Safe Hubs = Unsafe Hubs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, RachelWales said:

When I first started talking about this issue, I was talking about how it would be for a new user to be teleported in an area where there are script kiddies, griefers, trolls etc. And this area does attract quite a number of them. I have blocked and de rendered them and it's a long list.

I know how to protect myself and will move freely in Second Life. If there is a chronic problem with this type of thing in a public area where anyone can be diverted and it's reported, the area should be looked at more closely. I don't need a newbie area but I do think that if this kind of thing is going on, for the sake of new users, it should be cleaned up.

Oh, I see.  You're one of those do-gooders who are always proposing more rules and regulations to keep people from doing things, not because THEY are being harmed from them, but because they think OTHERS need them.

Like you, I can take care of myself, and so can about 95% of everyone else with any experience on the internet.

I've been shunted to an Adult infohub many times when my log-in destination was offline.  I've never experienced any problems there except, of course, extreme lagginess due to crowding.

The whole thing is huge non-problem.  Let the thread RIP.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought only noobs and griefers hang out at infohubs.

The crowd at Ahern/Morris is mostly people who have been around a while and they're very nice. It was rowdier when voice was enabled, but that's been a while. The people at Nelsonia seem nice enough but tend to keep more to their own clique. No one goes to Arapaima anymore, it's too crowded..Oritz is filled with bots.

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh, I see.  You're one of those do-gooders who are always proposing more rules and regulations to keep people from doing things, not because THEY are being harmed from them, but because they think OTHERS need them.

Like you, I can take care of myself, and so can about 95% of everyone else with any experience on the internet.

I've been shunted to an Adult infohub many times when my log-in destination was offline.  I've never experienced any problems there except, of course, extreme lagginess due to crowding.

The whole thing is huge non-problem.  Let the thread RIP.

And you are one of those people who see anyone with a different point of view as a do-gooder or a whiner whether they have a valid point or not. Not too dismissive but it's predictable on these threads. Save the name calling. I'm not particularly good. At least I'm not a sycophant who says whatever to stick with the status quo here. No matter what.

C'mon.

And you don't know me, just because I'm civil doesn't mean I'm a bleeding heart. It's just good business not to chase people away from SL. The numbers are dwindling and perhaps a less toxic atmosphere in areas would chase fewer people away.

Edited by RachelWales
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

The crowd at Ahern/Morris is mostly people who have been around a while and they're very nice. It was rowdier when voice was enabled, but that's been a while. The people at Nelsonia seem nice enough but tend to keep more to their own clique. No one goes to Arapaima anymore, it's too crowded..Oritz is filled with bots.

The people at Ahern have been decent. Nelsonia on the other hand is a cesspool.

4 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

To be fair if you’re running hardware that can be damaged by excessive use then it’s because you haven’t maintained your hardware.

Video cards are designed to be tapped out, they won’t overheat or damage themselves if they’re able to cool themselves properly. If particles in SL cause your gpu to suffer actual damage then you need to clean your PC more often and address the airflow in the case.

Thermal protection and active clock management has been a thing since... I think the FX series of Nvidia cards, 2003? So literally SL’s introduction.

So yes, in that case it is the victims fault. The people who would do that are assholes but if you’re actually affected by it there were like, 10 things to do to avoid that entirely.

And again on the law thing to summarize, SL has a policy for it, but it’s not illegal. Technically someone could set up a virtual KKK rally and it’s entirely legal so long as Linden Labs doesn’t endorse or promote it,  but they also don’t have to actually do anything about it. Of course they don’t allow it because that’s not something anyone wants on SL but it wouldn’t be illegal.

Not everyone has a computer that can handle too many particles that overload a Sim. And really, if there is a chronic problem like too many griefers and script kiddies then Second Life should take a look at it and come up with solutions.

But we can agree to disagree. If people are paying to become members and are contributing to SL financially by buying products, supporting venues etc, there should be a reasonable expectation that their computer isn't going to be fried because of excessive particles on a parcel where they aren't supposed to be like a Linden parcel.

Not a reasonable expectation that they should have known or they somehow deserve it. The area should be monitored and cleaned up.

Edited by RachelWales
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I used to hang around Morris way back in 2009. I still go back every now and then and yes, its not a zoo at all.

4 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

No. You’re just wrong.

Your computer won’t be damaged by anything in SL in any way unless you have caked your PC and dust and locked it in a small cabinet with no airflow. Even then it would be a stretch.

She could be using an apu where the thermal paste somehow dried out causing thermal shutdowns.

21 hours ago, RachelWales said:

And you are one of those people who see anyone with a different point of view as a do-gooder or a whiner whether they have a valid point or not. Not too dismissive but it's predictable on these threads. Save the name calling. I'm not particularly good. At least I'm not a sycophant who says whatever to stick with the status quo here. No matter what.

C'mon.

And you don't know me, just because I'm civil doesn't mean I'm a bleeding heart. It's just good business not to chase people away from SL. The numbers are dwindling and perhaps a less toxic atmosphere in areas would chase fewer people away.

SL has always had toxic people. It’s always had griefers, bullies, nut jobs, psychopaths and all manner of people in between. Here are some simple truths :

1. You have a block button

2. You don’t have to respond to anyone on voice or IM. You can ignore them, block them and just move on.

3. You don’t have to log into SL. 

4. Stay away from adult regions.

5. Most important. SL is not for the faint of heart or those who are easily offended. It never has been, will be, shall be. It is a melting pot of attitudes and cultures that gives people some sense of anonymity in their actions. It’s a place where a overweight person can be a beautiful supermodel, a trans person can be whoever and whatever they want to be, a disabled home bound person can walk and travel. But, On the other hand, it can also be a place to express a side of yourself that you might not otherwise present in RL and a place where you can say things that might wel get you in trouble in RL.

I really don’t know what else to say to you besides...welcome to Second Life. If it’s too much for you, log out and go play WOW or something.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MarissaOrloff said:

She could be using an apu (?) where the thermal paste somehow dried out causing thermal shutdowns.

Hardware problems can affect SL. A useful test is to run the Unreal Engine 4 test, "The Valley". "Extreme performance and stability test for PC hardware: video card, power supply, cooling system. Check your rig in stock and overclocking modes with real-life load! Also includes interactive experience in a beautiful, detailed environment." It makes a graphics card do about everything it can do. Just start it and let it run for half an hour. If you get bored, you can take control and explore the valley, but you don't have to. It gives you a tour by default. Nothing much happens there; it's not a game, just a very pretty graphics test built with a game engine.

It's from 2013, so it's appropriate for SL-level hardware. (There's a later version, "Superposition", if you have a modern gamer PC.)

If your computer can run The Valley reliably, it's OK for SL, which is less demanding.  If it can't, time for computer maintenance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, animats said:

Hardware problems can affect SL. A useful test is to run the Unreal Engine 4 test, "The Valley". "Extreme performance and stability test for PC hardware: video card, power supply, cooling system. Check your rig in stock and overclocking modes with real-life load! Also includes interactive experience in a beautiful, detailed environment." It makes a graphics card do about everything it can do. Just start it and let it run for half an hour. If you get bored, you can take control and explore the valley, but you don't have to. It gives you a tour by default. Nothing much happens there; it's not a game, just a very pretty graphics test built with a game engine.

It's from 2013, so it's appropriate for SL-level hardware. (There's a later version, "Superposition", if you have a modern gamer PC.)

If your computer can run The Valley reliably, it's OK for SL, which is less demanding.  If it can't, time for computer maintenance. 

An apu is a cpu with integrated graphics.Superposition and Valley are great stress tests that also support opengl (what SL uses). Firestrike and Timespy are other really good tests from 3dMark as well. https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark  And for a whole computer benckmark checkout the Performance Test from Passmoark (select free trial) https://www.passmark.com/products/performancetest/index.php

Edited by MarissaOrloff

If a griefer is crashing your computer, it’s probably crashing the video driver, not overheating anything. It’s extremely hard to overheat a CPU or GPU that’s properly installed and getting decent airflow. If it was a thermal issue from running too hard, you’d be crashing in SL all the time.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, animats said:

Universal benchmarks are useful but they do not test stability, If you want to actually test your GPU to make sure its stable and wont thermal throttle itself into oblivion, use Furmark.

The fuzzy donut of death.

https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

On cards without active thermal management or ones with extremely high overclocks or out of recommended spec power delivery you can actually kill a card with furmark. So be careful. With a stock out of the box gpu, integrated graphics or anything low power in general its not a problem. But if youre the type to push your R9 280x to 550 watts on water with the highest OC you can hit before it bluescreens, just dont. Running that 1050ti as it came, then youre all good.

The idea is to run it until the temperature stabilizes on the bottom graph. If you can maintain a stable temperature, regardless of how high it is, and not lose framerate and clock speeds due to thermal throttling then your card is stable.

Prime95 is the CPU equivalent, its a program that uses pretty much every aspect of your CPU to find new prime numbers. It has the main feature of being software to run to find new primes but it has a torture test option that just lets it go ham on your CPU. Its in the same sense a stability test, if you can maintain your clockspeed and not thermal throttle to death then youre all good.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html

This wont harm any stock speed processor. If your cpu gets too hot, itll thermal throttle and eventually safe shutdown. If you have an overclock you might draw too much power and damage your cpus power delivery and potentially the processor itself. However if you are overclocking then you already know what this software is and what it does anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.