Last names coming back

MintPanther

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:18 AM, Coby Foden said:

I have my doubts will the last names / name changing thing bring any really meaning additional income for Linden Lab?
And will it bring any meaningful number of additional premium members to SL?

This is one more bad decision to the collection of bad decisions they have made over the years. :(

(Surely Linden Lab have made many excellent decisions too. Thank you for them! ?)

Having first and last names was a feature of SL years back. That is how I got my name, Nalates Urriah.

New residents have been requesting last names. Existing residents have been requesting the ability to change names. An attempt to meet customer demand came with Display Names. That only sort of worked but still the requests for last names and changeability continued.

The Lab is now adding the feature to meet customer demand. Giving customers what they ask for is seldom if ever considered a bad decision.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Klytyna said:

At a guess, because at any given time there were more than 3 last names on the list to choose from.

Many humans have problems when offered more than 3 choices, their brains sort of stall...

This seems also to be tied into why a certain well known political psychological speech trick works...

"Not [thing 1] , not [thing 2] , but [thing 3]!" *thunderous applause from the party supporters at the conference*

Thatcher used to use this trick, a lot of politicians do, or rather their speech writers do...

Or like me they would have seen the choices of name they were offered and gone really? No thanks none of those appeal and walked away.

I still say the best solution is to remove the display of account names all together and just leave display names visible. It not only gives everyone the name they want but adds security by not providing half of the information someone needs to get into your account

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Having first and last names was a feature of SL years back. That is how I got my name, Nalates Urriah.

New residents have been requesting last names. Existing residents have been requesting the ability to change names. An attempt to meet customer demand came with Display Names. That only sort of worked but still the requests for last names and changeability continued.

The Lab is now adding the feature to meet customer demand. Giving customers what they ask for is seldom if ever considered a bad decision.

I really liked the original first names / last names thing (that's how I got my name too). It was excellent system, it was great way to make good name.
Display names were a disaster, totally unneeded feature. Just need to look at how vast number of people abuse them with crazy unreadable characters. Bad decision.

Now new users still have single name when they create account. The flood of silly single names will continue for ever and ever. Bad decision.
Of course they can change their name if they want to by becoming premium members and paying for the name change. Paying for virtual avatar's name? Umm... bad.
(It's good for the Lab if the name changes will actually bring significant additional income. But I have my doubts - will it?)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

I still say the best solution is to remove the display of account names all together and just leave display names visible. It not only gives everyone the name they want but adds security by not providing half of the information someone needs to get into your account

Cats out of the bag on that one as LSL can get it, as can all the databases for Key2Name/Name2Key. And sadly, we will always have people who desire fancy but unreadable names with a lot of curlicues.

Into that pile I will also throw weabo English speakers with full or partial Japanese names, spelled out in plain Hiragana no less, as opposed to others who are really Asian.

Locking displays to a Latin character set might help, and hiding the account name still even though it's still grabbable in scripts. With a locked character set it would be desirable to include the accented characters from Germany/France/Spain *only*. (English speaking club hosts will still mess up ß into a b though )

Edited by Callum Meriman

12 hours ago, Phorumities said:

I see thousands of people with a first name starting with a lower case letter, and i just shake my head.

When i created my original account i never considered for even a fraction of a second not starting my name with a capital letter. Then I added a capital in the middle to give the impression that my first name was in fact two names.

Another thing i can't understand is people that have a display name that is identical to their account name. Are they jealous that people with display names have two lines and they only one?

Its even funnier when their display name also doesn't start with a capital.

Its annoying, all of my alts all have capital letters in their first name. I can only put it down to "hasty first account creation typo" xD

14 hours ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Its annoying, all of my alts all have capital letters in their first name. I can only put it down to "hasty first account creation typo" xD

I put it down to "just way too F'ing lazy".

It's pretty clear when creating your account that the name you enter is what is seen by everyone.

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

I put it down to "just way too F'ing lazy".

It's pretty clear when creating your account that the name you enter is what is seen by everyone.

Your going back nearly 12 years and no thats not the most obvious thing. I had no idea what SL even was until someone told me about this online world where people create all these amazing things. I just entered a name and clicked next without even thinking about putting a capital. BUT, that will soon change!. A capital shall be had!

23 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

Or like me they would have seen the choices of name they were offered and gone really? No thanks none of those appeal and walked away.

Wow being able to hide account names? Thats every griefers dream isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Your going back nearly 12 years and no thats not the most obvious thing. I had no idea what SL even was until someone told me about this online world where people create all these amazing things. I just entered a name and clicked next without even thinking about putting a capital. BUT, that will soon change!. A capital shall be had!

"Your failure to actually read the descriptions to web form fields and just skip over things and just clicking the "go" button  is no one's problem but..."

I digress. :) 

EDIT TO ADD: "General "you" here, folks - I know it looks like it's directly aimed at Chibiusa, but that's not my intent. I'm not changing it now because someone could be quoting this comment right now as I write this then I'd look like a backpeddler and I always stand by my words. :P So I did add "quote marks" just now. The following is directed to the quoted comment above:

Of course, once you've realized that what you typed actually IS what everyone sees, you could have abandoned that account and immediately created a new one (if the lowercase name bothered) - which, apparently, wasn't the case for you. :) Just saying. 

Edited by Alyona Su

48 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Wow being able to hide account names? Thats every griefers dream isn't it?

Giving everyone access to your login id, thats a hackers dream. Griefing is easier to deal with than being hacked

1 hour ago, KanryDrago said:

Giving everyone access to your login id, thats a hackers dream. Griefing is easier to deal with than being hacked

SO they have your user name. Then they have 3 tries to correctly guess your password before they are locked out. What's the big deal about that?

10 hours ago, Phorumities said:

SO they have your user name. Then they have 3 tries to correctly guess your password before they are locked out. What's the big deal about that?

it depends on how patient the hacker is and how important the target is to the hacker. The more important the target then the more patient is the hacker

14 hours ago, Phorumities said:

3 hours ago, ellestones said:

it depends on how patient the hacker is and how important the target is to the hacker. The more important the target then the more patient is the hacker

But having an account locked because of failed password is a red flag, and having it happen again is a Huge Red Flag.

Harden your password, the Lab is now aware of what is happening.

But that Griefer can be a problem for weeks and weeks with different accounts, hiding account names is a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Teagan Tobias said:

But having an account locked because of failed password is a red flag, and having it happen again is a Huge Red Flag.

Harden your password, the Lab is now aware of what is happening.

But that Griefer can be a problem for weeks and weeks with different accounts, hiding account names is a bad idea.

This was brought up in another thread, but I always set the absolute minimum required for a password, in this case 6 letters, so there are "only" 308,915,776 combinations.

Hell will freeze over before a hacker figures out my password.

Phishing sites are the big weakness, and keystroke monitors if you download one from a malicious site.

A hacker trying to guess your RANDOM password cold will NEVER do it.

So make your password as long as you want, put in numbers, caps and special charactors, at the end of the day, my password is just as secure as yours 

Edited by Phorumities

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.