Asians Live!

kamsing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

35 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Our perception of the nationality make up of SL will depend what time of day we are logged in...

Yes! I though Chinese sims had all been shut down! The Chinese sim has been closed down but many are just empty midnight - till around seven - eight in the morning. There's a twelve hour difference between us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello I'm back! I want to thank all the sisters and brothers who took the time to read and comment on the Asian presence in SL. Our questions woke a lot of people up and I think it will give us a chance to keep the lines of communication open. Second Life seems to be having some issues...I think they are financial ones. and if there is any way of helping  would  EXCEPT for paying  one penny more. Please don't tell me about an offer that gives us us a few cents back on overpriced clothing . And why is there so much "fat clothing"?  No, I'm not throwing shade it's true. If people want their avatar to be overweight fine. but don't make all the avatars like that.  Let a thousand flowers bloom! Xie xie.  

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, kamsing said:

Hello I'm back! I want to thank all the sisters and brothers who took the time to read and comment on the Asian presence in SL. Our questions woke a lot of people up and I think it will give us a chance to keep the lines of communication open. Second Life seems to be having some issues...I think they are financial ones. and if there is any way of helping  would  EXCEPT for paying  one penny more. Please don't tell me about an offer that gives us us a few cents back on overpriced clothing . And why is there so much "fat clothing"?  No, I'm not throwing shade it's true. If people want their avatar to be overweight fine. but don't make all the avatars like that.  Let a thousand flowers bloom! Xie xie.  

Ditto. Old thread, I see, but what the heck, right? LOL RE OP: Been this since my beginning. ~shrugs~

• Like 1

Since most people in Second Life speak English, many people here came from western cultures and European cultures. In the Orient, English is kind of common, but it’s not as common as in Europe.

This is why in electronic applications such as WeChat, most people are of certain ethnicities. In WeChat, almost everyone there is Chinese because the Chinese government used that app to replace YouTube, banks, social media, and everyday electronic things. They banned it for efficiency and possibly for money.

In places like DeviantArt, most people are white because of what I stated above. Many English speakers are white because English is extremely common in there. If you search up websites usually in characters of a different language like Arabic and Japanese, people will most likely be of Arabic decent or Japanese decent.

This explains why there are fewer Asian skins here because of language barriers and possibly cultural barriers from where we grew up. If you grew up in a western society, most people will be If European decent. The same applies with Asian societies around the world.

• Like 1

^ sorry, that view of the world is a bit Naïve.

While it might clearly be seen as the grid's Lingua Franca, I'm not sure that English is the main language. There are a huge number of people who speak Spanish/Potuguese, an even larger number of people who speak German, and quite a sizable community of Japanese speakers.

As for language dictating the look, nope. Not even in the slightest. You will find that more likely to be the preferences and abilities of those who make the skins. Nothing to do with language.

• Like 1

I don't see that connection either. I grew up in Germany, yet, English didn't just fall into my lap because of that. I was fortunate to have a highly motivated, firm and skilled English teacher when I was eleven and started to learn the language in school. And I was lucky, that I don't fail completely at learning a language (or maybe it was just the point in time and the "window for learning languages easier than adults" hadn't closed completely for me back then). But there are many, even among younger generations, who are not able to communicate in English or understand English. If you fail at school and/or have no interest in involving yourself in activily using what you have learned at some point...well you end up not being able to communicate and understand English. Of course that situation is more common among people in the age group of 40+, there are also plenty of younger adults and teens who would not be able to engage in this discussion (for example), because of a language barrier.

And just as you find communities and websites that use asian or arabic languages, you'll find that for any other language aswell and of course the people in those communities will mostly come from countries, where that language is spoken. Of course its more noticeable with languages that also use a different set of letters, but its still there for all languages. If you wanted to, you could navigate Second Life completely in German. The Linden viewer, aswell as some third party viewers (like Firestorm) are available in German. There are newbie places, clubs and groups run by and for Germans. And even in more international places, you have a high chance of running into another german speaking resident after a while.

Of course, if you aren't in that language group yourself its easy to not notice how many people have English just as their second language (with varying skill level). When I visit japanese/asian themed shopping events, I'm often suprised how I'm suddenly surrounded by people from Japan and other asian countries. But judeing by how their avatars look, I assume what their taste differs often from what somebody else might want, when they look for an "asian skin".

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kamsing said:

Second Life seems to be having some issues...I think they are financial ones. and if there is any way of helping  would  EXCEPT for paying  one penny more.

Please don't tell me about an offer that gives us us a few cents back on overpriced clothing .

And why is there so much "fat clothing"?  No, I'm not throwing shade it's true. If people want their avatar to be overweight fine. but don't make all the avatars like that.  Let a thousand flowers bloom! Xie xie.  

kinda absurd to connect this to a asian call for connecting, also insulting about 90% of the population for who the clothes do fit. simple tip... if you don't like it don't buy it.

Perhaps start your own store with fitting sizes?...

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

kinda absurd to connect this to a asian call for connecting, also insulting about 90% of the population for who the clothes do fit. simple tip... if you don't like it don't buy it.

Perhaps start your own store with fitting sizes?...

Yep, like: 

- Let’s talk about Asians 

- Well, let’s complain about Second Life 

- While I’m complaining, everyone else must be fat, because clothes don’t fit me 

..It’s a self-derailing thread!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Silly, I was summarizing another’s post. My tail majickally sticks out of my pants (when I wear pants), without making a hole in the pants!   Inter-dimensional tail breaks laws of physicks.

I know, I was teasing :P 

Mudskin has definitely the cutest ones, but I seen at least one asian skin on every skin shop I went to, most of them looked really good so not sure if OP is searching enough. My last 4 skin purchases were from mudskin, since they make such a good job I dropped the ginger style and adopted this cute asian looking avatar.

WQ2TMXD.png

As for clothes, basically all mesh is made using the basic shape of the body they are made for, that means they will only be "fat" if said body is "fat", if the models wearing it are thicker, doesn't mean the outfit will look big on slimmer shapes.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

As for clothes, basically all mesh is made using the basic shape of the body they are made for, that means they will only be "fat" if said body is "fat", if the models wearing it are thicker, doesn't mean the outfit will look big on slimmer shapes.

I believe the reference is likely to Belleza mesh body, which used to sell as a bundle, but now available separately with Venus, Freya, and Isis. Many creators are doing Freya and Isis only, and some even only for Freya and OP likely uses Venus (I do, myself). But this is okay, it's their loss because there are a lot of users of the Venus and (I suspect to a lesser extent) Isis also. ~shrugs~

Whoo hoo! Thank you all for the good ideas and suggestions! Sorry if I said anything to offend anyone I didn't mean to. Although I speak English,  my community has many people who do not and I picked up many things from then but also learned much Chinese. If i'm commenting inappropiately please let me know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.