Empty Sims

asvard17

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, asvard17 said:

I have noticed that many of the sims are either empty or those in it are hiding, no chat no rp but they do have a lot of points for donations

There are thousands of sims. All used for different reasons.  Some people landscape a sim and leave it open for people to use and a donation jar so people can leave a thank you if they have enjoyed spending time there.   Did you have a question or a point to actually discuss or just telling us what you have noticed?

• Like 3

If they have a lot of donations, odds are pretty good there are people that visit, you're just not there when they are. There are no "points", I can only guess that you're referring to something that indicates donation amounts. 

Also, not all sims (or even most really) are there for the sole purpose of RP. Even those that are there for this sole purpose, don't always have a lot of visitors on them (or those visitors might be busy in their own rp, so to you they look like they're hiding).

There are loads of places with people, you just have to find them. Open up your map, scroll out, look for green dots. (and before teleporting in, make sure it's somewhere A-you *want to be and B-you're welcome at.  Looking in about and helps). 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Im legit curious as to the type of place you have Phorumities. Idk why but im imagining lots of flags

Its mainly a s e x club, but the main hall is decorated with flags and pictures of the CSA.

Then you can go out and walk across the street to the Abraham Lincoln Memorial.

3 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Its mainly a s e x club, but the main hall is decorated with flags and pictures of the CSA.

Then you can go out and walk across the street to the Abraham Lincoln Memorial.

CSA?. Im British so I dont know what that stands for. I did try looking it up and came across Canada Space Agency and Child Services xDD

35 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Confederate States of America

Okay. As I only have a small amount of knowledge on this subject and I realise i'm probably opening a massive can of worms by asking this BUT....what is it that attracts you to that point in history so much. Not judging you or anything just being British its not often you get chance to ask a question like that over something you dont know a great deal about. I know bits and pieces from various things I have read over the years but has never really been a primary point of research.

38 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Okay. As I only have a small amount of knowledge on this subject and I realise i'm probably opening a massive can of worms by asking this BUT....what is it that attracts you to that point in history so much. Not judging you or anything just being British its not often you get chance to ask a question like that over something you dont know a great deal about. I know bits and pieces from various things I have read over the years but has never really been a primary point of research.

To be honest I've had more than one debate in here over my honoring the efforts of my ancestors to remove their states from the Union, form their own independent nation, and preserve their independence.

It never ends well.

I'm sure others in here will be more than happy to give you their take on it.

Edited by Phorumities
changed words for better accuracy

3 hours ago, asvard17 said:

I have noticed that many of the sims are either empty

You might also have noticed, if you were paying attention, that there are about 24,000 sims, and that at any given time there are between 30,000 and 50,000 accounts online, so that averages at a little under 2 people per sim.

Since many sims in fact have a lot more than 2 people, some will be empty.

or those in it are hiding

Weird isn't it, I mean it's like residential suburbs in RL...

You go to a quiet residential suburban street late at  night and EVERYONE is in their houses, with the doors closed!

Nobody is hanging out in the street, just in case some asshat walks by and wants to chat...

They are NOT hiding, they are minding their own business, in their own homes.

3 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

....[redacted as from the wrong post]...

no chat no rp

Contrary to popular opinion amongst SL's less clued up citizens, most places are NOT chat hangouts or RP venues.

Many people frequently spend HOURS a night NOT roleplaying badly put together 2 dimensional cardboard cutout RP characters...

Go figure

Edited by Klytyna

5 minutes ago, Benjamin Opel said:

There are a few times which are populated with bots, this kinda sucks.. :(

A certain percentage of clubs have bots parked way up in the air. Looks good on the map and in the (Firestorm) viewer search, but when you get there you realize it's just another dead club.

Plus if you rent land on the same sim, they are limiting the number of active people that can come onto your property.

I once ditched a parcel on Zindra because someone that owned a 512 regularly maxxed out sim access with his visitors

• Like 1

Whenever people ask about this kind of thing, this is what I say. I help run a boy scouts roleplay group. There are two subgroups in it which operate at different times. The main group holds weekly events, many of which are hikes to other sims. I hold twice monthly events that focus on different kinds of activities like campfire stories or craft building. If the main group is going on a hike, they might only be at our sim for 30 minutes to coordinate what's going on. Add in my group, and we might only have a few hours worth of events in a given month, yet we have hundreds of members and regularly get dozens of attendees in the main group and a rotating group of about 15 people in mine. If you came to our group's sim at any other time, even missing us by 1 minute, you would never know that we are as active as we are.

Now scale that example up to every single sim in SL. Yes, a lot of places look empty. That's because no one is there right now, but that doesn't mean it's abandoned. If you show up to a dance club after hours, you might never know that they just ran a 24 hour long event. If you show up at a roleplay sim in the middle of the night (what I do because of my timezone), most people are going to be sleeping, so of course it's going to look empty. If you walk downtown in some real world cities at night, you'd never know that millions of people could be living there. Just because a sim looks empty during the infinitesimally small amount of time you are there doesn't mean it's a ghost town, especially considering how expensive it is to rent that kind of land. People don't run sims for long if they don't get used.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 9:34 PM, Phorumities said:

A certain percentage of clubs have bots parked way up in the air. Looks good on the map and in the (Firestorm) viewer search, but when you get there you realize it's just another dead club.

Plus if you rent land on the same sim, they are limiting the number of active people that can come onto your property.

I once ditched a parcel on Zindra because someone that owned a 512 regularly maxxed out sim access with his visitors

What is the purpose of bots.. I just honestly do not see the point, it's an online virtual world, surely everyone you meet should be *real*.

Two things I REALLY miss about the old SL - surnames, I do understand they're coming back, which is great.

The obvious one is no bots... lol.

11 minutes ago, Benjamin Opel said:

Two things I REALLY miss about the old SL - surnames, I do understand they're coming back

Only for people so desperate for that "proper last name" snob privilege, that they are willing to pay for Entitlement Club membership AND fork out an additional fee on top...

So most new accounts will continue to be "Residents".

13 minutes ago, Benjamin Opel said:

What is the purpose of bots.. I just honestly do not see the point,

Running a bot to stand on a poseball in your store wearing your clothes is cheaper than paying L$ to somebody to park their avatar there while afk?

14 minutes ago, Benjamin Opel said:

it's an online virtual world, surely everyone you meet should be *real*.

Hell, have the avatars you meet run by humans are not "real" in any meaningful sense of the word, because they are sfk, or don't speak a word of your language, or have no interest in you, or can't see you because of their jellydoll settings, or don't pay attention to local chat and can't be im'd by non friends, or whatever.

11 minutes ago, Benjamin Opel said:

What is the purpose of bots.. I just honestly do not see the point, it's an online virtual world, surely everyone you meet should be *real*.

Bots can serve useful purposes:

1. As shop greeters  (think Wal-Mart in world).

2. As animated mannequins in clothing shops.

3. As Non Player Characters (NPCs)

4. As land survey units (see Statistics at http://gridsurvey.com/ , all gathered by bots)

5. As security "orb" systems

For many of those purposes, you could use pathfinding characters instead, but bots can do more sophisticated things as well.  And some dumb things, just like the rest of us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

Only for people so desperate for that "proper last name" snob privilege, that they are willing to pay for Entitlement Club membership AND fork out an additional fee on top...

So most new accounts will continue to be "Residents".

Are we sure that's how it's going to work? It was my impression that the fee would only apply to name changes, and that new accounts will choose from the pool of last names without paying extra. I'm not sure "Resident" will even be among the available choices.

19 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Are we sure that's how it's going to work? It was my impression that the fee would only apply to name changes, and that new accounts will choose from the pool of last names without paying extra. I'm not sure "Resident" will even be among the available choices.

Did you read ANY of the threads about the return of Lastnames? 

You pick your new user name when you create your account, it adds Resident on the end, then you join Entitlement Club, then you CHANGE your name to whatever for a fee, that's the system they have described, only thing that hasn't been made clear yet is how much the fee will be, just that it's probably going to be a US$ fee, and only for Entitlement Club members.

You won't GET a choice of last name unless you are Entitlement Club and pay the fee, non entitlement club accounts will still be created as "Residents", unless theres been some new (last month or so) unannounced change in the plans, available only on some blog of a friend of some Linden.

9 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

You pick your new user name when you create your account, it adds Resident on the end, then you join Entitlement Club, then you CHANGE your name to whatever for a fee, that's the system they have described, only thing that hasn't been made clear yet is how much the fee will be, just that it's probably going to be a US$ fee, and only for Entitlement Club members.

You won't GET a choice of last name unless you are Entitlement Club and pay the fee, non entitlement club accounts will still be created as "Residents", unless theres been some new (last month or so) unannounced change in the plans, available only on some blog of a friend of some Linden.

and even then you wont get to choose a lastname merely get to pick from a preselected list

5 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Of course not. I have all the names I need. I'm just surprised they're wanting to maintain the clunky Resident-naming mechanism in addition to the new-again one.

The only part I did pay attention to was that new last names will again be selected from pre-approved tokens, not coined by the account holder. Speaking of which, today I learned a new Québécois word:

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.