What is A prim?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Original inworld building blocks that come as part of the viewer. These are not as efficient as mesh that can be made in a 3D program BUT the viewer has a built in recognition system  so they still work well. 

The prim cube has many more vertices than a simple mesh cube made in Blender or Maya etc. This was so light would refract more realistically. 

Prim count can often be lowered by changing the default PRIM status to CONVEX HULL but that only works well with simple shapes (not hollowed or cut) as those can end up having areas you cannot walk into (bad physics).

That's a start. Prims are still a viable form of building but mesh has taken over in the "high end" market. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Primitive

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

'Prim' is a shortened way of saying 'primitive'. They come various shapes. If you are on your own land, you can click the ground, or object, and then click 'Build'. You'll see 3 rows of prim shapes in the Build box. If you click one to select it, and then click somewhere, the new prim will appear.

They can be manipulated for size and shape, and linked together to make things.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JoelTyrone said:

the reason I asked was someone told me that one was on me and that it ewas what kept kicking me off their land

I'm not sure how something that you have attached could kick you off of someone else's land, but you can check to see if something odd got attached to you.  If you are using the SL Viewer type "(worn" without the quotes in the top search area of your inventory window.  See if anything sounds odd, something you didn't intend to wear/attach.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

Still not sure how that would cause you to get kicked off of land.  One possibility, if you have scripted items attached and your total script count was too high.  I had that happen to me, but I did first receive a pop up window telling me my script count was too high and I would get booted if I didn't reduce it.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JoelTyrone said:

the reason I asked was someone told me that one was on me and that it ewas what kept kicking me off their land

when wearing a prim people might look at you like you'r a bit nuts funny.. but thats about it.. never heared somebody got booted for that...

unless..... it's a huge one and you kick/slap others constantly... but even in that case you would get a warning.

On 5/13/2017 at 11:20 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Still not sure how that would cause you to get kicked off of land.  One possibility, if you have scripted items attached and your total script count was too high.  I had that happen to me, but I did first receive a pop up window telling me my script count was too high and I would get booted if I didn't reduce it.

Imagine if landowners start discriminating against prim owners/wears. "MESH ONLY"..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:
2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

For a great in-world tutorial on building with prims, search for "Ivory Tower of Prim".

I thought Ivory Tower was closed.  Is it still around?

Aww, that would suck! I swear I saw something about it being open. Oh, well. 

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

For a great in-world tutorial on building with prims, search for "Ivory Tower of Prim".

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I thought Ivory Tower was closed.  Is it still around?

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Aww, that would suck! I swear I saw something about it being open. Oh, well. 

The Ivory Tower (of Primitives) has never closed! :)

http://world.secondlife.com/place/fad6fd63-ddfb-815f-1fe6-34d9686c205e?lang=en-US

Sadly, our dear friend and mentor who created the Tower and tutorials, Lumiere Noir has passed away in 2015,
and he miss us a lot :(

But we're still here and you're all welcome :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Good grief, Rhonda. Spreading doubt is what I do.

And it's one of the best things you do, when you do it.

1 hour ago, Maureen Boccaccio said:

I have doubts about this. :D

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Are you sure?

You can always ask Clover.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.