FCC pop-up

Ron Khondji

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

It's long been the case that Germans outnumbered Americans. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/05/germans_love_second_life/ 

Even though that's a decade old, I'd say the mix is about the same.

And that survey was filled out and completed by every single SL resident? Funny, neither my wife nor i remember it. Nor do any of my friends. 

2 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

And that survey was filled out and completed by every single SL resident? Funny, neither my wife nor i remember it. Nor do any of my friends. 

As long as a proper sample is taken then a survey is statistically accurate within given error bars. It is not necessary to ask each and every member of SL. 

Having said that the question of course is was the survey sample properly selected and weighted. Being in that business line you would certainly hope so but it is not a given. Sampling is the whole basis of opinion polls. When they are wrong it is usually identifiable as down to a failure in sample selection or question bias.

It would certainly not surprise me if europeans outnumbered americans on SL as after all there are almost twice as many of us in the world at large. Though it may not seem to be the case as the nationalities of those we meet in SL are inherently by time zones. For example a west coast usa person is unlikely to meet many euros but a lot more australians and asiatics

4 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

As long as a proper sample is taken then a survey is statistically accurate within given error bars. It is not necessary to ask each and every member of SL. 

Having said that the question of course is was the survey sample properly selected and weighted. Being in that business line you would certainly hope so but it is not a given. Sampling is the whole basis of opinion polls. When they are wrong it is usually identifiable as down to a failure in sample selection or question bias.

It would certainly not surprise me if europeans outnumbered americans on SL as after all there are almost twice as many of us in the world at large. Though it may not seem to be the case as the nationalities of those we meet in SL are inherently by time zones. For example a west coast usa person is unlikely to meet many euros but a lot more australians and asiatics

Uhhh, twice as many Europeans than in the rest of the world? WHAT!?!?! Are you you smoking something funny? Europe has a population of 738 million, North America has a population of 579 million, you dont even have twice that.. Asia has 4.4 BILLION people living in it.. Where are you getting your numbers, a magic 8 ball? There are 325 million people in the US alone, at 1/3 the size of Europe. 

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Uhhh, twice as many Europeans than in the rest of the world? WHAT!?!?! Are you you smoking something funny? Europe has a population of 738 million, North America has a population of 579 million, you dont even have twice that.. Asia has 4.4 BILLION people living in it.. Where are you getting your numbers, a magic 8 ball? There are 325 million people in the US alone, at 1/3 the size of Europe. 

The original you doubted was

"Did you know Europeans outnumber Americans on Second Life 3 to 1!?"

As your figures prove the US has 325 mill europe 738 Mill that is more than 2 to 1. I never claimed Europe had more people than the rest of the world

It's baffling that there's such a fuss. Does nobody else use wikipedia, ever, or any US-based social network or podcast? Much more intrusive attention-grabbing methods were used the first time Net Neutrality was at risk. Am I the only one who remembers John Oliver's baby-sitting dingo reference to Obama's FCC chair Tom Wheeler? And Wheeler in fact turned around under just such public pressure. So all this has worked in the past, and saved all our Internet futures once. I'm afraid though, in the age of Trump and Pai, we're all pretty much doomed to whatever content Verizon thinks we should get.

2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Do you have stats to back that claim up?

All it takes is a Google search which I do before I post anything anywhere.

But that said I quoted you figures from 2014 the data now is -- Europeans make up the largest block of Second Life residents with more than 54 percent of active users ahead of North America 34.5 percent, according to new Linden Lab data.

Western numbers: 

United States    31.19%
France    12.73%
Germany    10.46%
United Kingdom 8.09%
Netherlands    6.55%
Spain    3.83%
Brazil    3.77%
Canada    3.30%
Belgium    2.63%
Italy    1.93%

In another article I read it would suggest Germany spends the most amount of money on Second Life 

What the hell is this???? Me and many others have been upset of second life forced neutrality spamming. Does this mean that if I dont want to see that kind of annoying spam, I need to quit using second life??? Anyway I will always for now on support any neutrality restrictions if that way can keep that kind of idiots away from internet.

It seems same as Facebook "like". You can only vote yes, right???

That sure works in North Korea but I am not from there!

Its not at all optional if it opens automatic and forced and annoying way . It is illegal spamming and only spamming. Even how many X is there, it doesnt give permission anyone to ask us to accept North-Korea nuclear attacks. And as there is not even any x, its even worse. Should be reported to Trump so he can remove those idiots from internet. I vote yes to that.

17 minutes ago, Ricky Zhichao said:

And as there is not even any x, its even worse.

image.png.1bbe037346d25989e4ed6808cc781336.png

Also this only appears on the login screen, you can still log in.

Also, This doesn't obstruct the login fields at the top of the viewer. Unless you use the destination guide to log in, there shouldn't be an issue.

17 minutes ago, Ricky Zhichao said:

It is illegal spamming and only spamming.

It is not spamming, Linden Lab is restricting it to their platform. I can spam my own site as much as I want and it doesn't count as spamming.

18 minutes ago, Ricky Zhichao said:

Even how many X is there, it doesnt give permission anyone to ask us to accept North-Korea nuclear attacks.

What does this even have to do with North Korea, or nukes for that matter? It is about keeping the internet an open platform so people don't have to pay a premium to their ISP access specific sites.

• Like 1

Just putting this out there, Linden Lab is company based in The United States of America, where net neutrality is at risk.

If Net Neutrality gets repealed, then it affects everyone who uses Second Life†. :v

†Not that Second Life will be shut down, but ISPs may restrict access or slow down to Second Life's Servers unless you pay a premium for "Gaming" or "Social Media" packages.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
Dammit Jim, I'm a engineer, not a English major!
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, WuShin said:

All it takes is a Google search which I do before I post anything anywhere.

But that said I quoted you figures from 2014 the data now is -- Europeans make up the largest block of Second Life residents with more than 54 percent of active users ahead of North America 34.5 percent, according to new Linden Lab data.

Western numbers: 

United States    31.19%
France    12.73%
Germany    10.46%
United Kingdom 8.09%
Netherlands    6.55%
Spain    3.83%
Brazil    3.77%
Canada    3.30%
Belgium    2.63%
Italy    1.93%

In another article I read it would suggest Germany spends the most amount of money on Second Life 

So, you are comparing multiple countries against one.. Well gee, ya think there might be more users? There are twice as many people in Europe as in the US.  Thats like saying, "hey guys, did you know there are more Asians in Asia than whites?"  But you notice, there aren't more per single country than the US. 

Where is the link to that data, btw... 

And that all depends on what they define as "money spent". if the land barons are from Germany, i wouldn't doubt that tidbit in the slightest. 

5 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

I bolded the part i was referring to.. 

4 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

The original you doubted was

"Did you know Europeans outnumber Americans on Second Life 3 to 1!?"

As your figures prove the US has 325 mill europe 738 Mill that is more than 2 to 1. I never claimed Europe had more people than the rest of the world

What you said read to me as if you thought there were twice as many Europeans in the world..   

Just to point out, you are comparing several countries against one.. Pick ONE European country and put it against the US.. The numbers will not back you. 

Also, if the FFC kills net neutrality, do you really think SL wont be affected? Do you really think your connection wont be affected? How many US based companies would this affect? Youtube, netflix, SL, Amazon, Blizzard, and many more. You should all be as concerned as we are. 

29 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

As a Brit, I was left unsure who LL wanted me to contact about net neutrality, but I can't say the brief appearance of the pop-up bothered me that much.   

Linden Lab is a company based in USA where "vote early; vote often" is well respected motto.  We don't let a little thing like non-citizenship stand in the way of making a buck!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I bolded the part i was referring to.. 

What you said read to me as if you thought there were twice as many Europeans in the world..   

Just to point out, you are comparing several countries against one.. Pick ONE European country and put it against the US.. The numbers will not back you. 

Also, if the FFC kills net neutrality, do you really think SL wont be affected? Do you really think your connection wont be affected? How many US based companies would this affect? Youtube, netflix, SL, Amazon, Blizzard, and many more. You should all be as concerned as we are. 

Then you need to up your reading comprehension twice as many obviously refers to americans

The quote you were doubting and asked for proof was europeans outnumbered americans, no one ever said individual countries did. Though someone provided evidence that germans did. Which you then disparaged because you obviously lack any knowledge of how statistical polling works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.