Mythical, Limited Edition and/or Hard to Find Items

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Starex left in 2005. Neither hide nor hair has been seen in SL since. Nothing of the quality and style of workmanship has ever turned up in SL from that point on. Please, just accept that Starex is and has been gone for more than a decade. One of a group of people that has left SL permanently over the years.

Selene, please explain why you are so tenacious in your insistence that Starex is gone and has never returned at any point or in an any fashion.  How could you possibly do more then offer a conjecture (as have I.)  What purpose does your insistence serve?  As it is, I wrote "we can only hope...".   I don't need to be disabused of my light-hearted expression of hope.  Have you made it your personal crusade to be the big "bubble-burster" here?   

It always appears in retrospect that everything was once so much better in the past - better manufacturing, more clever design, larger portions, etc. etc.  I know a lot of early members of SL hold on to this belief.  SL had evolved since then, there are hundreds of very talented creators since the early days in SL.  We have as many gains over time as we have had losses. Probably many more gains.  I find it very hard to believe "nothing of the quality and style of workmanship has ever turned up in SL from that point on."  

18 hours ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

Selene, please explain why you are so tenacious in your insistence that Starex is gone and has never returned at any point or in an any fashion.  How could you possibly do more then offer a conjecture (as have I.)  What purpose does your insistence serve?  As it is, I wrote "we can only hope...".   I don't need to be disabused of my light-hearted expression of hope.  Have you made it your personal crusade to be the big "bubble-burster" here?   

It always appears in retrospect that everything was once so much better in the past - better manufacturing, more clever design, larger portions, etc. etc.  I know a lot of early members of SL hold on to this belief.  SL had evolved since then, there are hundreds of very talented creators since the early days in SL.  We have as many gains over time as we have had losses. Probably many more gains.  I find it very hard to believe "nothing of the quality and style of workmanship has ever turned up in SL from that point on."  

All that is true, Nacy.  I bet if Starax were here today, he'd be making some amazing things.

What Selene meant, I think, is that Starax made things, using the tools available at the time, that were head and shoulders above what anyone else was making.  Here is an archived Forum thread about him.  http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/0a/171033/1.html   A Google search on "Starax Statosky" will provide many more links for you to investigate.

While anyone can return to SL as an alt, I think, like Selene, that your hope is in vain in this case.  Starax was deeply angry with LL for "breaking" his content, which is what led to his departure.  He left SL before I arrived, but from what I read, it really did not sound as if he'd ever be back.

• Thanks 1

Responding to Lindal:

Perhaps.  We can't know either way.  Yes Starax created amazing sculptures out of primitives back in the early years of SL.  He/she was impressively talented and he/she used the tools he had at the time in a fashion "head and shoulder's" above all others.  However if we consider what many people now create in SL the bar is now set very high.  SL is now filled with extremely impressive and exceptionally talented mesh artists, texture artists, builders and scripters,  so I wonder if anything Starax could/would bother making scripted or sculpted objects of a caliber that would  stand out as far against the competition to the degree his creations had in the early stages of SL.  During his peak here there were far fewer participants in SL and SL had only existed a few years.  

People do get deeply angry with LL for changes in their TOS.  Maybe that limits their future involvement, maybe they leave for good, maybe they like creating things so much they just get over their frustration and return.  Its unknowable if these people return.  So we, if we wish,  can hope they will some day return, even if they stay hidden and unknown.  Who's to really say "all hope is in vain"?  You wrote that from what you read it didn't sound like Starax would be back, but It appears your belief comes from what you read and not from a personal conversation with this person.  Why is it so important for you and Selene to disabuse me of the hope that he's somewhere back in SL doing his thing but out of the limelight?   

BTW I don't think any hope is in vain.  It's only hope, not expectation.  I hope for world peace, but based on what I've witnessed and my understanding of history,  I do not have a very high expectation it will happen, at least not in my lifetime.  Am I allowed to continue to hope?  It would be a very unpleasant existence to be living on this planet without the ability to hope.  

Edited by Nacy Nightfire
Clarity as to who I am responding to

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I thought it was well known that Starax came back as The avatar "Light Waves" of Greenies fame.

I had heard rumors to that effect but nothing definitive.

Just found this on the MP.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Greenies-Collection-by-Light-Waves/2810153?id=2810153&slug=Greenies-Collection-by-Light-Waves

Now I'm wondering just who Lankarion Lock is. lol

I stand corrected.

@Nacy Nightfire My apologies. As angry as Starex was I didn't think he would ever come back to SL. 

I also ran across these:

http://alphavilleherald.com/2007/10/light-waves-sta.html

https://sichelseifert.wordpress.com/2009/01/05/starax-statosky-second-life-giotto/

http://npirl.blogspot.com/2007/09/king-is-dead-long-live-king-starax.html

http://npirl.blogspot.com/search/label/Light Waves

Those last two links, if you look on the right hand side column it does say 

• Light Waves has left the grid

so it looks like Starex/Light Waves has been gone for a few years now. Unless Lankarion is Starex. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

so it looks like Starex/Light Waves has been gone for a few years now. Unless Lankarion is Starex. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And my sincere apologies for both my run-on sentences and my obnoxious tenacity towards making my point.  I can't seem to help myself on either of these two accounts. 

Those folks who devoted a great deal of time in SL creatively  likely do drift in and out over the years. Probably over time they are more out then in because old friends depart and SL becomes unfamiliar and t's tough to re-capture the past magic.  SL is very "Peter Pan" like in this way.  It seems almost impossible to go back and recreate those early days of having  an almost childlike enthusiasm for the place. And it feels a bit odd to be around newcomers who are currently in that state.  Personally, I spent many years working on my own modest creative projects and as much as I need to take a complete break for long periods of time, I can't resist returning from time to time to check out my old work,  visit my old haunts and generally see what I'm missing.  I assume I'm following a pretty typical pattern.

I forgot completely (!) that I bought a ton of stuff when the Greenies house closed.  I'm going to be digging them out of inventory this weekend.   

22 minutes ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

It seems almost impossible to go back and recreate those early days of having  an almost childlike enthusiasm for the place.

This has proven, for me, to be true. I'm not the quite the same person I was in 2004.

And it feels a bit odd to be around newcomers who are currently in that state

Surely you don't think I'm a newcomer?

Personally, I spent many years working on my own modest creative projects and as much as I need to take a complete break for long periods of time, I can't resist returning from time to time to check out my old work,  visit my old haunts and generally see what I'm missing.  I assume I'm following a pretty typical pattern.

I have done the same. I'm sure others have. I don't know if it is typical or not.

my sincere apologies

All is well that ends well. Apology accepted. Thank you. :)

I'm tempted to log in and hit that MP page I linked. ^_^

Edited by Selene Gregoire

15 hours ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

And my sincere apologies for both my run-on sentences and my obnoxious tenacity towards making my point.  I can't seem to help myself on either of these two accounts. 

It seems almost impossible to go back and recreate those early days of having  an almost childlike enthusiasm for the place. And it feels a bit odd to be around newcomers who are currently in that state. 

Well don't throw out your tendency toward psychological analysis!  It evoked some poetry for me regarding paradise/nirvana/heaven (how one can evoke past or future experiences to explain current realities on both a personal and collective level).

Regarding our early days in SL, I agree, it is probably impossible or at the least very difficult to recapture the 'magic' of the earliest days. But I do feel it again every time I really let myself go and lose myself in a creative project -- that childlike enthusiasm, the wonder, returns and SL is beautiful again  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.