LL advertising private businesses in their blog?

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

No but it is an example of why this thread descended into an excuse for some to to throw out passive aggressive digs at Phil.  In my opinion.  I am sure Phil's shoulders are big enough to stand them though. 

Phil's perfectly capable of throwing digs, passive aggressive or not, just the same, lol...including towards me. I've got no real beef with him other than a disagreement on one particular point. I don't hold grudges, and whether or nt I ever agree with him, I tend to think he's at the very least, an okay guy. Doesn't stop the two way digs, though, apparently. 

I disagreed with Phil on one point and it snowballed into him talking about and saying whatever he can to avoid having to address that point, or the fact that it wasn't others who brought it up, but him, lol. I dunno why, it is what it is, he also said he was done with the topic on page 3, but, come on now, we all know most of the time we say that, we don't mean it ;) 

7 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Phil's perfectly capable of throwing digs, passive aggressive or not, just the same, lol...including towards me. I've got no real beef with him other than a disagreement on one particular point. I don't hold grudges, and whether or nt I ever agree with him, I tend to think he's at the very least, an okay guy. Doesn't stop the two way digs, though, apparently. 

I disagreed with Phil on one point and it snowballed into him talking about and saying whatever he can to avoid having to address that point, or the fact that it wasn't others who brought it up, but him, lol. I dunno why, it is what it is, he also said he was done with the topic on page 3, but, come on now, we all know most of the time we say that, we don't mean it ;) 

My comment wasn't aimed at you Tari, I could see the debate between you two and that was not what sparked my response.

Just now, Cindy Evanier said:

My comment wasn't aimed at you Tari, I could see the debate between you two and that was not what sparked my response.

Oh, sorry, I didn't think it was, lmao, I should've made that clearer.

I was just commenting on it lol. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2018 at 1:54 PM, Blush Bravin said:

I like Phil and enjoy his posts. He has every right to voice his disapproval. But we too have the right to say, "Good job, Xiola! Keep them coming."

I like Phil, too.   You have to remember that he's from Yorkshire, where most of my family (including my late partner) are from.     

There's a saying over here, "You can tell a Tyke  [local Yorkshire term for "Yorkshireman"] anywhere.   You can't tell him owt [Yorkshire for "anything"], but you can tell him anywhere".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I like Phil, too.   You have to remember that he's from Yorkshire, where most of my family (including my late partner) are from.     

There's a saying over here, "You can tell a Tyke  [local Yorkshire term for "Yorkshireman"] anywhere.   You can't tell him owt [Yorkshire for "anything"], but you can tell him anywhere".

I wish I could react with both a laugh and a like. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

As one of those nonfashionista who has to be forced at knifepoint to shop (admit I had heard of the event and gasp Blue) it has been great to see the passion.

I'd never heard of the event, and when I read Blue I automatically thought of Blue Linden.  So what do I know about fashion? :D

2888115547_3971de64c7_z.jpg?zz=1

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

So I asked LL about this, and they say it's not possible so yeah... special treatment for you I suppose.

Did you ask them if they could gift a premium membership fee's or was it premium membership?

Because the event was for existing premium members and membership paid for a year, not gifting a premium membership.

You can't gift premium membership..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Did you ask them if they could gift a premium membership fee's or was it premium membership?

Because the event was for existing premium members and membership paid for a year, not gifting a premium membership.

You can't gift premium membership..

Hi Ceka,

This is actually what was posted:

-10 x SL Premium 1 Year Memberships - How is this going to work?
First of all thank you to the Lindens, they are amazing and they made this give away possible. By joining the Blueberry Store VIP group, you automatically enter the give away. Our amazing script genius Ashur will automate this to give us random 5 names at the end of first week (End of next Sunday) and 5 more at the end of following Sunday. Only condition is that you are an existent customer with at least 1 purchase (so our vendor system would have your name recorded and entered to the give away) and you are in the Blueberry Store VIP group.

-What if I already have a premium account, what then?
You have 3 options, we can extend your premium membership by an entire year, or you can gift it to the person of your choice. Lastly, you can trade it in for 10,000 store credit or gift card. Yup!

• Thanks 1

I don't know why any of you are surprised at this sort of thing or why it requires me to explain it or why I need be vilified for calling out the obvious.

Ever since the day that FlipperPA Peregrine placed large billboards featuring Jeska Linden advertising his business inworld, this has been the story, in one way or another. The Lindens created special developers' groups that they steered big RL business to; they feature various people's photos and videos and businesses all the time. Indeed, it is a feature of the TOS that Linden can use your land and artwork and whatnot in any way it seems fit without compensation to you.

I remember going to a huge virtual world conference in NYC back in the day when these were big, with all the greats there, and I was stunned to see a huge larger-than-life backdrop to the Lindens' presentation on stage featuring my tenant in her mermaid costumes. There was no credit on the backdrop -- nothing. I remember I went up to the late Joe Linden and pointed out to him that this was my tenant who paid me microscopic amounts of pennies to vend her wares inworld for pennies, and really, for something like this, she should be compensated, and at least her name featured to give her recognition.

This Lindens make marketing relationships all the time, not only with gateways and Marketplace specials but things that don't seem so visible like Blueberry. Somebody's skins are put in the library for us, and they must get compensation or at least reputational enhancement. There's all kinds of soft ads too like in the "Picture of the Day" obviously.

In the real world, business relationships and pro-sumers and cross marketing and blah blah is done all the time, along with payola. That isn't the problem. The problem is to make it transparent, accessible, and compensated properly. Only one time in its history did the Lindens open an outside ad campaign to just anybody, so that even I could pay some fee in Lindens and have my properties featured on some RL ad campaign. Something, anyway. It isn't THAT it's done; it's that it's not accessible (in principle) to anyone. Obviously not everyone has the talent and ability to stand alongside professionals like the Lindens and that has NEVER EVER been the issue and people constantly crabbing that my FIC theory was sour apples just don't get it. It's about *the principle of the thing* that in theory, anyone can apply, as they can apply to be in Destinations, and if they don't make the cut, understood, but at least the competition is open.

A key plank in our list of demands to Philip Linden back in the day was to stop the favoritism involved with things like Jeska on Flipper's billboards. Because that isn't cross marketing or partnership, it's just a friend doing a favor for a friend.

• Haha 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

So I asked LL about this, and they say it's not possible so yeah... special treatment for you I suppose.

Incorrect, it is totally possible to gift premium memberships.  It's just a difficult, non-automated process that requires out of the norm processing for my team.  If you want it done, file a case and ask for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 12

But wait, I haven't had time to add my opinion :)

I think showcasing is a good thing for SL overall.
It would be good however to showcase stores or builders beyond what is most popular, or whoever brings in the most cash.
For example, would be good to showcase excellent mesh builders, like ChinRey, or Optimo!
Or how about those who faciliate benefits for those less fortunate, or those who devote much of their time to teaching others in SL.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

It would fade away if people didn't have more to say on the subject though.

/me waits for someone to say something about the subject....    So far, it's not looking to good based on the last handful of posts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.