I Have Cut My Time in SL In Half

Telehub Ross

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

35 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Lol but it’s not a derail, comparing different Wi-Fi qualities is directly related to the error being discussed. If venerated Prokofy only gets the error at home, and not on Amtrak, then it means WiFi problems at home.

I just was just triggered by "Amtrak" and how Prokofy reacts to the suggestions given until now.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 3:06 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is not a good idea for the average home user to disable Windows updates unless they really know what they are doing.  For Windows 10, it is an extremely complicated process.

Average home user here cured all Win 10 problems with one fell swoop. Went back to 7 for win. And I liked 10.

MTtP also had a few issues with official viewer, cured as I let it update at will. There again, sing mostly and official for UL mostly. YKMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikka Luik said:

Average home user here cured all Win 10 problems with one fell swoop. Went back to 7 for win.

47 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I considered it, many times

I turned down the offered "free upgrade" to Windon't 10...

I just love sitting on my copy of Windon't 7 watching W10 users complain about the adspam-malware-OS's inability to run Windon't compatible software without constantly demanding that you upgrade things for which there is no upgrade...

Best cure for W10 problems ever... W7!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Lol but it’s not a derail, comparing different Wi-Fi qualities is directly related to the error being discussed. If venerated Prokofy only gets the error at home, and not on Amtrak, then it means WiFi problems at home.

lol, yes, this ^

Anyone that rides Amtrak regularly knows the network issues that plague it. We've settled in to a routine, we've accepted the limitations, and many of us can even tell you *where it gets wonky ;) Much of northern Indiana is particularly troublesome, for example, lol, even if you're on an overnight trip and network congestion should be at its lowest.  Back up and save everything as you go is a mantra, for good reason. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, Luna Bliss said:

but if you have not disabled updates it might be good to do so. I'm sure someone can post the procedure for disabling them.

It is not a good idea for the average home user to disable Windows updates unless they really know what they are doing.  For Windows 10, it is an extremely complicated process.

The tech person who repaired my laptop & desktop showed me how to do it! Just search for 'update', and under 'advanced options' make sure the top 3 choices are set to 'off'.  That first choice is tricky....if something else updates then Windows would auto-update too...that's the one I had not turned to 'off'.

Fingers crossed this works...we'll see when something else needs updating...my fear is that other things might not update unless that's set to 'on'.

BTW, that damm windows update stripped off all the files on my laptop! And Windows has to be reinstalled. Luckily I didn't have too many files on it, mostly VR games.

30 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The tech person who repaired my laptop & desktop showed me how to do it! Just search for 'update', and under 'advanced options' make sure the top 3 choices are set to 'off'.  That first choice is tricky....if something else updates then Windows would auto-update too...that's the one I had not turned to 'off'.

Fingers crossed this works...we'll see when something else needs updating...my fear is that other things might not update unless that's set to 'on'.

BTW, that damm windows update stripped off all the files on my laptop! And Windows has to be reinstalled. Luckily I didn't have too many files on it, mostly VR games.

Keep the bottom option ticked 'Yes' -- that way you'll at least get a notification if something does manage to update and wants to restart the computer.

I've had the top two turned off for ages, but the stupid thing still sometimes updates (though best I can tell, not near as often as others get updates).  I currently have an update that somehow happened and hit the 'restart' point, but since I've disabled the auto-restarts, it is just telling me that I need to restart.  If nothing else, it gives me time to do searches on those updates to see if they are possibly going to break stuff.

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've had the top two turned off for ages, but the stupid thing still sometimes updates

noooooooooooo :(

I may need to call Ribbit and get more info. It was strange, the guy who came to my house said he doesn't get many update problems, yet searching the internet (at Microsoft) it's filled with people who've gone through hell with the last 2 updates..

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 8:16 AM, Resi Pfeffer said:

I just was just triggered by "Amtrak" and how Prokofy reacts to the suggestions given until now.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:39 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Um, no, but A for effort. 

On Amtrak, I'm using a laptop for work and I am NOT playing SL and don't even have SL loaded -- SL doesn't play well on many laptops although sometimes you can do a little with it.

10 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Um, no, but A for effort. 

On Amtrak, I'm using a laptop for work and I am NOT playing SL and don't even have SL loaded -- SL doesn't play well on many laptops although sometimes you can do a little with it.

Um..I swear you said you didn’t have WiFi problems on Amtrak, which I justifiably assumed you meant, you ran SL on Amtrak. Otherwise, how the heck did Amtrak come up in the first place?!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Um..I swear you said you didn’t have WiFi problems on Amtrak, which I justifiably assumed you meant, you ran SL on Amtrak. Otherwise, how the heck did Amtrak come up in the first place?!

My bad, that was me, but I actually WAS speaking of sl, and Prok made it seem like...well, never mind, lol.

I can play sl just peachy keen on my laptop, most places, barring connection issues . That is what drew Amtrak to the conversation, because poor network connections can cause the specific error listed (and a host of other network errors you won't actually see, because there is no warning message for them).

SL on Amtrak's wifi is funny as hell, though, *because the network is so congested on the trains a lot of the time (not all, but most certainly, a lot). I've managed a few times, to stay successfully logged in for more than a couple hours, but, it's dicey and I know I'm taking a chance in even attempting to doing so. I'm reasonable, though ;)

It was a roundabout way of showing that network connection issues-primarily wifi, but not exclusively, can cause a myriad of issues.  Being hell bent on only using wifi for everything, one is bound to run into issues, eventually. If that's the only connection someone has, then so be it, but that person cannot then go and say "it can't be my connection, it never has before"..when, that's just a flat out lie (the error specifically points out network issue, lol). I suppose one must first know, and accept, the very real fact that there is a huge difference between a wired network connection, and a wireless one. Some folks can't..won't...whatever. It is, what it is. 

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

All the time. It doesn't make any difference. That's one of those urban myths.

Too bad that like your computer, unplugging SL and replugging it doesn't make it work better.

Neither does clearing cache too often. In fact, clearing cache can contribute to the current issue or make it worse. 

Constantly clearing cache is the urban myth, not the other way around. But I'm sure you will find some excuse reason to both dispute it and not believe it. From reading your responses to every thing anyone has said or suggested, I'm led to believe you don't really either need help or want it.

Some people just are not happy unless they have something to gripe about. You've fallen into that category whether you intended to or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Would a computer getting older affect how well wireless works, or are the two not connected at all?

It can, in the same sense that anything at all can have difficulties on/with an older machine (or, older parts, anyway). As things age they stop being updated, supported, and generally functioning how they once did with other components (usually because those other components have since moved on, upgraded, updated, etc..). That's the biggest hurdle we have to face when we use old(er) technology, incompatibility, well, over time anyway. Network adapters, for instance, without the proper driver can cause problems. 

(and before anyone thinks it....I'm not saying the issue here has to do with outdated anything, lol...just answering a question)

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Would a computer getting older affect how well wireless works, or are the two not connected at all?

What generally "ages" first for wifi is spectrum: especially in urban settings, the number of 802.11mumble radios per cubic meter is ballooning every year. Most recently, all those "smart home" gadgets the neighbors bought, combined with all their other distributed streaming video devices, are making routers obsolete as fast as replacements can be installed -- and yet carriers never voluntarily upgrade routers they supplied years ago.

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Constantly clearing cache is the urban myth, not the other way around.

It really goes both ways. There is another myth that the SL cache is super valuable and never gets corrupted. That's wrong on both counts, and it's especially wrong when there are also network problems. For me, any serious debugging effort needs to begin with a cleared cache -- not because that's expected to fix the problem, but rather to expose the real problem. Given a content-sparse place to rez-in, it's painless and quick.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

All the time. It doesn't make any difference. That's one of those urban myths.

Too bad that like your computer, unplugging SL and replugging it doesn't make it work better.

That's not why I asked Prok. I'll upload the two pieces I thought might relate as a screen shot:

1443936173_ScreenShot2018-11-24at10_01_23.thumb.png.eaa62d9db271971762c2abf911743881.png

Clearing cache makes things reload from scratch. That's why it *can* be useful for troubleshooting and will sometimes clear up problems on its own. Emphasis on can.

But if the problem comes from how slow the data is coming in, clearing cache (and forcing all those textures to reload from scratch) will increase rather than fix the problem.

Much of what you've written suggests it's the latter situation, in which case clearing cache frequently will contribute to the difficulties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:
13 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

What generally "ages" first for wifi is spectrum: especially in urban settings, the number of 802.11mumble radios per cubic meter is ballooning every year. Most recently, all those "smart home" gadgets the neighbors bought, combined with all their other distributed streaming video devices, are making routers obsolete as fast as replacements can be installed -- and yet carriers never voluntarily upgrade routers they supplied years ago.

Thanks for that info. I will be a nerd in no time if I keep asking questions :)

11 hours ago, Tari Landar said:
13 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

It can, in the same sense that anything at all can have difficulties on/with an older machine (or, older parts, anyway). As things age they stop being updated, supported, and generally functioning how they once did with other components (usually because those other components have since moved on, upgraded, updated, etc..). That's the biggest hurdle we have to face when we use old(er) technology, incompatibility, well, over time anyway. Network adapters, for instance, without the proper driver can cause problems. 

(and before anyone thinks it....I'm not saying the issue here has to do with outdated anything, lol...just answering a question)

Are we not supposed to say that somebody has a computer 10 years old that is trying to access SL with wireless?  lol

BTW, I got a new video card and I can't believe how well SL runs now!  Before, I had to keep graphics set on low, and my distance set at 32 inworld, or else my PC sounded like it was going to explode with the fan running so hard.

Now...my graphics are on High and the fan doesn't run at all.

47 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Are we not supposed to say that somebody has a computer 10 years old that is trying to access SL with wireless?  lol

Lol, it probably depends more on who that somebody actually is ;) 

But, really, there are things people can do to ensure their old(er) technology can still keep up as much as possible.  That said, good luck explaining that to anyone in sl, lol, you'll get a lot of "I don't want to buy a brand new machine just for sl", "my super old computer plays sl just fine", "it worked fine before", and other such answers, should you suggest that age and/or functionality of some very basic(but absolutely necessary) components, may be a contributing factor to whatever issue is plaguing them. 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.