Is SL dead?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is not dead by any means. My thoughts are that the marketplace has removed a massive amount of traffic from inworld shopping. I remember when I used to like going shopping because you would almost always meet someone new since so many people where out and about in the stores and malls. This doesn't seem like it's going to change anytime soon unless it comes from the users. Marketplace web site shopping brings SL a lot of commission: 2% plus 5% plus 240L$ a day for enhanced plus $0.30 per transaction on the buyer's side so to them it is a monetary plus. However for serious minded users doing business in SL things are a lot calmer inworld and it is easier to work with fewer interruptions. One just has to look for the public places in SL which can be tough since so many are private homes but there are still a lot of public places to hang out with nice and fun people.

I have to agree , but i have a theory that what happens at my sim is very similar to what happens at most new and promising sims, we do everything we can to make ourselves visible in the searches, even spend money on ads etc, then we get traffic points ( well some don't even get that far ) then what i've been noticing happening is green dots start to show up one at a time in like 10 or 20 minute intervals, and theres only 1 at a time so they leave, they don't realize that about 10 minutes ago there was already someone there wondering the same thing they were, " where's all the people" so no matter how cool or nice that place is aesthetically, no one wants to hang around alone cause you got the one green dot at a time syndrome going, I have to wonder how really popular and well populated sims get their massive green dot crowd "coral" effect that soon snowballs into a sim thats hopping all the time with people, how do they get that initialized in the beginning, before they run out of startup money and would inevitably fold soon afterward. Makes ya wonder, how they do it? I know there are really few numbers of successful sims in ratio to unsuccessful and unpopulated dead sims when you think about how big the ratio difference the odds for a successful sim really just become staggering. Anyone want to elaborate how they do it? Maybe sl should have some kind of built in buddy teleport system then the green dots could show up in pairs.

not having a lot of people reunited in one single place doesnt mean its dead.

socializing in-world is not one of my priorities, i love to explore and look around and if i dont see people near i dont mind at all.

there are a lot of people in-world, some just dont care to get together in a group.

people are enjoying SL, some in their own solitary ways :)

youre right, is less laggy.

the chances of being grifed is minimal.

more privacy.

you dont have to care about what others think.

no one will interrupt your fun. (except maybe in IMs)

all the poseballs are available.

the scenery looks better.

there are many reasons for people to evade going to places that has a lot of people.

slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb.jpg

Sometimes I find it amusing that I did not know that I was supposed to HATE HATE HATE Linden Labs until I came to the Forums.

Yes, they make some dumb decisions but really now.

I think I'll write a book, "How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Learned To Love My Second Life."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.