Do user names or display names matter who you choose to say Hi ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have an alt that the user name is Japanese but i am not Japanese in RL. And i use only English in SL. I dont know if it's just my feeling. I feel that i get only a few IMs or none at all when i use the alt. I never really counted to compare. That's why i bring the question here.

In RL some countries were enemies at war. And i know some people still have resentment at the past war enemies. 

My question is, how do you feel when you see avatars in-world with such names, would you say Hi to them and make friends? 

Ethnic or cultural names that are different from my RL one doesn't matter.  I'm from the US, and we have every kind of name here, so it's all good.  But, even if there was a name that appeared very different from what I'm used to, it wouldn't matter, as I like meeting people from other countries.

Now, if the name is using a weird looking cutesy font that's nearly unreadable, that would make me think twice about communicating with the person. 

I personally rarely see anyone because I am working, tho I will wave and say hi to anyone I happen to come across as I work.  However, my guess is that if you have a Japanese name, people will assume you speak Japanese, so what are they supposed to say? Konichiwa?

I don't even like my neighbours, so it doesn't make much difference what language anybody uses (especially if we can't understand each other) where they live (especially if our locations mean we don't meet) what fictitious deity they might worship, what gender they are or claim to be, or what colour their hair, skin or blood is

If they are stupid, however, that DOES make a HUGE difference.

PS Or if they are Gooners, like Ebbe.

Maggie Crescendo wrote:

I have an alt that the user name is Japanese but i am not Japanese in RL. And i use only English in SL. I dont know if it's just my feeling. I feel that i get only a few IMs or none at all when i use the alt. I never really counted to compare. That's why i bring the question here.

In RL some countries were enemies at war. And i know some people still have resentment at the past war enemies. 

My question is, how do you feel when you see avatars in-world with such names, would you say Hi to them and make friends? 

Are you using japanese signs as well for that name? If so, I wouldn't IM you, because I would assume you only speak Japanese, because all japanese residents I saw in SL seem to keep to themselves and rarely speak English.

I've never been at war with anyone, and my usernames surname also happens to be Japanese in origin (it means 'Jupiter').

Never had any problems sayin' hi, or being said hi to.  I'd question this observation of yours a little since people don't decide to be friendly on name alone, there could be plenty of other stuff going on that's causing the differing level of IMs. Capturing interest is hard. It could even be your confusing use of English, rather than any confusing use of Japanese.

I do agree with Syo - if you use the Japanese kanji as your display name you will appear as non-English speaking, and this will reduce the liklihood of integration. Double-especially if you only hang out in avatar parking zones, where local chat is low and people just "linger" waiting for IMs. If you're quiet AND appearing non-English speaking the odds increase that you'd be a hard-sell around English speakers - most would consider it better to ignore you rather than risk ending up in a half-hour conversation about directions to the nearest train station.

Internet relations has always seemed to go that way, with each language isolated (my understanding is that it's structural). This has nothing to do with nationality or military history (though it may be cultural, as linked below). For those who speak English (it's a reality that most anglo-types can't speak more than one language, and this 'guilt' turns into isolationism easily), this is no barrier to mixing between nationalities.

P.S. You might find this interesting, although I absolutely don't believe that this is your problem. If you choose to reappropriate from other cultures the historical Japanese concept of Sakoku is worth bearing in mind.

I'm English of Celtic, Anglo Saxon, Norman, Jewish  heritage. I chose my name because many years ago I had a friend called Watanabe and at the time I met him I had never heard such a name and thought it was ultra cool, although I later found out it is a very common name in Japan. I never noticed anyone having a problem with it but if they do then I hope they don't IM me because I don't want to talk to or make friends with racists.

As far as talking to others I enjoy meeting people from different cultures and wouldn't think twice about it but I am with Celestiall on the cutesy fonts.

Greetings, Maggie

While no doubt in Second Life there is an element of racism and historical dislike/hate, just like in real life, I think its just a matter of people worrying about a potential language barrier when they seem not to be as forthcoming when you log in on your Japanese-appearing alt. 

I usually read an avatar's profile before engaging in conversation with them, as I don't wish to struggle any more with language barriers. If you have a Japanese name, but speak English, then try adding this information onto your profile.

I concur with Celestiall re: use of cutesy fonts, upside down characters, etc in a display name. If it is hard to read, I won't bother.  I also agree with Mari's comment re: writing something in your profile indicating you are English-speaking.

Over the years, I have had several ask me if I was Russian because of my avatar's surname. I am not. However, I do know a few Russian words and, if I am DJ'ing at the time. I will rattle them off (all of them; there ain't many).  |:

Being a Japanese cultural scholar, I have to think this has more to do with your behaviour or cultural prejudice that racism. If you don't say hi to people, they won't say hi to you. If you sit in your private skybox or closed off parcel and never venture out, you'll never meet people. I don't know if you're doing any of this, but I so hear people say that all they do is sit in their house and comment how bored they are. As for cultural prejudice, a LOT of people who are into Japanese culture are giant, horrible nerds (myself included), so anyone familiar with those subcultures may simply be avoiding you as a stiupid weeaboo, not wanting to tak about anime and panty machines.

You can't really do anything about cultural prejudice (aside from turn it down if that's what's going on), but you can be more social. If you go to a club, say hi to people. Try and strike up conversations. Use emotes and gestures. If people see that you are being active, they may start talking to you.

If i use my main account (this one i am using now) and i go to a club or some place no one im's me.

But if i use an alt, i do get im's normaly by guys wishing to 'chat me up'! so if you have an av thats been in sl for a long time and has a business etc you get the same treatment ^^

HarrisonMcKenzie wrote:

Being a Japanese cultural scholar, I have to think this has more to do with your behaviour or cultural prejudice that racism. If you don't say hi to people, they won't say hi to you. If you sit in your private skybox or closed off parcel and never venture out, you'll never meet people. I don't know if you're doing any of this, but I so hear people say that all they do is sit in their house and comment how bored they are. As for cultural prejudice, a LOT of people who are into Japanese culture are giant, horrible nerds (myself included), so anyone familiar with those subcultures may simply be avoiding you as a stiupid weeaboo, not wanting to tak about anime and panty machines.

You can't really do anything about cultural prejudice (aside from turn it down if that's what's going on), but you can be more social. If you go to a club, say hi to people. Try and strike up conversations. Use emotes and gestures. If people see that you are being active, they may start talking to you.

"scholar"?

Really?

Derek Torvalar wrote:

HarrisonMcKenzie wrote:

Being a Japanese cultural scholar,

LOT of people who are into Japanese culture are giant, horrible nerds (myself included),

stiupid weeaboo,

Use emotes and gestures.

"scholar"?

Really?

Apparently a weeaboo, who doesn't want to be known as "the stupid" one.    ; )

Yes. Scholar. I have a university degree in Japanese language and culture, spent 3 years in religious studies, practiced Buddhism in a temple, spent 7 years event planning for cultual groups, networked with employees at the Japanese Consulate and a community association, have traveled twice to Japan, and am an English language teacher. Yes, I am a Japanese cultural scholar. And do NOT use that racist **bleep** tone with me, because that is exactly what I am calling into question. As soon as someone says Japan, everyone assumes they are some Naruto loving virgin with no friends, and I have no gone and proven exactly why no one wants to talk with to the OP for having a Japanese name. It is because some people on the internet are petty, racist, elitist dicks who want nothing more than to crap oin other people for having interests.

HarrisonMcKenzie wrote:

Yes. Scholar. I have a university degree in Japanese language and culture, spent 3 years in religious studies, practiced Buddhism in a temple, spent 7 years event planning for cultual groups, networked with employees at the Japanese Consulate and a community association, have traveled twice to Japan, and am an
English language teacher
. Yes, I am a Japanese cultural scholar. And do NOT use that racist **bleep** tone with me, because that is exactly what I am calling into question. As soon as someone says Japan, everyone assumes they are some Naruto loving virgin with no friends, and I have no gone and proven exactly why no one wants to talk with to the OP for having a Japanese name. It is because some people on the internet are petty, racist, elitist dicks who want nothing more than to crap oin other people for having interests.

Because those who can, do, and those who can't teach?

Perhaps you do not understand what the word 'scholar' means? It usually requires a published body of work. Have you published anything of note that others might then point to and say "That is an excellent body of scholarship?" Merely having a degree and a few years experience working within an industry does not qualify you as a scholar.

There is nothing racist in my tone at all. Rather I am calling into question your qualifications, which I deem to be insufficient to warrant the term 'scholar'. The term scholar is typically an honourific bestowed upon someone by acknowledged members of the community in which they practise.

Perhaps you should get out your dictionary and give us the Japanese translation for 'hubris'.

HarrisonMcKenzie wrote:

Yes. Scholar. I have a university degree in Japanese language and culture, spent 3 years in religious studies, practiced Buddhism in a temple, spent 7 years event planning for cultual groups, networked with employees at the Japanese Consulate and a community association, have traveled twice to Japan, and am an English language teacher. Yes, I am a Japanese cultural scholar. And do NOT use that racist **bleep** tone with me, because that is exactly what I am calling into question. As soon as someone says Japan, everyone assumes they are some Naruto loving virgin with no friends, and I have no gone and proven exactly why no one wants to talk with to the OP for having a Japanese name. It is because some people on the internet are petty, racist, elitist dicks who want nothing more than to crap oin other people for having interests.

You have been to Japan a whole TWO TIMES.

Wow!

[inter Alia, I have made separate visits to both Disneyland AND Disneyworld; do you think MIT might give me a Doctorate in Leisure Studies?]

HarrisonMcKenzie wrote:

And do NOT use that racist **bleep** tone with me, because that is exactly what I am calling into question. As soon as someone says Japan, everyone assumes they are some Naruto loving virgin with no friends, and I have no gone and proven exactly why no one wants to talk with to the OP for having a Japanese name. It is because some people on the internet are petty, racist, elitist dicks who want nothing more than to crap oin other people for having interests.

No one used  a "racist" tone with you.   You're the one who wrote things like "stupid weeaboo" (only you misspelled the word stupid) 

Nor did you, "I have no gone and proven exactly why no one wants to talk with to the OP for having a Japanese name."   Instead you spouted your own biases, and BS.  

One of my long time renters in SL is Japanese, and he'd be appalled at your rude behavior here as representative of a Japanese culture "scholar".

People on the Internet aren't by default, "petty, racist, elitist dicks who want nothing more than to crap oin other people for having interests.".  But, what one sees, is often a reflection of one's own attitude.

I'm also calling into question your self-proclaimed "scholar" status.  An undergrad degree, a few trips, and hanging around people isn't what I'd call a scholar.  Nor, does "religious studies" add to credibility for Japanese knowledge. Ditto for "English language teacher".    You want credibility?  Try acting with some grace, and maturity.  

When I see someone with a Japanese name in SL I don't assume they are Japanese. I assume they are American or European, and are anime fans, and as such, would have nothing in common with me and be at least 25 years younger than I am.

Generally if someone has a display name different from their username I will address them by display name, as long as it is in readable text. If it's full of unicode sparkles or is in any other way not easily readable I'll use the username instead. 

If the entire profile is in a language other than English thats an entirely different matter. I speak only English with any fluency so I would be unlikely to engage with themin that case.

I don't care a bit about past wars or anything of the sort. I haven't ever been at war with anybody. And I will chat with anyone who speaks my language and is willing to chat back in return.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Are you using japanese signs as well for that name? If so, I wouldn't IM you, because I would assume you only speak Japanese, because all japanese residents I saw in SL seem to keep to themselves and rarely speak English.

^^ This. Names in Kanji are usually a good indication people are likely Japanese speaking (only), and I won't IM them (what HarrisonMcKenzie would call 'racist,' but which, in a non-tinfoiled world, is just called being respectful: they call that thang a language barrier for good reason).

Store owners with Kanji names are different: I will IM them when I need to, and then just assume they probably know English because they're doing business in an English speaking world.

kiramanell wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

^^ This. Names in Kanji are usually a good indication people are likely Japanese speaking (only), and I won't IM them (what HarrisonMcKenzie would call 'racist,' but which, in a non-tinfoiled world, is just called being respectful: they call that thang a language barrier for good reason).

Language translators are so common in SL I don't let this hold me up.

I once spent a few days hanging out and socializing together with a person with wome I had no languages in common. We both had translation HUDs on. That was a long time ago though - and back in 2009, translator HUDs were one of the things 'newbie spots' sent you off to go get in their starter tutorials. So just about everybody I encountered had one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.