Categorizing Dresses

MegaRose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In my constant quest to wrangle my inventory I thought I'd make a bunch of sub-folders for different types of dress.  Although you can find lists of dress types they're not always super helpful when applied to what I own.  I'm not always sure what defines each type of dress, and there's a lot of weird structural styles that I don't have words for.  I eventually went with broader situational categories- historical dresses, costume dresses, casual dresses...but now about 75% of my dresses are in the 'bar and club' folder (which originally had a more blunt name).  So I'm reconsidering the way I organize.

Anyone got any tips?

I went a different way...I went dresses then store.  But with my outfits, I've saved them under topics like "Summer dresses", "Formal Dresses", "Costume dresses" and then each outfit gets placed in one of those categories. 

I think it's whatever is easiest for you to find them. 

1 hour ago, TatianaNikolay said:

I went a different way...I went dresses then store.  But with my outfits, I've saved them under topics like "Summer dresses", "Formal Dresses", "Costume dresses" and then each outfit gets placed in one of those categories. 

That was nice until I found out I had hundreds of dresses by some stores...

• Haha 2

I have gone a completely different rout, every time I purchase something I take a screen shot of it. I have a directory on my computer I can look through and then use that to know what to search for in my inventory.

I have only been doing it for about three years so it does not cover everything but its nice to look at photos of things to search my inventory.

8 hours ago, MegaRose said:

but now about 75% of my dresses are in the 'bar and club' folder (which originally had a more blunt name).

For me it's the tops folder and all of its sub-folders that are like this.  When is it a chemise, when is it a tank and when is it a sleeveless tee shirt.  As an aside, I have a few things in there that were marketed as a dress, too.  And just because something is in the "tanks and more" folder  -- how to put this -- just what level of family friendly is it?

All too often my inventory clean ups turn into purges so I don't have to sort as much.

• Like 1

A friend told me that the key to organizing clothes is shortcuts. Something like bury the actual outfits in folders, and have upper level folders with categories, and put shortcuts in them. Shortcuts can go in multiple categories. It was a really intimidating, involved organizing scheme that she came up with, and I don't remember the details. Sorry, but as a guy I struggle to find clothes. I don't really have enough to have this problem. But maybe it will spark some inspiration among y'all?

5 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

As an aside, I have a few things in there that were marketed as a dress, too.

This has been happening to me a lot, I feel like my avatar's in high school and I'm enforcing dress code policy on her.  If a 'dress' just barely reaches her crotch I'm calling it a top.  Or sometimes even a swimsuit if it's tight enough.

Is Second Life a Game? Many say no. But, actually it is an inventory game… Are you winning or losing?

Like other games there are variations in play… king of the mountain, capture the flag, last man standing… and others. So, with inventory; most stuff, least stuff, best organized, fastest find in an unorganized inventory, most items in a single folder (sucker play)… and WAY more.

I’ve tried a number of ways of categorizing my inventory. I still have trouble finding stuff.

After 10 years I’ve started tossing stuff I don’t use. I found out old stuff I use least. So, it occurred to me to add a year in the folder names.

Also, there is stuff I REALLY like. I’ve started including a rating in the subfolder names. So, a dress I really like may be in Dresses->Sexy->2018 and its folder is named 01 with least liked 09 – [whatever description]. Things rated 5 to 9 are candidates for the trash. I mean… WHY did I buy that? What was I thinking?

On 6/28/2018 at 4:37 AM, Zeta Vandyke said:

I make folders of each style. Not perfect, and lots of dresses would fit in more than one, but so far it works more or less :)

Knipsel.JPG

I like your setup Zeta. I haven’t gotten to clothes yet, but that’s what I plan on doing with dresses and skirts!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.