Last names coming back

MintPanther

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

Giving everyone access to your login id, thats a hackers dream. Griefing is easier to deal with than being hacked

I gave this some more thought and I'm thinking what you said has some merit. If you wanted to grief someone then what would be easier than entering someones account name and then entering random letters for the password until the account gets locked?

And with no ones account name being displayed, everyone is free to create the display name they desire. Lastnamers and Residents could truly achieve equality at last.

Maybe after that we can battle the rampant prejudice against furries.

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

This was brought up in another thread, but I always set the absolute minimum required for a password, in this case 6 letters, so there are "only" 308,915,776 combinations.

Hell will freeze over before a hacker figures out my password.

Phishing sites are the big weakness, and keystroke monitors if you download one from a malicious site.

A hacker trying to guess your RANDOM password cold will NEVER do it.

So make your password as long as you want, put in numbers, caps and special charactors, at the end of the day, my password is just as secure as yours 

Yes, yes, this. It doesn't even have to be complicated. I always use full names of relatives and a related date. So my passwords often look like this:

Jane.Doe.Dolittle!1995.12.01

Long enough to make it harder to break and easy enough to remember. :D

Passwords don't have to be that hard to be secure enough for most places. My bank password is a bit more complicated, it's kind of like SJzh!734nnbjk%hs#30.GvD LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 3:12 AM, KanryDrago said:

Or like me they would have seen the choices of name they were offered and gone really? No thanks none of those appeal and walked away.

I still say the best solution is to remove the display of account names all together and just leave display names visible. It not only gives everyone the name they want but adds security by not providing half of the information someone needs to get into your account

If this was a problem, it would have been a problem already. SL is 15 years old. Someone would have miraculously hacked someone's account using the login name by now.

Also, welcome to every website in the internet. Reddit? Visible username. Any web forum? Visible username. Wikipedia? Visible username. Steam? Visible username. Amazon? Visible username. PayPal? Visible username. If having visible usernames was a problem, someone would have solved that a long time ago.

Stop trying to start a panic and look for problems where there are none.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2018 at 11:12 AM, KanryDrago said:

Or like me they would have seen the choices of name they were offered and gone really? No thanks none of those appeal and walked away.

I still say the best solution is to remove the display of account names all together and just leave display names visible. It not only gives everyone the name they want but adds security by not providing half of the information someone needs to get into your account

Except there's many old scripts that still rely on the system names.

19 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Except there's many old scripts that still rely on the system names.

Whoops - clickied the wrong quote :)

On 10/15/2018 at 11:12 AM,  KanryDrago said: 

The question then becomes: how will you know you are giving money to the right person when buying something? And old scammer trick is to put an invisible prim in front of vendors so you are paying the wrong person and never receive what you bought. At least now the payment dialog says exactly who you're paying. But if anyone can change their name willy-nilly and you cannot see their account name, then what?

Edited by Alyona Su

As I recall, one of the main reasons for eliminating last names was to make it easier for facebook and other social media users to sign up for SL. (The reasoning being that choosing 2 names was too complex and unfamiliar for those users and therefore a barrier to sign-ups).

Such were the dreams of the LL board at the time. 'Resident' had to be added so as not to break existing content/scripts.

Unfortunately the decision took away something that was uniquely SL. Unlike other games and platforms, there could be more than one Roxy, for example, while still having a unique identifier (there is only one Roxy Couturier). With 'Resident' as a last name, there will ever only be one Roxy. So I'm happy to see the return of last names. It was part of the original charm of SL.

On 10/17/2018 at 6:53 AM, Phorumities said:

This was brought up in another thread, but I always set the absolute minimum required for a password, in this case 6 letters, so there are "only" 308,915,776 combinations.

Hell will freeze over before a hacker figures out my password.

Phishing sites are the big weakness, and keystroke monitors if you download one from a malicious site.

A hacker trying to guess your RANDOM password cold will NEVER do it.

So make your password as long as you want, put in numbers, caps and special charactors, at the end of the day, my password is just as secure as yours 

I used to think that until my WoW account got hacked a decade or so back. Now my passwords are sufficiently randomly long with special characters.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:25 PM, Alyona Su said:

I put it down to "just way too F'ing lazy".

It's pretty clear when creating your account that the name you enter is what is seen by everyone.

No it's not clear at all. The fact that, when signing up, there is no indication that the username you choose will be your avatar's name was discussed recently, and nobody said anything different. Also, someone posted an image of the new sign-up form and that also didn't say that your username will be your avatar's name. There was no indication 12 years ago, there is no indication now, and it looks like there are no plans to make it clear in the future.

So I don't put it down to "just way too F'ing lazy". I put it down to "just way too F'ing unclear".

Edited by Phil Deakins

1 hour ago, Roxy Couturier said:

As I recall, one of the main reasons for eliminating last names was to make it easier for facebook and other social media users to sign up for SL. (The reasoning being that choosing 2 names was too complex and unfamiliar for those users and therefore a barrier to sign-ups).

I started a post about Facebook being the reason, but then I remembered that Facebook was discussed as being the reason for display names, and not for getting rid of last names. From what I understood, Facebook required real names. I remember Facebook having a purge on accounts that were not real names, and the accounts of many SL usernames were removed. With display names SL users could use their real names here, use their real names with Facebook, and the two would look the same.

I don't remember a reason why last names were got rid of, but I'm pretty sure it was nothing to do with Facebook.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

No it's not clear at all. The fact that, when signing up, there is no indication that the username you choose will be your avatar's name was discussed recently, and nobody said anything different. Also, someone posted an image of the new sign-up form and that also didn't say that your username will be your avatar's name. There was no indication 12 years ago, there is no indication now, and it looks like there are no plans to make it clear in the future.

So I don't put it down to "just way too F'ing lazy". I put it down to "just way too F'ing unclear".

I'm pretty sure it said "pick a first name for your avatar" when I signed up years ago when you still got to chose a last name from a list.

Seems to me picking a first name for your avatar and then picking a last name from a list would mean that is your name and that is the name everyone will see.

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

I started a post about Facebook being the reason, but then I remembered that Facebook was discussed as being the reason for display names, and not for getting rid of last names. From what I understood, Facebook required real names. I remember Facebook having a purge on accounts that were not real names, and the accounts of many SL usernames were removed. With display names SL users could use their real names here, use their real names with Facebook, and the two would look the same.

I don't remember a reason why last names were got rid of, but I'm pretty sure it was nothing to do with Facebook.

I'd say that too, except this -is- the Lab we're talking about. Scrapebook dreams and all that..

Because they've never ever implemented something without really thinking about it.. Like who their customer base is instead of who they want it to be..

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Fair enough. The reason I say lazy is that, as far as I know, in every language, a person's name (and in most languages) proper noun is always capitalized in the first letter. Perhaps somewhere in the world a christen or first name is intentionally not capitalized, though I've never seen it. Therefore, since it is an amazingly common grammar rule in world languages, I liken it to laziness or low education. 

So I say laziness. It has nothing to do with clarity of how or whether it will be displayed or not, from my perspective. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

More to come!
There’s more in the works, too! Stay tuned for updates on when to expect the return of Last Names, availability of a new mobile app beta, changes to Premium options, improvements to Events, Search, the Destination Guide, and much more

• 5 weeks later...

i think its very silly that there will be no free join with last name i dont find you will see many doing this piad one its not going to be going anywhere and i wont be big i think if they are doing piad then it needs to be last name when they join and free i am not happy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.