Safe Hubs = Unsafe Hubs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So right now I don't really have a home on SL. My "home" is simply a "safe hub". Despite the name, these are commonly targeted by griefers and are not that safe at all, especially if you want to stay out of trouble.

Unfortunately for me I left my avi in a safe hub while afk. Someone thought it would be a good idea to grief everyone on the sim. My graphics card started to overheat and when I returned to my computer, I could hear my GPU fans running at max RPM. God knows how long they were doing that for!

Now my graphics card is on the verge of dying. I see random polygons and rendering performance has significantly decreased. 

Why can't LL do more to combat griefers? Not only is it a major annoyance, it can also be very costly too! Now I need to buy a new graphics card before it dies completely. 

Ex

• Sad 2

That stinks about your graphics card. I hate being dropped in at safe hubs, there is always the max amount of people loitering and griefing and all sorts of awful things going on which is .. well ugh. That and it lags out my older computer significantly, simply because the sheer amount of people and the gawd awful 200+ ancient listening scripts that shoot the cpu usage and kb sky high. I saw someone once with 938 scripts and somewhere in the 18k kb area. I was baffled. How does someone get that much scripting on them without lagging themselves to death with the usage?

Anyway, enough of my babbling. I hope you get to replace your gc soon. It'd be nice if LL did something more to deal with griefers and their ilk, but it's just easier to find those quiet places that rarely do deal with them than it is to hope LL can finally start protecting the users. I have quite a few quite places I like to rez into on my favorites list. I'm not sure how the SL viewer does it or anything else, but with firestorm, you can choose to rez into one of your favorited locations, it's just a setting in the preferences tab that allows the areas to show on the login screen; then I can choose between last location, 'home' or one of my favorites. 

• Thanks 1

Some safehubs are not very welcoming as griefers use to hang out there. However there are also nice ones.

For example this one:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ambat/88/211/60

Often there are only very few avies there. Peaceful place. You can even set your home location there. And there is a small sandbox area too whre you can open your boxed purchases. Or even build something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aeromia wrote:

simply because the sheer amount of people and the gawd awful 200+ ancient listening scripts that shoot the cpu usage and kb sky high. I saw someone once with 938 scripts and somewhere in the 18k kb area. I was baffled. How does someone get that much scripting on them without lagging themselves to death with the usage?

Scripts execute server side, they have ZERO impact on the CPU and memory use of your computer.  Someone wearing a lot of scripted items does not suffer lag at their PC because of wearing scripted items.

Exavor Diesel wrote:

Why can't LL do more to combat griefers? Not only is it a major annoyance, it can also be very costly too! Now I need to buy a new graphics card before it dies completely. 

It should be capable of running flat out all day long with proper cooling.  If it's not capable of that then it's not fit for purpose. 

• Sad 1

Aeromia wrote:

That stinks about your graphics card. I hate being dropped in at safe hubs,

. . .

I saw someone once with 938 scripts and somewhere in the 18k kb area. I was baffled. How does someone get that much scripting on them without lagging themselves to death with the usage?

They don't. Those same people are usually on blogs and forums complaining about LLs "not fixing lag" and "being so behind Emerald / Phoenix"...

(They're often the ones still trying to log in with those outdated viewers rather than their replacement.)

• 5 years later...

This reply is a few years later and I'm surprised that the thread is open still. I have been diverted to "Safe Hub" on a number of occasions and it still attracts trolls, griefers, script kiddies and people that harass others on voice. You can only block them and/or report each incident with as much documentation as possible. Best not to engage them because you could be the one on the incident report.

There are some Linden parcels that are almost deserted but without the voice option. Might be a blessing in disguise as there are some very angry, ugly people lurking around places like "Safe Hub".

On the occasions I've been landless and needed to set home at an infohub, I usually did so somewhere out of the way; on the roof or in an otherwise deserted corner, and kept my camera view directed away from the crowds.

Also (on Firestorm) you can set preferences to just not render objects like this, thus protecting your graphics card.

• Like 1

The term "Safe" was never intended to imply that its safe for visitors. Safe hubs are on Adult land whereas Info hubs are on Moderate or General land. Safe in this context means that no matter what state of dress (or undress) you happen to be in, you'll not be breaking any rules if you get randomly sent there.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

The term "Safe" was never intended to imply that its safe for visitors. Safe hubs are on Adult land whereas Info hubs are on Moderate or General land. Safe in this context means that no matter what state of dress (or undress) you happen to be in, you'll not be breaking any rules if you get randomly sent there.

There are many Sims that give a little leeway on states of undress so I don't agree with your interpretation. I think "safe" implies free from pushing and overly obnoxious particles. Also, should imply freedom from harassment.

2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Because the forum (sadly) doesn't close threads down automatically. 

Actually I think it's a good thing that the forum didn't shut down. I think that people should be aware of this. I was teleported randomly into Safe Hub when the sim I usually go to was closed. It's only fair to know what to expect when you enter these Sims. At least you can protect yourself. Too bad something wasn't and isn't done about it.

11 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

On the occasions I've been landless and needed to set home at an infohub, I usually did so somewhere out of the way; on the roof or in an otherwise deserted corner, and kept my camera view directed away from the crowds.

Also (on Firestorm) you can set preferences to just not render objects like this, thus protecting your graphics card.

So it's the hapless person who gets diverted to Safe Hub or the resident without a home that has to alter their experience on Second Life in order to avoid this type of thing instead of there being some type of supervision or moderation on these Linden Parcels. They are supposed to be open to everyone and free to use by everyone not just the script kiddies. I'm an average resident and I can't even run simple scripts (dance hud) on these parcels and yet all this is going on unchecked.

18 minutes ago, RachelWales said:

There are many Sims that give a little leeway on states of undress so I don't agree with your interpretation. I think "safe" implies free from pushing and overly obnoxious particles. Also, should imply freedom from harassment.

But he is correct in his interpretation, where as yours is more a long the lines of "I wish it would mean that".

Yes, there might be sims, that also allow you to show up naked, but they are in private ownership. You need to know the place, to know its specific rules. And even they, those rules could change on a whim or the place itself just vanishes. Freedom from harassment can't be guaranteed anywhere on SL, as soon as you have the potential chance of encountering another person. 

21 minutes ago, RachelWales said:

Actually I think it's a good thing that the forum didn't shut down.

I'm not saying the threads should be deleted (never mentioned to terminate the entire forum), but locked down, so people can't comment.

17 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

But he is correct in his interpretation, where as yours is more a long the lines of "I wish it would mean that".

Yes, there might be sims, that also allow you to show up naked, but they are in private ownership. You need to know the place, to know its specific rules. And even they, those rules could change on a whim or the place itself just vanishes. Freedom from harassment can't be guaranteed anywhere on SL, as soon as you have the potential chance of encountering another person. 

I'm not saying the threads should be deleted (never mentioned to terminate the entire forum), but locked down, so people can't comment.

Harassment in my mind is hate speech whether it be against women, minorities or those with different sexual preferences. Things go on at Safe Hub which aren't acceptable. It's in LL best interest to keep an eye on these places because there may come a day when they see a lawsuit because of the actions or words of a troll.

Of course when you interact with different people you are going to disagree on things but hate speech and harassment are things that no one should be expected to tolerate anywhere, even SL.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RachelWales said:

Harassment in my mind is hate speech whether it be against women, minorities or those with different sexual preferences. Things go on at Safe Hub which aren't acceptable. It's in LL best interest to keep an eye on these places because there may come a day when they see a lawsuit because of the actions or words of a troll.

Of course when you interact with different people you are going to disagree on things but hate speech and harassment are things that no one should be expected to tolerate anywhere, even SL.

I never said anyone should accept harassment. I was talking about statistics. Like...you can't create a place where you will never ever run the risk of encountering harassment or hate speech or aynthing offensive. As soon as you let people in, there is a chance for that. 

What should that lawsuit be about? Who should ever start it and based on what laws?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

What should that lawsuit be about? Who should ever start it and based on what laws?

Nothing, nobody, and there are no laws on it.

SL for all legal purposes is private and has their own rules, and as such the users are not protected under any hate speech or discrimination laws so long as LL isn’t actively endorsing it themselves.

If this was a child safe platform it may fall under those laws but SL is definitely not going to be COPPA compliant any time soon.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.