Asians Live!

kamsing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm speaking mainly of East Asians, in particular Chinese -- the kind you see everyday but rarely in SL. Chinese  are not even shown in the grouping of new comer countries though we have been in and participated since the beginning. Some of the most popular companies in the past like DrLife were Chinese owned and created and brought SL to other countries. What happened? Even here in the U. S. where Second Life's company is based, Asians no longer are seen and represented. Many, like me, speak fluent english and those who don't use translators to get by.

Many of us who want to be real members compete for the few Asian avatars that are available, others just blend in with the many beautiful white avatars that are available. They can be witch, demon, princess but they still know they are White people playing roles.

For the past year I watched to see the new skins that came out. Some were the same faces but darkened to appear like women of color. Most Asians were ignored completely, but when it did appear it was with five other white skins. I see noting wrong with there being five new White skins - don't get me wrong. The Chinese say 'let a thousand flowers bloom".  But please also let Asians be in that bouquet also. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kamsing said:

I'm speaking mainly of East Asians, in particular Chinese -- the kind you see everyday but rarely in SL. Chinese  are not even shown in the grouping of new comer countries though we have been in and participated since the beginning. Some of the most popular companies in the past like DrLife were Chinese owned and created and brought SL to other countries. What happened? Even here in the U. S. where Second Life's company is based, Asians no longer are seen and represented. Many, like me, speak fluent english and those who don't use translators to get by.

Many of us who want to be real members compete for the few Asian avatars that are available, others just blend in with the many beautiful white avatars that are available. They can be witch, demon, princess but they still know they are White people playing roles.

For the past year I watched to see the new skins that came out. Some were the same faces but darkened to appear like women of color. Most Asians were ignored completely, but when it did appear it was with five other white skins. I see noting wrong with there being five new White skins - don't get me wrong. The Chinese say 'let a thousand flowers bloom".  But please also let Asians be in that bouquet also. 

* nobody in SL ever hold people back to start creating asian skins... so what's keeping you?

I did however see quite many of these posts  asking for it... but (read first line again from * )

7 minutes ago, kamsing said:

What about countries that are seen in the welcome area? Anyway, and Asians  were here. Now they're not.  I think we should ask why, and be told what has happened.

also here,,, start your own! ..don't put it on others, start working opening yours

9 hours ago, kamsing said:

You mean on five other white shapes? If there is even such a thing as a white shape..

A skin is nothing more than a paint job that sits over features made from the shape.. You create your shape or you can go and buy someone elses slider numbers that they have came up with..Then go and pick out your paint job you like to enhance your features in your shape..

Every user of SL is given a set of tools to create their own shape or shapes,as many as we want,Or we can buy from others..

We can limit ourselves to what is created or,We can become creators and know no bounds..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kamsing said:

Eh... I'm really new, but I don't think there are a lot of Asians playing this game. There's no reason for a content creator to spend their valuable time on creating something that would only cater to a small section of the player-base. They'd rather use that time on creating something that would appeal to the masses, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There are alot of asians playing this game, koreans and japanese in particular and most of them are sporting asian looking avatars. Take Catwa head for example, you can make nice droopey eyes with the sliders, which is not possible with other heads. Theres plenty of diversity and i think you are looking in the wrong places.Go to flickr and get inspired!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad to see you all answered! Thanks! Well there used to be many Asians here when I was a kid sneaking in to play. And there was a Chinese sister who had the company DrLife. And she's coming back! So Asians, get ready to stand tall!

• 8 months later...

I'm back!  I was slow for a long time cause I could not write with my right hand. now I can...slowly but I can. I can write rather, type. 

If you are Asian...or if you just have a interest in Asian things and culture, let's get together and talk!

Edited by kamsing
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, kamsing said:

I'm back!  I was slow for a long time cause I could not write with my right hand. now I can...slowly but I can. I can write rather, type. 

If you are Asian...or if you just have a interest in Asian things and culture, let's get together and talk!

I am Asian but what's the fuss? 

• Like 3

Most ethnic groups have a similar complaint... 

I don't see it as discrimination, but a good case could be made for it being discrimination using the MSM and Leftist criteria. But, then most everything is racism these days according to them.

There are skin and shape makers that cater to ethnic groups. Not many. And ethnic skins and shapes do come up easily in search. There are 3,000+ skins. But, it isn't so much the skin as it is the facial features that give an Asian look. There are about 3,000 Asian shapes. But, looking at those in the marketplace... I would NOT say the majority of those look Asian.

But, I say the same about African looks not looking African. For their look clothes and hair are important factors.

When I went looking for Malaysian looks I had to rethink ethnic looks. what does a Malaysian look like? Nobody ever recognizes the look. Either they just don't know or I don't. It is hard to get a specific racial look. We can sort of conform to the general look and coloring. But, no matter what I do with my hair, and heaven forbid I were dreadlocks, people often think I'm of African heritage simply because I am dark. In RL we can see more detail and are sort of more likely to get it right.

I think the biggest problem with race in SL is computer rendering and lighting. The light skinned avatars photograph better in the viewers.

Since this is a community built world, we build the things we want. Creators create what they want or think will sell... meaning what they think others will want. I suppose there are designers that have racial bias. But, I have yet to see it on display. So, I doubt is is a serious factor.

I have a problem with those expecting and/or demanding others do for them. So, don't. If you can't find what you want, ask for help finding it or make it yourself.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Not only ethnicities get discriminated ... did you ever see an older people bento head? With fallen in skin and wrinkes all over? No never? Me neither

Meet Vivian.

23456226_1652990178055440_66362377179856

She is from LAQ.  If you want to increase age even more, try LAQ's age appliers.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Not only ethnicities get discriminated ... did you ever see an older people bento head? With fallen in skin and wrinkes all over? No never? Me neither

Matilda Soon Resident. Creator, Poema. The Queen of the mature look in SL.  

39798881935_dd74ee4f6a_b.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/4/2018 at 5:36 AM, tako Absent said:

I am Asian but what's the fuss? 

If there's not a fuss, live your live and goddess bless you! But those who do have issues let's discuss what they are and how to fix them. crying and whining won't change things things but we can improve things a little or a lot! 

10 hours ago, kamsing said:

If there's not a fuss, live your live and goddess bless you! But those who do have issues let's discuss what they are and how to fix them. crying and whining won't change things things but we can improve things a little or a lot! 

huh? I am genuinely confused. Anywho, this is you (see attached file)

Capture.JPG

On 6/5/2018 at 12:45 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

Meet Vivian.

She is from LAQ.  If you want to increase age even more, try LAQ's age appliers.

I have that head, it's awesome. If you can't fork out for a bento head or expensive skin applier for a mature look, Izzie's has affordable wrinkle appliers with a ton of options (also available as tattoos for system avatars).

Ok, there is interest in older residents.. This is good and we have to support them! But there are some - Asian, Black and others - they are not seen as old 

(unless you also want to be fat).  Hire us to look all the ways we look!

On 8/10/2017 at 10:18 AM, Khilie said:

I am an asian but only use caucasian avies in game because they seem to look way better skinwise.

What Caucasians avies look Asian? We can use whatever fits our style! 

On 7/23/2017 at 1:32 AM, GettingAddicted said:

Eh... I'm really new, but I don't think there are a lot of Asians playing this game. There's no reason for a content creator to spend their valuable time on creating something that would only cater to a small section of the player-base. They'd rather use that time on creating something that would appeal to the masses, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

1 hour ago, kamsing said:

What Caucasians avies look Asian? We can use whatever fits our style! 

There are actually quite a number of skin stores that make good Asian skins.

Tokyo Girl specializes in them; Izzies and LAQ have some and most Pink Fuel skins include an Asian eyelid option.

Hair: Monso, Argrace and Ayashi

Clothing: Bare Rose has a huge variety of ethnic/specialized Asian clothing but their size range is very limited.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.