of sneaky effective tax increases  imposed on the middle class along with the confusion surrounding  their implementation.   Many expected deductions have been eliminated. Describing the problem as a withholding check issue just confuses the issue.  

And to get back on topic 😊 - we can only hope Starax is not super-human, but is as weak-willed as Selene and myself, and has stealthily returned to SL to make interesting scripted items under some other name to generously impart the gift of hilarity to us all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

And to get back on topic 😊 - we can only hope Starax is not super-human, but is as weak-willed as Selene and myself, and has stealthily returned to SL to make interesting scripted items under some other name to generously impart the gift of hilarity to us all.

Starex left in 2005. Neither hide nor hair has been seen in SL since. Nothing of the quality and style of workmanship has ever turned up in SL from that point on. Please, just accept that Starex is and has been gone for more than a decade. One of a group of people that has left SL permanently over the years.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.