Why aren't Second Lifers supporting SOPA?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

laguhable, and to think SL original conspiracy nut is onboard with it is entirely picture perfect.

I don't need any propaganda, I can read it just fine... and it does nothing for "the little guys", what it does do is give anyone with the money to throw at it the arbitrary ability to attack any and all businesses that host user based content.... without even the limited protections of DMCA. The more money you can throw at it, the more efficient the process becomes, and there is absolutely no accountability.

and the proposal isn't to just blacklist domains (although that's bad enough by itself), but mandates blocking specific content, regardless of source, which therefore necessitates both path tracking and in process monitoring.... the bill for which isn't going to be footed by the government, or even the companies that have to implement it (turning every service provider into a paranoid police force), it'll be footed by the little guys. and guess what? it isn't even going to slow the flood of illegal content, because even if those systems were in place overnight, the whole thing can't be maintaianed faster than it's worked around.... and it still doesn't target the people actually dealing in stolen content.

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that, but chances are that your average congress critter with barely enough savvy to open an email account probably doesn't get that.

and for the record, if I ordered said toxic chemicals and they were sent by the proper means, you're damn right I would be screaming, only it wouldn't be censorship, it'd be theft, if they didn't deliver.

a big pipe hooked up to some trucks? I begin to see where public education is failing miserably...

Knowl Paine wrote:

I wish it was possible to give everything in the World to the individuals who so desperately seek wealth and for them to know in their hearts that there is nothing left to take. Then I would ask them, "now what do we do"? You won! You have it all; now what? 

That's already happening. Its called the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

It's about FOREIGN piracy. That means it will affect YOUR COUNTRY -- particularly if you are in Europe, Russia, China and some other high pirating areas.

That is EXACTLY my point.

Some smart*** Senator, which i didn't vote for, whose name i don't even know, from a country i don't live in tries to pass a law that affects me.     NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and btw, are you really suggesting that all other countries except the USA are only there to violate IP Rights ? That the average american is innocent and all foreigners (from your point of view) are guilty by definition?

I sure hope i misunderstand you there, otherwise you threading some serioulsly dangerous terrain. 

Prokofy Neva wrote:

For all you smarties pointing out that this is merely an American bill in Congress and therefore has no relevance to the rest of the world, and make it seem as if raising the question of why SLers don't support it is some kind of ethno-centric crime, again, I suggest you go read the bill.

It's about FOREIGN piracy. That means it will affect YOUR COUNTRY -- particularly if you are in Europe, Russia, China and some other high pirating areas.

Yusss...but we smarties are aware that however much it may or may not affect us, as citizens of other nations, we may not vote in the USA. Odd that, innit?

We smarties are long used to US laws affecting us, despite not having any say in the matter.

You can CAPITALISE as much as you WANT but that will not CHANGE the FACT that WHATEVER we think, we have no RIGHT to VOTE in the USA!

And, to be honest, if I got the chance to say my piece over US policies, copyright issues would be waaaaay down the list of my priorities.

I am going to share an opinion here, but please keep in mind, I am not a Lawyer, or LAW, and this is strictly my personal opinion.

1. I do not Support SOPA Because it violates our U.S Constitution and amendments.

2. I do not Want Censorship of the internet.

3. Second Life Copybot & DMCA, it is impossible to Control the CopyBot for right now, it will never stop no matter what and the only thing we can do as SL residents really is Deal with it, file DMCA, and Abuse Report CopyBot's and Griefers, and the supporters of such. Hey I hate people stealing all these hairs and giving them away to newbs, if we get a better community who actually acres and doesn't use stolen content, and Content Developers who will be more than willing to work with new people to support content creation, There will always be evil on the grid including a CopyBot, but for the most part people will be willing to buy legally.

4. Then there is Software Piracy, and Game Piracy, and Game Modding.

I do not agree with Piracy, I try not to violate a TOS, OR CS on any game, or service, however I modify anyting I want to about any game I want to such as the interface of a game. If I purcahse a PS3, I will modify it or do whatever I want with it just Like Hotz did, and I really dont care what Sony thinks about it because its my software/hardware copy, and I never signed any agreement with Sony for example.

Sometimes people cant afford to pay the expesnive Cost of software so they pirate it or find a crack for it, I can easily crack any software trial by simply using a program called run as date and run the file as that date all the time so that it doesnt detect that I have had it for 30 days that might or might not be legal, but if I can't afford to pay for something that is what I do, however I make absolutely no profit off of any of it, so I dont see what harm it would cause to people although I have never illegally pirated movies, and sold them, or made any profit off another persons work.

Music such as music on a radio, I record what I want when I please such as Video, Audio, Games, or Record songs from YouTube sometimes, I am aware that I don't own rights to that music, or art, I never make a profit off of it I keep it strictly fan based, and if I am in violation of a Law, then how would they even know unless the government is spying on me to begin with.

In general I support the Content Creators OF SL, as there is no reason at all why people should be Copybotting other peoples work, giving it away to newbs and destroy SL. There are plenty of free items in SL, there are some creators ive met who give away free skins and hairs Legit ones to newbies who truly need some help, and most imporantly Content in SL doesn't cost much I mean a Hair costs $1 USD or less to buy so why Steal in SL there is no point and no reason.

But Piracy is Piracy?

There are many forms of piracy where it be SL, I believe that what I do be considered fair use and within the Law, while other people may have other opinions it is up to them of what they believe in. I think Creators of content have rights over their work, but sometimes the whole Anti Piracy thing goes way too far not talking about in SL but piracy as far as software,movies and games, and other digital works.

If I wanted to take a snapshot of my SL avatar, or a video in another game like All Points Bulletin, or World OF Warcraft, they own copyrights over their digital works, but I believe that is fair use for example, now could they DMCA my video on YouTube or request a take down maybe, I am not fully up to date on all these content protection laws, but I will never support Internet Censorship, otherwise the United States OF America might as well call themselves China or something.

But because I have different Opinions on outside of SL stuff does that mean I support Stealing in SL, absolutely not, while I have been accused by some of being a griefer, or some random LulzTroll, or Thief in SL, I have yet to see actual proof of this, and again SL is not protected in any way for content creators really. People will always fall into Ignorance on our grid or community as a whole for example someone Griefs in someone elses name Hi, My name is (Player A) I am griefing for revenge people believe that sometimes and that is absolutely stupid. Sure I have enemies people who I have pissed off big times for being against theft in SL and really they think its funny to try to grief in my name its too obvious to LL and to most others I know. Just because a person knows how to Troll, Grief, or what a CopyBot is, how to cheat, exploit, or Beta Test, or a Computer Tech does not make them a griefer in any way at all, just like a gun shop in RL that sells guns doesn't make them bad Guns don't kill people, people kill people you know the famous quotes from the internet type of thing, but really Technology evolved over so many years no I dont know all my history, but I still remember the good old bow & arrow used for hunting by the natives and such for example Technology and knowledge is not evil is my point. An Open Mind is always good.

*As Far as SL Piracy*

It will not easily come to an end until Linden Lab comes in with a Solution to protect users content with a more secured way that can't be cracked client wise, which might be hard to do with an old game like this, but I agree LL could add some measures to prevent a lot of griefing in certain ways, but beyond that it is hard to protect content, we just have to try our bests in SL for now like it or not I will always support Authentic SL Creations, so will my friends I know, and I do my best to attempt to get people to buy legit items when they are wearing stolen stuff and I see it.

No I do not support SOPA, or Any Type OF Internet Censorship! (Say No To It) Don't let the United States Be Lost to Censorship!. *The Government has no right to control what knowledge we have, what sites we can visit, or what we can do, if a person is illegally profiting from software or something illegally then they can be dealt with, but fair use of software, games and music isn't a big problem, I could understand illegally selling them, or profiting, or in a virtual game like SL.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/sopa-stop-online-piracy-act-lawmaker-opposition-grows-as-debate-heats-up/2011/11/18/gIQADBdQZN_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop

We all know what sony did with their money and power, and Hotz, Hotz didn't really do anything illegal he modified his PS3, and shared his knowledge for people who wanted to do the same, as a result, sony got hacked they compromised Thousands/Millions of users information because they couldn't protect anyone. They then used their money Their Power to do nothing but get court orders for disclosure of IP addresses of who visited his MOD site and such. Do not allow Abuse, or support SOPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hotz

This is a good example to show how an Internet War, or Uprising will occur sound SOPA be passed into law, imagine the internet rage, War, fighting worse than occupy wallstreet.

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

So if some one list copyrighted material for sale on the SL marketplace and that item shows up in a Google search, under SOPA who is responsible, who get fined and what content or web page or web site gets taken down?

whomever has the deepest pockets and the most to lose

Void Singer wrote:

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

So if some one list copyrighted material for sale on the SL marketplace and that item shows up in a Google search, under SOPA who is responsible, who get fined and what content or web page or web site gets taken down?

whomever has the deepest pockets and the most to lose

Or just the lowest paid lawyers.

The corps, big business, the 1%ers, and republican types can afford some lawyers with very deep pockets and a lot of judges who 'can't afford not' to rule for them.

The rest of us are screwed, as our lawyers are considered "parasite plaintiffs attorneys" and usually have an office out in inner city somewhere where they have to step over a crack addict in the morning to open up shop...

(the average attorney in the US makes I think, 65k/year - barely anything when you consider the costs of waging suit, and that includes the big corp attorneys, so the 'real on the ground attorneys for regular folks' are often poorer than their working class clients.)

Amanda Dallin wrote:

How do you know many in SL do not support SOPA.  I would think many in SL do not bring their RL politics into SL. 

SL is an ideal venue for people across political spectrums to meet and discuss with both their own camps and the other camps.

The thing is thoughm SOPA is largely disliked by -BOTH- the right and the left... and not relevant to the non-USA save where the USA might try to interfere with other nation's sovereignty.

Amanda Dallin wrote:

How do you know many in SL do not support SOPA.  I would think many in SL do not bring their RL politics into SL. 

Actually, that's a very, very good point. We don't even know the most basic details about fellow SLers' identities, so how on earth would you know how they vote politically and what they do and do not support?

Hey Prof, why don't you spend your time perusing the Marketplace writing down item numbers and sending them to LL for copyright infringement?  Hell, in just looking for a new outfit I must have come across hundreds of "illegal" items, Star Wars, Avatar, Star Trek, Dune, and many many others. Who, exactly, is responsible for this? LL? the creator? Who should police these items? do you really think George Lucas and James Cameron are in SL? Should i send them a letter? Please help me, i need your advice.

Thanks,

Drake.

PS... Long live the fighters!!!!!!

Prokofy Neva wrote:

They should.

This is anti-piracy legislation that would establish the rule of law over intellectual property rights rather than the code-as-law and arbitrariness we have now in the TOS of platform providers and their dilatory handling of DMCA cases.

There's no "censorship" involved in legitimately pursuing pirates, and there are thresholds that would have to be met and defense mechanisms within the law itself that would prevent the things the hysterics are claiming would happen, i.e. all of Facebook being shut down over one person's pirated movie (ridiculous).

Second Lifers should be the natural constituent of this legislation, but if anything, the open sourceniks who prevail are probably opposed.

But has anyone thought about it and are they writing their Congress people? I wrote mine, fortunately they support the bill. I hope it passes.

"Power corrupts.  absolute power corrupts absolutely." 

There are a lot of anti-piracy measures I do support but not this one.  It is too broad in scope and too open to abuse.

And lest I be accused of plagiarism, here is the accurate quote in it's greater context with proper accreditation.

"But if we might discuss this point until we found that we nearly agreed, and if we do agree thoroughly about the impropriety of Carlylese denunciations and Pharisaism in history, I cannot accept your canon that we are to judge Pope and King unlike other men, with a favourable presumption that they did no wrong. If there is any presumption it is the other way, against the holders of power, increasing as the power increases. Historic responsibility has to make up for the want of legal responsibility. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority, still more when you superadd the tendency or the certainty of corruption by authority. There is no worse heresy than that the office sanctifies the holder of it."   

John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Perrie Juran wrote:

"Power corrupts.  absolute power corrupts absolutely." 

I was disappointed to see you say this; I've gotten sick of hearing that from people who are merely spouting phrases and have not the slightest clue what they're talking about.

Then you embarrass me by giving almost the full comment which I'd never bothered to find (shame on me). Interesting that every single person who has 'quoted' it in my experience has left out the word 'tends', isn't it?. I think Acton in the phrase 'Great men are almost always bad men.." (again the qualifier, you notice) meant 'great' as in of high office or position, not 'great' as in great. The last sentence you quoted is, I think, a more repeatable and true statement than anything else in his comment.

I also learned that the reason for his comment was his opposition to the Vatican's instigation of the doctrine of Papal infallibility: the idea that by taking office, a man became suddenly infallible. At the risk of offending my Catholic friends (and I do have some, heathen though I be), that concept is the most wrong-headed idea in modern Christian history.

I wonder how many people who have trumpeted that quotation as if they just made it up know that Lord Acton sympathised with the Confederates in the Civil War, because he believed in the cause they were fighting for: State's Rights against a tyrannical Federal government. Never mind that the particular (or should I say peculiar?) right in question was that of owning human beings.

Thanks. I always profit from reading history.

Oh, the OP: bad idea. Early in my learning about IP I realized there was just no way in Hell that any normal judge or jury would be able to figure out what was going on. It isn't mystical or anything, it just takes a lot of study to get even the basic idea of what is happening when you click 'Google' in your Favorites list. There's no way my federal government (or anyone else's) is in a position to make rules about what can and cannot be transmitted based on packet content. Give it ten or twenty more years and get back to me, in the meantime we'll just have to tough it out.

ETA: I went back and re-read this and wanted to make it clear: my comment about Lord Acton's political sympathies in no way affects my opinion of his statement about power and place. I fully agree with the line "There is no worse heresy than that the office sanctifies the holder of it." I fully disagree with his support of the CSA.  

Based on your logic Dillon, you must really hate the Declaration of Independence as it was written by Thomas Jefferson, a slave-owning white man.

I think your analysis is based on a logical fallacy, namely ad hominem. Simply because someone had some quality that you find reprehensible doesn't mean that everything they said or did was wrong. 

Absolute power does corrupt absolutely. You don't think absolute power would corrupt you? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.