FCC pop-up

Ron Khondji

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just started up the Linden Viewer and got this:
SecondLifeViewer_2017-12-12_20-38-54.png.77b8e83658f09340db3a51722b0c7fbf.png

I know this might be important for you, and the american government and FCC seem only to be working on bettering their own and their friends wallets, but why bother me with this pop-up when all I want to do is log in to second life?

I'm in europe so why do you think I have any influence on any policy in the states?

Please do not use the viewer, which is used globally,  for your local politics.  

Edited by Ron Khondji
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Ron Khondji said:

I just started up the Linden Viewer and got this:
SecondLifeViewer_2017-12-12_20-38-54.png.77b8e83658f09340db3a51722b0c7fbf.png

I know this might be important for you, and the american government and FCC seem only to be working on bettering their own and their friends wallets, but why bother me with this pop-up when all I want to do is log in to second life?

I'm in europe so why do you think I have any influence on any policy in the states?

Please do not use the viewer, which is used globally,  for your local politics.  

It's spam for a good cause. If net neutrality is erased I'm not sure how many SL customers could get priced out of the market, potentially causing SL to crash, and then you wouldn't have your fun place across the pond to play in.

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2017/11/philip-rosedale-net-neutrality-vr-second-life-high-fidelity.html

• Like 7

1 minute ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

@Luna Bliss you have a point but, as sad as I would be if that were to happen as I head towards 11 years, there are other places to "play in" as you put it if you really want to play that card. Besides, isn't the US the land where  the Almighty Market (tm) is Pre  Imp King?

Yeah, if you include the almighty free market in buying Congress by telecom lobbyists.

The fact the popup appears outside the US could be helpful to expats, of whom I am one. Unfortunately, though, my most recent US residence was in a deep blue state so I doubt I could add much to their already pro-Net Neutrality views.

Linden Lab faces an existential threat from the loss of the current rule, and particularly the way Ajit Pai's FCC will instead prevent state and (especially) municipal governments from promoting competition. So the Lab has every reason to do absolutely anything it can to try to stop this -- but it really feels like a lost cause this time.

(This would also pose a threat to any networked VR or social gaming platform not owned by Verizon, AT&T, or Comcast, so the 'other places to "play in"' would be basically whatever's left of AOL in whatever's to become of Oath.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

@Luna Bliss you have a point but, as sad as I would be if that were to happen as I head towards 11 years, there are other places to "play in" as you put it if you really want to play that card. Besides, isn't the US the land where  the Almighty Market (tm) is Pre  Imp King?

Does it really matter if there are/aren't other places to 'play in'. It appears that you, me, and the OP choose/want to be here in SL at the present time.
Not 'playing some card' in my response to the OP...was simply trying to get him to see he's more connected to the US and its politics than he might think. And that I don't think he should be whining about a freaking popup that actually benefits him.

Sorry don't understand your Almighty Market respone in relation to my comment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

.was simply trying to get him to see he's more connected to the US and its politics than he might think. And that I don't think he should be whining about a freaking popup that actually benefits him.

oh yes we in Europe, or the rest of the world, are really waiting for this kind of comments, we can be patronizing perfectly well ourself, don't need yours.

And 'your" spam with benefits? Keep it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:
2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

.was simply trying to get him to see he's more connected to the US and its politics than he might think. And that I don't think he should be whining about a freaking popup that actually benefits him.

oh yes we in Europe, or the rest of the world, are really waiting for this kind of comments, we can be patronizing perfectly well ourself, don't need yours.

And 'your" spam with benefits? Keep it.

Seems like you and the OP have a very strong 'country against country' type of mentality going on...

• Like 2

I second, third, fourth - whatever we are up to - the call to keep politics out of the login "experience" of the viewer and of the associated websites.

If you /really/ have to show it, GeoIP the spam so only those residents inside the USA will be spammed by it.

Any letter, vote, whatever by the world outside the USA means diddly-squat to the USA lawmakers, so why shove it down our throats too?

• Like 1

They had good intentions with it.. while those outside the states might be bugged by it ...that's understandable...the thing is many might not understand it might force LL at some point to have to close Second Life..many years before its time.

Interesting article by a former linden: New World Notes

Sees it yet again *changes my mind*

I now 100% support banning Net Neutrality to get rid of the spam.

/me phones the Prime Minister "Mal, 'ow they 'anging?  Look mate, can youse git Jules to jump on the dog and bone to that seppo Trump, and give 'im an arse kickin' to do Net Non-Neutrality. All me love to ya trouble and strife too mate"

5a310e2fa1d76_https_2F2Fblueprint-api-production_s3.amazonaws.com2Fuploads2Fcard2Fimage2F2068812F942307.jpg.31b6a486016aa8f2e829fa832acbd4df.jpg

8 hours ago, NevaehHeartstrings said:

They had good intentions with it.. while those outside the states might be bugged by it ...that's understandable...the thing is many might not understand it might force LL at some point to have to close Second Life..many years before its time.

Interesting article by a former linden: New World Notes

I assume you are refering to our 'Odious corporate presence' (aka Linden Lab). If this has a direct impact on them, then why the hell don't they just make their own statement instead of flash bombing us on log in with their personal agendas. If i spammed support with erroneous subject text every time their staff logged into the support portal they would potentially suspend me until I ceased hitting the return key.

They have done similar 'ambiguous' campaigns on issues that effected the platform directly in the past and they were somewhat more transparent than this hinky approach to getting attention.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.