Why is Linden Labs stealing our money? (Linden Realms)

Sylvia Wasp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

It hurts it at the point it's cashed out. It's that simple.

At the point the play tokens are cashed into real USD, the lab have to pay that from their bank account.

Roberts argument was that people farming LR earnt money to keep the economy going strong and offset the damage from Sansar, keeping the Lab flush with funds and safe. My points have all been to disprove this. Merchants might get a few more sales (minimal) then they would have, but the result is the Lab has paid USD from it's bank accounts. It's been a hit to their profits.

Doesn't the money come from selling Lindens to other players much the same as any currency exchange? So technically it doesn't come out of their pockets they just process the transaction much the same as a teller would in a bank. What it might do is devalue the exchange rate, which I seriously doubt enough exchanges hands to do this though.

Edited by Blush Bravin

Ah, but has it?

If I have some spare $L (and let's say I got 'em by playing Linden Realms), to cash out I have to sell them.  I sell them on the Linden Exchange.  I know LL participates in the exchange, via their Commerce Linden account.  But in general, the LindEx is a resident-to-resident market.  When I sell $L, I am selling them to some other resident who wants to buy them.

Trying to follow this money trail is making my heads hurt.

• Like 2

I know it's impossible, but I personally think that any lindens earned through LR should have some kind of block to being cashed out. I think those funds are being given to people to help the SL economy. Cashing them out does nothing to help and only drains resources. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

The thing here is, LR never gave anybody that much money to really farm for US$. The amounts were just enough for example to do some uploads, develop a little stuff and rent a small shop. So at some point, after a starting phase, one have to change anyway the strategy. But of course, if this strategy leads to good products, other people with more RL money just buy more L$ to buy it. And of course, if such a business grows in SL, it needs more space ... that is how an economy grows. Of course, while this is all a mechanism that can be proven with mathematical certainty, there are always a lot of people doubting it.

So ... we have Friday, at the best time in Europe and still, we didn't come over 50k online anymore. Let's see where this goes?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RobertDeCraon said:

The thing here is, LR never gave anybody that much money to really farm for US$. The amounts were just enough for example to do some uploads, develop a little stuff and rent a small shop. So at some point, after a starting phase, one have to change anyway the strategy. But of course, if this strategy leads to good products, other people with more RL money just buy more L$ to buy it. And of course, if such a business grows in SL, it needs more space ... that is how an economy grows. Of course, while this is all a mechanism that can be proven with mathematical certainty, there are always a lot of people doubting it.

So ... we have Friday, at the best time in Europe and still, we didn't come over 50k online anymore. Let's see where this goes?

Seriously, you want to equate concurrency numbers based on the change in Linden Realms? Dude! REALLY?

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, RobertDeCraon said:

Numbers are more likely down because a lot of people in Florida are dealing with the aftermath of the storm, or because it's almost summer in Australia so people are at the beach, or the earlier nights means people in Brazil are eating earlier, or those in Asia are dealing with the aftermath of an earthquake.

Think of the biggest number of green dots you ever saw in LR, be that 50, 60, or even 70 green dots... and that's the absolute maximum drop in concurrency you would expect, and that's assuming all those green dots farming LR were angry and went back to watching animax in Sao Paulo, Brazil or Caracas, Venezuela or Toronto, Canada or Sydney, Australia or Nashville, TN.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RobertDeCraon said:

Of course, while this is all a mechanism that can be proven with mathematical certainty.

1+1=2

If that's one cherry tart plus one cherry tart, I'm gonna be stuffed and content.
If that's one cherry tart plus one streamroller, I'm gonna be hungry... and ecstatic.

Don't confuse mathematical certainty with any other kind of certainty.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 2:31 PM, Innula Zenovka said:

As I understand it, before you can cash out crystals in the new game, you need to complete all the quests.

maybe some people are lucky and have managed to hit instances where all the quests are actually working? i had to give up when the goggle rezzer on the second quest turned out to be non-functional. luckily i managed to cash out my old crystals before the changeover, so i haven't wasted too much time. i guess changing the windlight and putting flames everywhere didn't put off as many players as they hoped it would, but this should do the trick and save them a whole bunch of L$ :)

• Like 1

Why play a crappy game game and earn 0 lindens? The Quests are impossible. Seems like these people don't want to give free  lindens but they want to scam you into playing annoying crap and give you nothing.

Edited by Berzerko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Magnek Fang said:

would it have hurt to put a checkpoint close to the lava jump puzzle?

A checkpoint?  I .. um ... When I entered the cave, I ignored the chat message that reminded me to go back and touch the journal first, but then the bottle reminded me again when I got there.  It won't open the trap door unless you touched the journal page.  So, two check points.  One of them should get you before you reach the lava.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

A checkpoint?  I .. um ... When I entered the cave, I ignored the chat message that reminded me to go back and touch the journal first, but then the bottle reminded me again when I got there.  It won't open the trap door unless you touched the journal page.  So, two check points.  One of them should get you before you reach the lava.

I think Magnek means a savepoint ;) because that part apparently is almost impossible to do for some of us (and while the moles claimed to have tested it in various conditions I doubt the moles even have hardware as bad as the average SL user has).

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

yeah, every time you fall in the lava it takes another five minutes to run back and try again. maybe three if you're lucky and don't have to wait for any obstacles to poof on the way. this is working on the assumption that you've changed your windlight and memorised the route. the stepping stones themselves are no more difficult than the swamp level, but the cave-running is MASSIVELY tedious. it wouldn't be so bad if they at least had a crystal spawner down there to relieve the monotony.

(oh, and there are still plenty of uncollectable crystals around, but now they are impossible to distinguish from the others. so that's fun.)

• Like 2

Now the maps are bigger and it's harder to play. I do not get blue and green. and it is very difficult to gather oranges.The stones they chew malfunction, I was running away from one of them, I was bitten, but I was far away. the moving sands are also wrong, you run close to him and also drag you inside

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

in the last posts i miss something... it's only about getting the money... but hey guys, you forget it's a GAME ... and in a game you can win, but also fail. Just start over  :)

The main goal of a game is the game itself, not the fincancial benefits to play it. As soon it's only about the money, it changed to work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i don't think the monsters and obstacles are malfunctioning as such; they've just made their bounding boxes much bigger than the objects themselves so it's harder to dodge them. but yeah, it does sometimes look like they're magically sucking you back five metres so they can play those glytch-style animations yet again. it's harder to navigate because there are so many dead ends compared to the old realms, where the sims flowed together really nicely. it feels more like a bunch of disparate sims bolted together than a coherent landscape. maybe that's what they were going for, but it's not as much fun to run around.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.