I Have Cut My Time in SL In Half

Telehub Ross

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, rasterscan said:

Burnt out ? I'm kiddin' Selene :D Firestorms awesome and given its still free makes it double awesome.

More than once. But I was gone from SL for 4 years. They do remove you from the group if you don't log in and help after a certain amount of time. The one place they do not remove your name from is the credits in the viewer under the Help menu.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 5:55 PM, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Shrugs. Not much point in saying anything more I guess then, is there? Good luck with fixing this Prok.

I'm sorry you were forced to give me your house in a contest I won, Bitsy, but that was outside of my control. But you're welcome to block me from ever purchasing any creation of yours, as some merchants do who don't like my blog. I think that's an insane practice and terrible precedent for the wider Metaverse, but it may give you the sense of justice you crave. 

Qie made this excellent point: "Anyway, it's far from the most radical superstitions that value a super-sized cache like the crown jewels. That's the mythos to which I object, as much as that of frequent, hygienic cache-clearing."

Believe it or not, there is a mythos also attached to "not clearing your cache too much" as you've demonstrated. But I assure all of you that too much or too little, it doesn't matter. It doesn't affect grey squares. Grey squares come from the Lindens, and they admit it.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects:
"Enabling this on modern hardware gives a performance gain. However older hardware often has poor implementations of VBOs and you may get crashes when this is enabled."

Streamed VBOs:
"Disabling this may improve performance when VBOs are enabled. Disabling produced observable improvement on various AMD and Intel GPUs."

That's nice. Let me suggest "hardware" that is only 18 months old is not "older hardware". Also disabling OpenGL did absolutely nothing.

• Haha 1

.... VBO is an OpenGL function, not the entirety of OpenGL.

If you really want to try disabling OpenGL in your chosen Second Life client, you'll have to shut off rendering of everything as every client out there bloody uses OpenGL as the renderer .....

Oh and it does not matter when you bought your computer - older hardware is older hardware is older hardware. You may have bought the machine eighteen months ago but the parts inside are not eighteen months old. Heck they weren't even "new" when whatever machine you bought was assembled.

Edited by Solar Legion

16 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I'm sorry you were forced to give me your house in a contest I won, Bitsy, but that was outside of my control. But you're welcome to block me from ever purchasing any creation of yours, as some merchants do who don't like my blog. I think that's an insane practice and terrible precedent for the wider Metaverse, but it may give you the sense of justice you crave.

Where on earth does this come from Prok? It certainly does not come from me nor does it reflect a single thing in my thinking or attitude.

When you lost all of that furniture, I remembered you had bought some things from me, small purchases mostly, and went through my records to send you new copies. I didn't know if you used them much but it was what I could do to lighten your loss and I had hoped a small act of kindness might help. That accurately reflects my thinking and attitude.

It's up to you now to choose which to see, who I really am or the character you've created for me in your mind.

Good luck with fixing your problems, Prok. I mean that sincerely.

• Like 5

On 11/14/2018 at 9:42 AM, Alyona Su said:

Oooh, goody! Another rant thread! (Happy to know you're still alive and kicking, Prok!)

We all know that Windows eats itself slowly over time. It's probably time to wipe everything out and reinstall fresh - not the viewer, but MS Windows itself. It's amazing what an across-the-board performance boost one gets when they do that.

Every time I see when someone mentions, complains, rants about how "broken" SL is, it often has to do with "Have graphics at max and no I won't change them" then "I use X viewer and refuse to even try any other" then it's... well, name just about anything they are too stubborn to do differently. A.K.A. Insanity. ~laughs~ BUT, OP is saying they have tried minimum graphics, minimum settings, etc. Well, then it sounds like it's not an SL viewer issue then, does it?

I love it when the Greater-Than-Thou uber-nerd types who love to proclaim how they can run ten copies of the viewer simultaneously without so much as a hiccup in frame rates feel the constant urge to let us all know it. Congratulations and good for you, but how does beating your chest in superiority proclaiming your computer is Uber-God in any way helpful or useful to anyone else? Just asking. But it's okay, as long as you feel superior to everyone else.

Hey, Prok: Reinstall your entire system, then install LL viewer, go with the defaults in settings. All functions and tools won't be affected. If that doesn't work then it may be time to upgrade that ten-year-old machine you're using. Otherwise: good luck with that.

I call BS. I am running Firestorm and the LL viewer on a one-week-old Windows 10 Pro machine with only a few apps installed. It has a Geforce 2080 Ti Graphics card, an AMD Ryzen 2950X CPU, and 128 GB RAM, and has a wired Ethernet connection. My viewers are installed on a 64 GB Ramdrive along with the caches; I tested my connection, and it's over 70 Mbps up and down. Nevertheless, SL is really slow to load tonight. I don't see anything like as bad as what Prok describes, but it's still quite unsatisfactory. The stats bar said my data received rate was less than 100 Kbps tonight while I waited and watched a lot of gray. I have done all that I can to improve my SL experience. I bought a really good PC; I got a really fast Internet connection; I've even put all SL program and data files that I reasonably can on a RAMDrive (a lot of files are not on it because there is no easy way for me to relocate them from C:\Users\Jennifer|Appdata\Roaming, but they, as well as the operating system,  are on a fast SSD) and, still, SL is slow to load content. Oh, and yes, I do run with graphics set to the maximum settings; if I can't do it on this PC, then the maximum settings are unrealistically high. and essentially no one can use them. Maybe I need two or three 2080 Ti's to use them? Is that my problem?

Edited by Jennifer Boyle
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2018 at 8:38 PM, Qie Niangao said:

They thought of eleven solutions to list ahead of:

Solution 12 – Don’t use both Ethernet and Wi-Fi on a single device

According to users, A network change was detected error can appear if you’re using both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection on your PC at the same time. This can lead to other issues besides this one, and in order to fix the problem, it’s advised to use just Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Simply disable one network on your PC, and the problem should be completely resolved.

Maybe that's my problem? I have a wired connection because I want the most reliable, fastest connection. I have WiFi on because I want Miracast to work. Should I really expect to turn the WEiFi on and off according to what I'm doing?

Edited by Jennifer Boyle

2 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Maybe that's my problem? I have a wired connection because I want the most reliable, fastest connection. I have WiFi on because I want Miracast to work. Should I really expect to turn the WEiFi on and off according to what I'm doing?

And you're getting network-change errors? Hmm. I've never actually used Miracast, but I thought it would just ride the PC's wired connection to the router, and the router's WiFi connection to the wireless display(s). I wonder which part of this topology I'm getting wrong.

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

And you're getting network-change errors? Hmm. I've never actually used Miracast, but I thought it would just ride the PC's wired connection to the router, and the router's WiFi connection to the wireless display(s). I wonder which part of this topology I'm getting wrong.

Miracast and similar can operate in any number of ways. Some do require a direct WIFi connection.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

That's nice. Let me suggest "hardware" that is only 18 months old is not "older hardware". Also disabling OpenGL did absolutely nothing.

(By the way, you cannot disable OpenGL totally, you can only disable some features of it. SL needs OpenGL to run.)

There is no general rule which settings will work the best in any computer. So the only way to find out is to try different settings.

For example with my computer (which is six years old):
1. When both OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects and Streamed VBOs are disabled I get slowest performance.
2. When both OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects and Streamed VBOs are enabled I get much better performance.
3. When OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects is enabled and Streamed VBOs is disabled I get the best performance.

• Thanks 2

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

If they didn't understood, but obviously they have to do many things to prepare to move to the cloud. If they didn't physically do this yet, *those things* may account for worse performance.

It would be interesting to know just what they're doing in preparation for this. I have no idea. I just assume what they said in the video is true -- that they have not moved to the cloud. They also stated it would not be the reason for degraded performance as some have assumed (I guess others have wondered about this?)

BTW, the problems with a few sculpts never rezzing correctly that I mentioned earlier on this thread are fixed. No need to redo tons of skyboxes and assembled gardens. Upgrading Firestorm to the newest version was the trick (I had put off doing that for awhile).

Strangely, I could apply a new sculpt texture to the prim even on the old Firestorm version and this would fix it. What this means, I have no idea.

Edited by Luna Bliss

8 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I call BS. I am running Firestorm and the LL viewer on a one-week-old Windows 10 Pro machine with only a few apps installed. It has a Geforce 2080 Ti Graphics card, an AMD Ryzen 2950X CPU, and 128 GB RAM, and has a wired Ethernet connection. My viewers are installed on a 64 GB Ramdrive along with the caches; I tested my connection, and it's over 70 Mbps up and down. Nevertheless, SL is really slow to load tonight. I don't see anything like as bad as what Prok describes, but it's still quite unsatisfactory. The stats bar said my data received rate was less than 100 Kbps tonight while I waited and watched a lot of gray. I have done all that I can to improve my SL experience. I bought a really good PC; I got a really fast Internet connection; I've even put all SL program and data files that I reasonably can on a RAMDrive (a lot of files are not on it because there is no easy way for me to relocate them from C:\Users\Jennifer|Appdata\Roaming, but they, as well as the operating system,  are on a fast SSD) and, still, SL is slow to load content. Oh, and yes, I do run with graphics set to the maximum settings; if I can't do it on this PC, then the maximum settings are unrealistically high. and essentially no one can use them. Maybe I need two or three 2080 Ti's to use them? Is that my problem?

Just for comparison:

ASUS M51BC Series
Windows 10 Home 64bit
AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor, 3.3 GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM 24 GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 OC 2GB

I get right at 100 Mbps on FiOS and I also run FS. My drive is not partitioned. My graphics are still set at half way between High and Ultra, which is where FS defaulted it. I have yet to see any gray and SL loads very quickly most of the time.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It would be interesting to know just what they're doing in preparation for this. I have no idea. I just assume what they said in the video is true -- that they have not moved to the cloud. They also stated it would not be the reason for degraded performance as some have assumed (I guess others have wondered about this?)

I assume moving to the cloud involves some humongous packaging annoyance.

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

BTW, the problems with a few sculpts never rezzing correctly that I mentioned earlier on this thread are fixed.

I have sculpted Hibiscus flower which refuse to rez right. It's totally broken. I have seen it only two times in its correct shape. Now its always broken. Created August 2010.

Broken-Hibiscus.png.3d0e37c695cd7f503819ec6ce9801f0d.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

BTW, the problems with a few sculpts never rezzing correctly that I mentioned earlier on this thread are fixed.

I have sculpted Hibiscus flower which refuse to rez right. It's totally broken. I have seen it only two times in its correct shape. Now its always broken. Created August 2010.

Did you create it and so have the ability to upload a new sculpt texture? That fixed my recent sculpt problems.

However with an older sculpt the sculpt texture got deleted from the data base permanently, making blobs in all my skyboxes and assembled gardens that can't be remedied without fixing and reboxing them all.  In one fantasy garden a customer wondered if it was some odd, blob-like fantasy element...lol...so at least in that garden it wasn't such a problem!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.