What are you watching?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now that TV is streamed globally through services like Netflix, Hulu, etc., I am fascinated by series, and some movies, from all over the world (and not just The UK and US.) It has been quite enlightening. For example, I have learned how other countries deal with things like health care (Doc Martin) or public education (Rita). (Apparently homicide detectives the world over all do things the same.)

What I have also found Interesting is how familiar so many other countries are with details of American culture. Like, how do Swedes know who Sitting Bull was? I knew that American TV / movies were exported, of course, but I had not really thought much about the extent to which other cultures were familiar with the details of my own (duh).  

What TV series from a different culture are you watching?

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

I watch a lot of British tv series and being Australian, thats a foreign culture for me :)

Im about to get hook on Lind Of Duty...starting tomorrow night.

My favourite series was  The Tunnel (British and French) which was loosely based on The Bridge (Danish and Swedish). I followed them both. And yes, I agree with your comment about homicide detectives. 

Fortitude was another great crime series. That one was set in the Arctic Circle. It had some interesting characters. It reminded me of the Fargo series.

If you want to see a NZ detective series, I recommend, Top of the Lakes  (here on youtube). and series two titled, China Girl out this year.   

• Like 1

On the whole, I like crime dramas, but, even though I'm British, I tend not to go for the British ones, except the long 2 hour ones like Morse, Frost, Lewis, Midsomer Murders (still making them), and stuff like that. Series that I currently watch are:-

The Murdock Mysteries (Canada)

Brokenwood (New Zealand)

NCIS (the original - USA)

Lethal Weapon (USA)

The Blacklist (USA)

Chicago P.D. (USA)

Rosewood (USA)

and of course, the André Rieu concerts (Dutch)

Favourites that I wish they hadn't stopped making:-

The Mentalist (USA)

A Town Called Eureka (USA)

• Like 2

I guess being from Holland and we do not have that many native productions, I watch a lot from other cultures?

My favs ar mostly from the US:
Bones
CSI (all of them)
Criminal Minds
NCIS (all of them)
Profiler
The Good Wife
Major Crimes
Law and Order

....ok. I see a pattern?

I also love these ones, even the old ones on re-runs as I never saw the originals, so I am currently watching the 2011 series...:

Masterchef (USA, ASIA, Australia etc)
Masterchef Junior
My Kitchen Rules
Inkmaster
Face Off

• Like 2

i barely watch tv. 

My TV is in my bedroom, right in front of my bed, and as i only watch it for falling asleep each night, as there is no way i can find the sleep with darkness and silence. So as i know im not sure to watch smth till the end, i prefer series than movies for this purpose.

My fav ever has been for years Law and order ( special victim units & criminal intents) but also, Mr Robot, Breaking Bad and the Following.

Recently, i discovered "Orange is the new black" and i really enjoy it.

• Like 2

Although my SL profile says I have never owned a TV, that's now a lie. I bought two big screens a couple years ago. One's in the family room, the other in my bedroom. And I have an HD projector I use to show movies on my patio. Yet, I still don't watch TV... much. I mostly listen to NPR. I catch Stephen Colbert's monologue now and then, and I watch Brooks and Shields on PBS Newshour some Friday evenings. I hope to watch SNL tonight, just to see what Melissa McCarthy does as Sean Spicer.

I do stream things, usually on Saturday evening. My boarder tried to hook me on "House of Cards". I lost interest. I tried to hook him on "Sherlock". He lost interest. I tried to develop the habit of watching one TED talk every evening before going to bed, but that hasn't worked out so well. It's hard to compete with YouTube...

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

I usually watch Youtube more than Netflix. I've recently been watching street food vendors preparing different kinds of food. The only series I have seen recently on Netflix is this one about people living in Alaska. It's a reality show and it makes me glad I dont live there. It's called Life Below Zero. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Although my SL profile says I have never owned a TV, that's now a lie. I bought two big screens a couple years ago. One's in the family room, the other in my bedroom. And I have an HD projector I use to show movies on my patio. Yet, I still don't watch TV... much. I mostly listen to NPR. I catch Stephen Colbert's monologue now and then, and I watch Brooks and Shields on PBS Newshour some Friday evenings. I hope to watch SNL tonight, just to see what Melissa McCarthy does as Sean Spicer.

I do stream things, usually on Saturday evening. My boarder tried to hook me on "House of Cards". I lost interest. I tried to hook him on "Sherlock". He lost interest. I tried to develop the habit of watching one TED talk every evening before going to bed, but that hasn't worked out so well. It's hard to compete with YouTube...

lmao Maddie ! This dog it the dog clone of my cat "Clouseau" ! he does the same when i talk to him ! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Thank you. Ruining your image is something I'd rather do without your help.

nooo... i surrender

my last series and movies:

Call the midwife

Star Trek NG

The Crown

The Paradise

The  100

Fresh Meat

Please like me

the 10 years plan

John Wick

Tales of Irish Castles

3 %

Elisabeth

The Other Boleyngirl

Eastsiders

Suits

Reign

The Proposal

• Like 4

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

nooo... i surrender

my last series and movies:

Call the midwife

Star Trek NG

The Crown

The Paradise

The  100

Fresh Meat

Please like me

the 10 years plan

John Wick

Tales of Irish Castles

3 %

Elisabeth

The Other Boleyngirl

Eastsiders

Suits

Reign

The Proposal

Where on Earth do you find the time to spend with us?

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Where on Earth do you find the time to spend with us?

multitasking :)

also shop a lot in world, spend time with my partner, work, ..

but it's not all from this week, it's about 2 months what i mention here ( took it from my netflix history) and not all are finished yet... still working on ST NG  ;).. and the 100 is in progress with new chapters.

17 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

My emergency backup Mom loves André, but I simply can't get past the mullet.

My favorite Dutch musician is Candy Dulfer.

I don't think it's a mullet. If it is, I hadn't noticed.

There's another Dutchman who I've seen twice in André Rieu concerts - Father Abraham. He had a hit with a Smurfs song. That didn't appeal to me but another song he wrote is an all time favourite of mine. The English translation isn't true to the original Dutch, but it's called Red Rose Cafe. So I'm a fan of his too, but that's not what this thread is about. Sorry.

Edited by Phil Deakins

26 minutes ago, Trinity Yazimoto said:

lmao Maddie ! This dog it the dog clone of my cat "Clouseau" ! he does the same when i talk to him ! 

My childhood cat would go nuts after a bath. He'd crawl under the family room sofa, flip upside down, and run back and forth scratching his back on the rug. I'd lay on top of the sofa and get a mini massage.

When we finally replaced the sofa, long after his passing, we discovered that the thin fabric lining that keeps spiders from nesting in the underside had been torn to shreds. And the spiders, as they do, had built the equivalent of a strip mall down there.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

What I have also found Interesting is how familiar so many other countries are with details of American culture. Like, how do Swedes know who Sitting Bull was? I knew that American TV / movies were exported, of course, but I had not really thought much about the extent to which other cultures were familiar with the details of my own (duh).  

Here is a quick (from memory), very incomplete, non-chronolonical list of US TV series (which aired on german TV), I grew up with. Which might explain a little why we are quite familiar with north american culture.

Laurel and Hardy
Buster Keaton

The Little Rascals
Lassie
Flipper
The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams
Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom
Here's Boomer
Bugs Bunny
Speedy Gonzales
The Pink Panther
Tom & Jerry
Roots
Bonanza
The Verginian
Gunsmoke
North and South
Star Trek
Buck Rogers
Battlestar Galactica
The Rockford Files
Kojak
The Streets of San Francisco
Cannon
Petrocelli
Vegas
Starsky & Hutch
Magnum P.I.
Remington Steele
Hart to Hart
Simon & Simon
Riptide

Who's the Boss?
Married... with Children
A-Team
The Fall Guy
(Yes, I also had that bikini poster of Heather Thomas on my wall.) ^_^
Falcon Crest
Dallas

:SwingingFriends:

Today I find it quite hard to get hooked to a series. There are so many. The last that got me hooked, and I pretty much binge watched, was Prison Break.
I am watching Season 5 currently.

I have watched the first season of Supergirl. (I know, my image is ruined now as well. :ph34r:)
First season of Lucifer.
First season of Helix.
Tried a couple of others where I stopped watching after the first few episodes though. Like, Iron Fist, and Forever.
I think I'm going to watch more of Sherlock. At least I liked the first episode of season 1.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 3

Just now, arton Rotaru said:

Here is a quick (from memory), very incomplete, non-chronolonical list of US TV series (which aired on german TV), I grew up with. Which might explain a little why we are quite familiar with north american culture.

Laurel and Hardy
Buster Keaton

The Little Rascals

Bugs Bunny
Speedy Gonzales
The Pink Panther
Tom & Jerry

I've retained all the material from your list that I grew up with. When I was young, we watched actual real movies on a huge projector in our barn. Dad got the movies from a film distribution company that often rented titles for a pittance. I've forgot many of the movies, but I remember the shorts and cartoon reels like it was yesterday. It's easy to see why the slapstick nature of life in SL appeals to me.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's what he says, but André's hair is nothing like the mullets that were around in the 80s. I still say it's not a mullet :)

What mullet are you talking about ?

In french a mulet is : 

mulet.png.f55374fee12f352e7ffe2098a514ce56.png

So when its about André Rieu, it gives weird meaning in my mind :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.