What are you watching?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, arton Rotaru said:

I knew that this was coming. But it's something I do only for very special, limited audiences, like a life partner. :P But to give an idea of what I'm talking about, this is one, but by far not the best (couldn't find any better right now) of Rieus yearning faces. ^_^
mqdefault.jpg

yeah i think its better you keep that for limited audience then ! Specially when Phil is around.... just saying ... /me leaves the room silently and innocently.... 

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I was a pop American culture addict. Watched tons of TV, but was also extremely active. Haven't watched much TV since I was a kid. Stopped watching even sports, which at 1 point I kept up with a dozen or more sports. Today, I do watch quite a bit of YouTube tho. There is just something about watching real, every day people, doing something or chasing their dreams. Here is my newest YouTube addiction. No, I had no idea I had any interest in forging steel, lol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Medhue Simoni said:

When I was a kid, I was a pop American culture addict. Watched tons of TV, but was also extremely active. Haven't watched much TV since I was a kid. Stopped watching even sports, which at 1 point I kept up with a dozen or more sports. Today, I do watch quite a bit of YouTube tho. There is just something about watching real, every day people, doing something or chasing their dreams. Here is my newest YouTube addiction. No, I had no idea I had any interest in forging steel, lol.

I had no idea that I did, either! We have a show here in the U.S. called Forged in Fire where contestants have to hand forge knives/swords, etc. they have experts test them at the end. I have no clue why I am fascinated by this show!! lol! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

Almost 20 years ago, I was very good at impersonating Rieus yearning face, playing an imaginary violin. It was a safe bet to make my partner laugh everytime. :SwingingFriends:

My most ineffective face is the "glare". That usually gets a laugh, even when I mean it... or particularly when I mean it.

It doesn't work for Snugs either....

59176556e3cfa_SnugsandMaddy.jpg.cbc1bf0a4b4aaa45fa03623c12aaabe2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Medhue Simoni said:

It is amusing to see what catches my fancy. I've developed a fondness for motor music...

• Like 1

The biggest surprise of the year?
13 reasons why
Extremely addictive, have tissues ready, amazing plot and highly likely to be binge watched.
The downside is having to wait an entire year for season 2.

Best visual effects & show?
The Expanse
I dont know how they mimic zero gravity so often and so well. Also has a few momments where you will go wtf in astonishment. Nasa engineers gave the science in this show the thumbs up. No magic drives or hollywood stuff, just straight science.

Best News?
The 100
The 100 is being renewewd for season 5
Still my favourite plot and story, also has brilliant music.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2017 at 11:51 AM, CheriColette said:

I forgot...Im watching River too. I like that he has psych problems but it gives him insight into other peoples way of thinking. 

I'm in the UK and I loved "River" - even though a lot of people commented that he was too old for his dead/ghost colleague to have been his love interest. It was imaginative and different to normal stuff, and actress Nicola Walker, I thought, was also good in "Unforgotten" (she seems typecast as a detective). 

• Like 1

being an INFP I of course had to check out Netflix' Anne with an E as its a book series I love even though this seems to focus on the darker aspect I am enjoying, also working my way through all the star treks (I grew up watching TOS) and love all except not so crazy for deep space 9 and didnt get to enterprise yet and also watching some of the netflix whats it called?  stranger things?  

regular TV I do masterchef and junior, big brother, once upon a time (ending soon I suspect.), Top model, not much else (drawing a blank) but these are all things native to the US (where I am so I suppose I have answered this totally wrong  lol) I have found some dfelightful foreign films on netflix that Ive enjoyed.  I did discover some series that I initially missed when it was on such as Lost and loved that, and initially started watching Once upon a time on netflix and then caught it in regular time. :)

I dont watch all that much.  most tv in the US doesnt appeal to me and I havent had much time to find others just yet. :P

• Like 1

On 13/05/2017 at 8:29 AM, Pamela Galli said:

Now that TV is streamed globally through services like Netflix, Hulu, etc., I am fascinated by series, and some movies, from all over the world (and not just The UK and US.) It has been quite enlightening. For example, I have learned how other countries deal with things like health care (Doc Martin) or public education (Rita). (Apparently homicide detectives the world over all do things the same.)

What I have also found Interesting is how familiar so many other countries are with details of American culture. Like, how do Swedes know who Sitting Bull was? I knew that American TV / movies were exported, of course, but I had not really thought much about the extent to which other cultures were familiar with the details of my own (duh).  

What TV series from a different culture are you watching?

I had a good long hard think about this, and I think mostly I've been watching series from Australia. We have access to a lot of reality programmes about the police forces in different countries, and border control, and it is fascinating to see the difference in attitudes and procedures.  Even police programmes within the UK can vary from area to area though (we up north feel that they are a bit "soft" south of London (London can be pretty hardcore in places, with gun crimes - and for many of us in the UK, possession of guns is something outside of the norm). 

From being a lot younger than now, I did get into Aussie soap, "Neighbours" for a time, and I was fascinated at how often everyone seems to just go take themselves off for a shower. Britain generally isn't hot enough for more than one or two a day, and although I would live in my bath tub if I could, I think a fair few people here in the summer could do with following the Oz example in that respect O.o . 

Some people/characters from US history are very well known throughout the world. I remember one of our breakfast cereal companies giving away free American Indian heads, and I was dead proud when I found Cochise drop into my bowl. (Maybe the Swedish also had this breakfast cereal, hence their knowledge of Sitting Bull.)

• Like 2

On 13/05/2017 at 4:57 PM, Bree Giffen said:

I usually watch Youtube more than Netflix. I've recently been watching street food vendors preparing different kinds of food. The only series I have seen recently on Netflix is this one about people living in Alaska. It's a reality show and it makes me glad I dont live there. It's called Life Below Zero. 

I watch a lot of youtube, but I realise, reading everyone's posts, that I'm missing a heck of a lot of personal recommendations. 

And reminds me also I sometimes watch "Man v Food" - the one where he had to down several milkshakes was quite the most fun and most ridiculous programme ever. But not dissimilar to certain people in British culture, who will rise to an eating challenge if there is a free tee shirt on offer . 

33 minutes ago, Arielle Simondsen said:

being an INFP I of course had to check out Netflix' Anne with an E as its a book series I love even though this seems to focus on the darker aspect

I watched it and decided I would not recommend it. Too grim.

(And I am an INFP too!)

• Like 1

On 13/05/2017 at 5:28 PM, Phil Deakins said:

That's what he says, but André's hair is nothing like the mullets that were around in the 80s. I still say it's not a mullet :)

I'd definitely not class Andre Rieu's hair style as a mullet.

But there are several examples of mullets in this video from the 1980s.

2 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I'm in the UK and I loved "River" - even though a lot of people commented that he was too old for his dead/ghost colleague to have been his love interest. It was imaginative and different to normal stuff, and actress Nicola Walker, I thought, was also good in "Unforgotten" (she seems typecast as a detective). 

I think 'because of his age' he is perfect. He has flaws and a past, things to accumulate with age. And why shouldnt he fall for his partner, the only person he relates to on a daily basis!  

Ive got to look out for Unforgotten now...Thanks

• Like 1

Pamela, it is very dark.  I think it shows a darker side of INFP not usually shown (Ive been accused in RL of being all sunshine and rainbows and I feel like I am so far from that a lot of the time.  lol) so I am finding it interesting, but I am most loyal to the Anne films starring megan follows (I think that was her name).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CheriColette said:

I think 'because of his age' he is perfect. He has flaws and a past, things to accumulate with age. And why shouldnt he fall for his partner, the only person he relates to on a daily basis!  

My feelings exactly. Perfectly flawed.  

And this scene made me cry involuntary tears. (And made me like this very cheesy song too :) ) 

There seems to be real chemistry between the two lead actors too 

2 hours ago, Arielle Simondsen said:

Pamela, it is very dark.  I think it shows a darker side of INFP not usually shown (Ive been accused in RL of being all sunshine and rainbows and I feel like I am so far from that a lot of the time.  lol) so I am finding it interesting, but I am most loyal to the Anne films starring megan follows (I think that was her name).

Yes I loved the Megan Follows version, as well as the books! This new version is not at all the same. There is a 2016 version too but I can't find where to watch that.

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Yes I loved the Megan Follows version, as well as the books! This new version is not at all the same. There is a 2016 version too but I can't find where to watch that.

I think I caught it on tv at one point (maybe pbs?), I can barely remember it so it cant have been that good.  lol  Yes I love the books too.  I actually saw the megan follows films before reading the books! 

I like The Ranch ,which is on Netflix..They pay a lot of attention to the actual detail of ranching..

It's just about my favorite show nowadays..Sam Elliot just cracks me up..Also didn't realize his Wife in the show was Debra Winger until like the 3rd show..hehehehe

On 5/13/2017 at 9:55 AM, arton Rotaru said:

Here is a quick (from memory), very incomplete, non-chronolonical list of US TV series (which aired on german TV), I grew up with. Which might explain a little why we are quite familiar with north american culture.

Laurel and Hardy
Buster Keaton

The Little Rascals
Lassie
Flipper
The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams
Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom
Here's Boomer
Bugs Bunny
Speedy Gonzales
The Pink Panther
Tom & Jerry
Roots
Bonanza
The Verginian
Gunsmoke
North and South
Star Trek
Buck Rogers
Battlestar Galactica
The Rockford Files
Kojak
The Streets of San Francisco
Cannon
Petrocelli
Vegas
Starsky & Hutch
Magnum P.I.
Remington Steele
Hart to Hart
Simon & Simon
Riptide

Who's the Boss?
Married... with Children
A-Team
The Fall Guy
(Yes, I also had that bikini poster of Heather Thomas on my wall.) ^_^
Falcon Crest
Dallas

:SwingingFriends:

Today I find it quite hard to get hooked to a series. There are so many. The last that got me hooked, and I pretty much binge watched, was Prison Break.
I am watching Season 5 currently.

I have watched the first season of Supergirl. (I know, my image is ruined now as well. :ph34r:)
First season of Lucifer.
First season of Helix.
Tried a couple of others where I stopped watching after the first few episodes though. Like, Iron Fist, and Forever.
I think I'm going to watch more of Sherlock. At least I liked the first episode of season 1.

All my old faverates as well. Only current show I watch is Supergirl. It has it's moments. I am also a fan of but haven't followed latly: NCIS, Criminal Minds, Agents of SHIELD, and Gotham for the first season.

• Like 2

I am watching Mossad on Netflix. I like it, interesting characters. It is always so interesting when they stop speaking Hebrew and start speaking perfectly unaccented English. Oh and someone called someone else Fred Flintstone. Does the whole world know who FF is?

I previously watched another Israeli series on Netflix, Fauad, really good. I am a fan of Homeland, which is based on another Israeli show.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.