The Home and Garden thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I included a link to a treehouse that I wanted to buy, got a message that it had been hidden because it was against the guidelines

Rather than giving links directly into the marketplace, I often give search terms that will lead someone right to what they're looking for. It's usually pretty easy to send someone to exactly the thing you think will work for them without ever naming the thing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Rather than giving links directly into the marketplace, I often give search terms that will lead someone right to what they're looking for. It's usually pretty easy to send someone to exactly the thing you think will work for them without ever naming the thing.

Or just send them a direct message with whatever links you want to give them.  B|

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

And why they are only there I cannot imagine, and I have asked Lindens in the forums several times, no response.

Definitely - as it is now, it can seem as if the guidelines only apply to the 'General Discussion' part of the forums. At the very least, there should be a link to them at the top of every sub-forum, including all of the Answers sub-topics.  Or better yet, bring that sidebar back and put links to them there. That way they are always visible regardless of which page you are on. From the Forum Feedback, we have managed to get a JIRA entered for the sidebar, so maybe if / when they do it, it will contain the links.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Or just send them a direct message with whatever links you want to give them.  B|

Sure, but others can't see that solution.

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Definitely - as it is now, it can seem as if the guidelines only apply to the 'General Discussion' part of the forums. At the very least, there should be a link to them at the top of every sub-forum, including all of the Answers sub-topics.  Or better yet, bring that sidebar back and put links to them there. That way they are always visible regardless of which page you are on. From the Forum Feedback, we have managed to get a JIRA entered for the sidebar, so maybe if / when they do it, it will contain the links.

I wonder if the Lindens are looking at the forum only from inside the forum. The links to the guidelines we requested could have been implemented entirely outside the forum HTML, either as links beside the ToS link at the bottom of all SL web pages, or as links inside an overarching ToS page that aggregates the rules for all LL properties, in-world and out.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Most of the advice I've offered was over in the old Answers forum. Our hope there was that, by giving our answers in public, we might avoid having to repeat ourselves. People having the same issues could read the entire thread and learn all we knew. There have been instances where I've IM'ed very specific recommendations, but that's been rare. Offering up search terms sends the person to the thing they seek, teaches them how to effectively use search, and avoids running afoul of the rules.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Most of the advice I've offered was over in the old Answers forum. Our hope there was that, by giving our answers in public, we might avoid having to repeat ourselves. People having the same issues could read the entire thread and learn all we knew. There have been instances where I've IM'ed very specific recommendations, but that's been rare. Offering up search terms sends the person to the thing they seek, teaches them how to effectively use search, and avoids running afoul of the rules.

I have thought about starting a thread on this very subject. At least half the questions asked in the forum are easily found with a search of Google or the forum. People simply do not have any idea how to do a search -- and that definitely includes inventory. They often have no idea there is a keyword search field, or when searching for a missing chair, they input the name of the entire set. 

As a former teacher, I always think it is more empowering to teach someone how to find information than to give it to them. It is not kinder in the long run to provide answers instead of search terms.

• Like 4

Just now, Pamela Galli said:

I have thought about starting a thread on this very subject. At least half the questions asked in the forum are easily found with a search of Google or the forum. People simply do not have any idea how to do a search -- and that definitely includes inventory. They often have no idea there is a keyword search field, or when searching for a missing chair, they input the name of the entire set. 

As a former teacher, I always think it is more empowering to teach someone how to find information than to give it to them. It is not kinder in the long run to provide answers instead of search terms.

Agreed.

I sometimes get frustrated with what appears to be an inexcusable lack of knowledge of how to search for things. I've had people ask "What does this XYZ error message mean in the viewer?" I then Google "SL viewer XYZ error message" and the first returned link is to a beautiful description of the message and how to address it. I then post this...

A Google search for "SL viewer XYZ error message" returns this (I provide the link) and requires far less effort than you expended to inquire here.

I've tweaked you for snark in the past, but it seems I'm guilty myself.

... hands you an olive branch.

(It's actually a willow branch that fell out of the sky into my yard, and I'm using you to carry away my lawn debris. So, sue me.)

;-).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Agreed.

I sometimes get frustrated with what appears to be an inexcusable lack of knowledge of how to search for things. I've had people ask "What does this XYZ error message mean in the viewer?" I then Google "SL viewer XYZ error message" and the first returned link is to a beautiful description of the message and how to address it. I then post this...

A Google search for "SL viewer XYZ error message" returns this (I provide the link) and requires far less effort than you expended to inquire here.

I've tweaked you for snark in the past, but it seems I'm guilty myself.

... hands you an olive branch.

(It's actually a willow branch that fell out of the sky into my yard, and I'm using you to carry away my lawn debris. So, sue me.)

;-).

And it is not just the inability to use/choose keywords, but to know what sources are appropriate. Like, we have people who regularly ask something in the forum like "I am new to Blender. How do I make a spaceship?"  

ETA Also when someone has a product support question, they come here instead of the creator or inworld group. Several of those in the forum currently.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

And it is not just the inability to use/choose keywords, but to know what sources are appropriate. Like, we have people who regularly ask something in the forum like "I am new to Blender. How do I make a spaceship?"  

I've seen your work, I've seen you ask questions and give answers here. You're highly competent to be sure, and not just about creation in SL. And so, I can feel your frustration over questions like that. It's hard to imagine the degree of naivety that produces them. I sometimes have a visceral reaction to such questions as I contemplate the massive amount of learning required to get where they want to go and the sheer lunacy of thinking it would be expressed in a post, a thread or even a book.

Fortunately, we don't depend on such people to run our govern...

... runs screaming from the thread.

ETA: ... returns to the thread to observe that reason we keep answering such questions is that, once in awhile, someone we help has an "aha" moment, and those are just too precious to miss.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

So my partner is on a trip to her parents and the giant Easter Bunnies she released will be loose outside our home until at LEAST next week.

So I'm posting a photo of our kitchen..........

...and Mister Rabbit...terrorizing my defenseless animated pets :-)

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2017 at 11:29 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

We were actually just discussing treehouses in this thread, I mentioned that there was one in particular that I've been coveting for quite a while. I threw in a link to it to show WHY I have been coveting it, lol! Ah well, live and learn! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

We were actually just discussing treehouses in this thread, I mentioned that there was one in particular that I've been coveting for quite a while. I threw in a link to it to show WHY I have been coveting it, lol! Ah well, live and learn! 

And personally, I think we should be able to do those kinds of links.  I still don't understand what is and is not allowed because I do see posts that give merchant names and not all of them get removed.

• Like 3

It's not explicit. It just says:

"No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum." 

Mods are interpreting that as no MP listing links to specific products* -- maybe because it would be easy to game (with alts) as a way to turn a thread into free advertising.

* But yes, it is not consistent, as some links stay put. Should be either no links to MP or all links to MP, are okay. 

• Like 2

A little peek around my sky home

58f405a14155a_Myabode_002.thumb.png.4b46238c76ea6301ba8facd74b5b271b.png

58f4053d1f79a_Myabode1_001.thumb.png.fa17dd93b45b934999db8a78e098fc45.png

58f405a7ca0fa_Myabode1_002.thumb.png.64102639b37471acc688d65f3bcad7cb.png

58f405afab4b1_Myabode1_003.thumb.png.6e631a3aaf724efa43e33e36ab89906a.png

Credits: House: Maven, Furniture & Accessories: Primpossible, Vea, {AF} (Apple Fall), a friend, me

• Like 8

The house is stunning, Pam, but beware - the roots of those trees right outside your house, behind the fireplace, can, and most likely will, cause structural damage to that side of the house. Other than that, I'd have preferred a large landscape painting on the chimney breast instead of the 2 floral ones lol.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.